Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    well it's not surprising to have opinions such that Ishoj has on a forum dedicated to wow

I don't play WoW. GW2 is really the only MMO I play right now, and Ishoj is basically correct.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishoj View Post
    It's also just about the only big name MMORPG where you can have a "perfect character," i.e. the best gear in the game etc., without any real effort or skill. This attracts people who couldn't accomplish that in games like WoW, FFXIV and Wildstar but still feel like they need to have a maxed out MMO character to feel satisfied about.
    This is pretty typical of people who don't get the concept that there are players out there who are tired of level and gear treadmilling in conjunction with subscription costs. They want to downtalk the fact that you're not beholden to a bunch of other players to progress your character beyond level cap and that your best gear won't expire in six months and need to be replaced by the next set of best gear so six months later it can be replaced by another set of best gear and become completely invalidated when the next xpac hits.

For those who like that style of gameplay? Great, whatever blows your hair back. GW 2 is for the rest of us.

P.S.: If you've never fully equipped a char in Ascended gear(I mean EVERY gear slot), you don't know what you're talking about in terms of effort.

Deleted
    I personally stopped using the Guild Wars forums here because some of the frequent posters were quite rude in my eyes. All I do now is lurk once every few days and see if something interesting pops up (well, until this post that is).

But some people already hit the nail on the head. There isn't much to discuss besides living story speculation. Tactics for dungeons and such are fully written out on different websites along with builds. Not to mention these forums see less activity than the official forums so there is little reason to go here. Shame really, I like the MMOchampion forums.
    Last edited by mmoc973e6c390d; 2015-01-01 at 07:12 AM.

My personal reason why I spend less time here than before: I stay away from toxic communities. This here has mostly lost the positive vibe imho, people jump negativity bandwagons far too fast. People who defend the game are flagged as white knights (sure, there are some, but not all who agree with certain game decisions are positive-only defenders).

What I want to add here: I feel that a lot of trolling is hidden behind "I'm allowed to have my opinion" posts. As this is tolerated here I certainly know where my place is. I'm tired of arguing against stupidness and ignorance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    My personal reason why I spend less time here than before: I stay away from toxic communities. This here has mostly lost the positive vibe imho, people jump negativity bandwagons far too fast. People who defend the game are flagged as white knights (sure, there are some, but not all who agree with certain game decisions are positive-only defenders).

What I want to add here: I feel that a lot of trolling is hidden behind "I'm allowed to have my opinion" posts. As this is tolerated here I certainly know where my place is. I'm tired of arguing against stupidness and ignorance.
    I'm sorry but this has so many contradictory statements I don't know where to start. Basically your post screams "overreacting, hypocritical fanboy". I can't take you seriously when you claim that reasoned negative opinions = toxic community. Hence the facetious nickname of white knights.

A lot of people have a very subjective view of what constitutes "trolling" in online communities. There is no official universal outline of behavior which identifies "trolling". It is only natural the term is interpreted so widely by so many people across different communities.

What Arena.net might see as trolling may be perfectly acceptable on GWGuru, what goes on GWGuru may not be passable on MMO-C, et cetera.

I think it is good and sound intellectual practice to keep the loose and ill-defined parameters of "trolling" in mind. As it is quite easy for one to simply label views and speaking tone they do not agree with as "trolling" above the safety net of "Well, that's trolling to me!"

It is even easier though for one to use the safety of such personal definitions to attack the character of others they disagree with in view or speaking tone. "Oh Bob, plays WoW all the time. Obviously Bob's negative view of GW2 is biased and his opinion invalid!" / "This is front for certain elements whom don't like so-and-so to say such-and-such about GW!"

It is intellectually dangerous to rely on Ad Hominem, Straw Mans and Arguments from Authority to dismiss opinion and debate.

Lastly, I would ask that commenters read the OP here more closely. The issue raised is systemic across many sites. So counter arguments such as MMO-C being a WoW website "so what can you expect?" do not address the topic in macro.

