Arena: How to stop being overwhelmed?

Hey guys, just a general question because I want to get better at 3v3.

Back in the day I used to play @ 2k rating in 2v2, which was pretty relaxed. I quit after that during wrath, and just now returned and started playing 3v3.

We're kinda stuck at 1800 rating, and while I'm not sure how good/bad my teammates are, I know I have a lot of room to improve.

Whenever we play, I just can't take in all the information that's being thrown at me. I also play a bunch of PvE so I feel confident with my rotation and the fact I don't need to pay much attention to it, but I still mess it up occasionally (use a combo point generator while already at 5 points etc). I got everything on a keybind, even targeting my enemies (target arena1-3), but rarely remember to use that and just return to using tab to target, which messes me up occasionally.

In fact I'm so overwhelmed that I have no clue about buffs/debuffs that anyone has on them, including me. The only reason I don't miss everything is because of GladiatorlosSA addon. I rarely get a kick right and sometimes even try to kick an uninterruptable cast (like during fade) because I see it's uninterruptible, but don't realize it in time.

How to I just calm down and take in all the information?
    Last edited by psychoholic123; 2014-12-30 at 10:05 AM. Reason: more info
    Remember
    Me

10+ Year Old Account
    By playing. It sounds weird and I am/was in the same position in 3s. It's really overwhelming, but by playing and and settings up strategies you'll be able to order the information much more, at least in my experience.

Arena targetting is the same.

By playing a lot you and by setting up a strategy with your teammates (basically knowing what each person should do in situations) you'll also become more confident, which in return means you'll automatically become a bit more relaxed as well.

Deleted
    First of all i think 1.8k isnt that bad if you havent played in a long time, i was in a similar situation when i came back to WoW, i found a few things that helped me.
    1. Bind corectly, tab aint a reliable bind for targeting, i use shift 123, took some time but now im targeting twice as fast than i was used to when i was tabbing trough enemies.
    2. GladiatorSA, "B*tch say what?" .. get rid of it if you are not familiriazed with the spells, i use Omnibar, easy to configure and you can keep track of whatever you want.
    3. If you took that long of a break, you can take a look at what has changed a bit more(unless you did alrdy) http://www.wowhead.com/news=238778/g...cc-disarmament
    4. Even if arenajunkies is dead i still find it a good source of information when it comes to pvp, you should give it a try.
    5. Skirmishes is maybe one of the best things that happened to WoD for us pvpers, you can practice everything there, macros new keybinds you name it.
    6. Use CC properly/at the right time, tell your teammates the same, dont just use that stun/trap or whatever because its off cd. use it when you its more likely to score a kill, same with any interrupt, no point to interrupt the healer if there is nothing going on, short story is that you want to always have some follow up on the CC.
    7. Communication is key, call out every important move that you are doing or about to do, cc/defensive cds you name it, your partners should do the same.
    8. It might sound dumb, but i usually take a 5 minute break every 30 minutes or so when im playing arenas, the games can be stressfull and clearing your head can help, take some air, stretch or whatever calms you :}

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by psychoholic123 View Post
    Hey guys, just a general question because I want to get better at 3v3.

Back in the day I used to play @ 2k rating in 2v2, which was pretty relaxed. I quit after that during wrath, and just now returned and started playing 3v3.

We're kinda stuck at 1800 rating, and while I'm not sure how good/bad my teammates are, I know I have a lot of room to improve.

Whenever we play, I just can't take in all the information that's being thrown at me. I also play a bunch of PvE so I feel confident with my rotation and the fact I don't need to pay much attention to it, but I still mess it up occasionally (use a combo point generator while already at 5 points etc). I got everything on a keybind, even targeting my enemies (target arena1-3), but rarely remember to use that and just return to using tab to target, which messes me up occasionally.

In fact I'm so overwhelmed that I have no clue about buffs/debuffs that anyone has on them, including me. The only reason I don't miss everything is because of GladiatorlosSA addon. I rarely get a kick right and sometimes even try to kick an uninterruptable cast (like during fade) because I see it's uninterruptible, but don't realize it in time.

How to I just calm down and take in all the information?
    The answer is very simple: play a lot more games.

Deleted
    I have only one advise, play to learn, not to win. Don't focus on your current rating, if you were once at 1800 (this season) you should be able to hit it again, so don't be afraid to drop to 1600. After each game talk with your team-mates what was wrong, what were the mistakes, what worked, etc. I see so many people doing 50 matches in a row without analysing a single one of them.

This might be stressful for many people (lose games just for the sake of learning from them) but it really worked for me in the past (haven't done any serious pvp this season).

Honestly I'm pretty sure I'd click the unit frames on Gladius for targeting before I tried to tab target in arenas. Nothing good can come out of that I can't imagine. But honestly it sounds like you just need practice. 1800 isn't bad at the moment, and it's still early in the season so plenty of time to push in a few months after you get more used to things.

The best advice I can give you, aside from just practice and play more, is to focus on one thing at a time. Get comfortable using your targeting binds, don't worry about buffs/debuffs, crazy advanced tactics, anything like that. Just focus on targeting, once that becomes second nature focus on something else. Maybe after you get targeting down then make sure to focus on what buffs the enemy has, so that you know if they have aura mastery up (honestly the number of 2k+ players that kick into my aura mastery is astounding so don't feel bad). Then maybe focus on DR timers so you can make sure to land your CC as soon as possible without clipping DR and making a mess.

If you try to take in everything at once it's going to be pretty hard. Think of it kind of like mathematics. You need to start small and work your way up, you're gonna have a hard time in a calculus class if you never took algebra. Same idea, you'll have a hard time putting all the pieces together if you don't spend some time getting used to the individual pieces at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirea View Post
    I have only one advise, play to learn, not to win. Don't focus on your current rating, if you were once at 1800 (this season) you should be able to hit it again, so don't be afraid to drop to 1600. After each game talk with your team-mates what was wrong, what were the mistakes, what worked, etc. I see so many people doing 50 matches in a row without analysing a single one of them.
    This is really good advice. Was doing 3s earlier on my Monk, I just started playing him a couple days ago so still getting used to it and find myself confused as to what heal to use next (I imagine you're in a similar situation). I was playing Rogue/Boomkin/MW, at around 1800 (we were around 1950ish when healing on my Priest) but we spent a lot of the time just trying different things and tanked pretty hard to like 1650. None of us really cared of course because we knew we'd get back if we wanted to, but we were just trying random things. Some games I just sat in my damage stance and we opened healers and killed them in ~5 seconds, which was hilarious, and other games we lost equally as fast which was also kind of hilarious. But basically, don't be afraid to tank rating and don't be afraid to try different things to see what works and what doesn't. Remember just because something is considered the "best" in arenas doesn't mean that it's the only option, if you find something that works for you there's no reason not to do it in most cases.