10+ Year Old Account
    This forum (Guild Wars 2) is one of the few where people talking/discussing on a neutral/friendly level most of the time. The official forums are not as rude as other gaming forums, but the trend to complain about everything is even there.
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Lastly, I would ask that commenters read the OP here more closely. The issue raised is systemic across many sites. So counter arguments such as MMO-C being a WoW website "so what can you expect?" do not address the topic in macro.
    what sites? the reddit subforum has the second most subscribers for an mmo. I find the explanation of this being a subforum on a different games fan site of being valid.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    what sites? the reddit subforum has the second most subscribers for an mmo. I find the explanation of this being a subforum on a different games fan site of being valid.
    OP mentions GWGuru and official forums in contrast as well.

OP mentions GWGuru and official forums in contrast as well.
    Official forums seem fairly active. Guru has been dead ever since the official forums were opened.

Official forums seem fairly active. Guru has been dead ever since the official forums were opened.
    He said the official forums were active. He is saying by comparison the other forums are sparser.

People seem to post on this forum very sporadically, and even guildwars2guru forums are dwindling. Some of the class forums on that site haven't seen a new post in several months. People post on the official forums, so why are the fan site forums so sparse?
    If GW2 generated tons of discussion wouldn't there be a wealth, overflowing amount of topics being typed out across the internet? Would not streams of a guy assigning his traits total in the thousands of viewers? Would not 3rd party sites spawn calculators, theory crafts, gear analysis, content leaks and detailed blogs in legion?

That is a macro issue.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2015-01-01 at 05:39 PM.

right, GW2Guru has been dead ever since the official forums were opened, just as I pointed out. I don't frequent any other fan sites so I don't know about them. Reddit is super active, I know that though.

Would not 3rd party sites spawn calculators, theory crafts, gear analysis, content leaks and detailed blogs in legion?
    A lot of this has to do with optimisation and quite frankly when people wanted to optimise early on, everybody was very dismissive so most "serious" people stopped sharing the knowledge/math.

Keeping up sites takes effort and I can totally understand why someone would no longer be willing to maintain them for GW2.
    Reddit is super active, I know that though.
    Active sure, but it's mostly the same stuff being said over and over.
    PSA: click the cogwheel
    What is this armor?
    WORLDRECORD!!!!

and so on, whenever there is a real new discussion it's about some patch just like here.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Active sure, but it's mostly the same stuff being said over and over.
    PSA: click the cogwheel
    What is this armor?
    WORLDRECORD!!!!

and so on, whenever there is a real new discussion it's about some patch just like here.
    probably true. although every reddit I've been to is the same way

the only mmo that I have seen that has several active fan sites is WoW

I think people just got tired of putting so much effort into theorycrafting only to get ignored by the interns. I know it has worn me out and I don't bother with any in depth class discussions anymore.

I don't usually post about GW2 on mmo-c, so I don't really know what's going on here.

GW2guru on the other hand, I was very active on for a while, and I can say that it was/is a cess-pit. The mods managed it incredibly poorly. They let a group of griefers who were obsessed with GW1 and wouldn't let it go run wild and spoil pretty much every thread that was made. News thread? they pop in and circle-jerk bash the news. Discussion thread? they'd come in and start circle-jerk bashing GW2 as it related to the discussion, while talking about how much greater gw1 was.
    There was maybe a dozen such individuals, but they dominated the forums, fed each other through the like system, and were unimpeded by the mods. People complained about it, but the mods just wouldn't take action. Unsurprisingly, guru is desolate now.

Sounds about right Arewn. I've found some of the worst posters everywhere are GW1 vets, not all of course but a select few who can't let go of the fact that GW2 wasn't GW1 but with better graphics.

Deleted
    The subreddit is really weird, people post guides on how to run dungeons and stuff. People have been running that dungeon for two years and even back at launch none of them needed a detailed guide to finish.

Every now and then there's something interesting or useful posted but it's mostly just datamined stuff, 'gotta love the GW2 scenery' screencaps or pictures of characters with big mustaches cosplaying as pop culture references.
    Last edited by mmoce84939a4e2; 2015-01-01 at 10:24 PM.

Every now and then there's something interesting or useful posted but it's mostly just datamined stuff, 'gotta love the GW2 scenery screencaps or pictures of characters with big mustaches cosplaying as pop culture references.
    The amount of this is staggering. Though I think it makes sense for GW2. There is a large amount of vanity customization in the game. We see similar vanity threads in like Vindictus and Tera- also games with a high degree of vanity options.