Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Called Monkey View Post
    An argument can be made for Arcane with the Imp fight. The adds in the intermission phase need to go down quickly and Arcane provides the highest single target damage in the game as of now. This is of course something that should be discussed within the progression group if the intermission adds become a problem. It's a viable spec in almost every fight it just takes a lot of practice and a good understanding of the spec and fight
    You can save Mirror Image, Frozen Orb, and Icy Veins running Thermal Void and Frost Bomb for the transition and there is no way Arcane can touch that damage. You also have to consider that you wouldn't run Rune of Power on Imperator and Arcane isn't that much higher than frost right now.

Quote Originally Posted by onemanaleft View Post
    you make it sound like frost has more damage on the move than arcane?

both have 0 mobility so why is that worth bringing up, its just which does mroe dmg is better still
    Frost has way more globals to use while moving, using Arcane Barrage any time you have to move messes with your dps a lot. You also don't ever have to worry about Rune of Power as Frost.

I swapped from frost to arc last reset and was pretty happy with the results. Still need to practise it to be better but imo arc seems fine for everything but margok or tectus, and I won't be doing margok on mythic until after BRF is open so it's not really an issue right now.

Movement isn't so bad with ice floes really. Outside of tectus, that is, and you want fire for that anyways :P

The Patient Mountain Called Monkey's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamswow View Post
    You can save Mirror Image, Frozen Orb, and Icy Veins running Thermal Void and Frost Bomb for the transition and there is no way Arcane can touch that damage. You also have to consider that you wouldn't run Rune of Power on Imperator and Arcane isn't that much higher than frost right now.
    Difference between Incater's Flow and Rune of Power is not much so saying that Arcane is weak without Rune of Power is a false statement. Arcane has the highest single target damage hands down which is what I was discussing. Yes you can save all those cds as frost for the transition phase but the single target damage won't equal Arcane's.
    There were no screams, there was no time
    The mountain called Monkey had spoken
    It was only fire and then, nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Called Monkey View Post
    Difference between Incater's Flow and Rune of Power is not much so saying that Arcane is weak without Rune of Power is a false statement. Arcane has the highest single target damage hands down which is what I was discussing. Yes you can save all those cds as frost for the transition phase but the single target damage won't equal Arcane's.
    In Highmaul gear Arcane is about 5% higher than Frost with the correct enchants and talents on a Patchwerk fight. That is a sizable difference if you are pushing enrage on The Butcher but I'm talking about the boss that matters in this instance. The transition phase on Mar'gok lasts about 1 minute, You will have Thermal Void with Icy Veins and Mirror Image that will both be up for most of that minute. On top of that Frozen Orb will be feeding you procs to spam in to the Warmage with Frost Bomb. I really can't see how Arcane could beat that even saving CDs. You can kill Mar'gok as what ever spec on Normal or Heroic but I brought this all up talking about Mythic. Right now you will be doing your raid a disservice by not playing Frost or Fire (if you have no Enhance Shaman) on Mythic Mar'gok
    Last edited by Kamswow; 2015-01-07 at 01:38 PM.

One quick question:
    discussing movement as arcane, nobody ever mentions that if you move, you are not casting anything, thus regenerating mana.
    So, in theory, if you aren't capping mana, movement isn't absolute zero dps as arcane, compared to frost or fire (without procs, ofc)

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure that your ST will be significantly higher on Margok as frost as well since you can constantly abuse Frozen orb and frost bomb

As arcane you go oom on purpose twice a fight at least. After you go oom and you evocate the conserve phase is actually quite easy. It's just getting used to it. My mage is my alt and I do pretty well for my ilvl, almost to the point i want to make it my main.

This is a log from Heroic Impregnator vs a Frost mage and another Arcane mage. I play Arcane Mainspec (flavaflame)
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...1ngmK4#fight=2

Quote Originally Posted by prestilence View Post
    This is a log from Heroic Impregnator vs a Frost mage and another Arcane mage. I play Arcane Mainspec (flavaflame)
    For anyone looking at this log and isn't the greatest at dissecting them, I would take it with a grain of salt. The arcane mage in this log looks to be AOEing Volatile Anomalies full time, as well as a decent amount of padding on Arcane Remnants at the end of the fight, i'd sling shot in the dark and say 30-40% of the mages overall damage is just (mostly irrelevant) AOE.

For the record I do think Arcane is very competitive and in many cases superior ( and will be even more emphasized as more gear becomes available ), and I play it as one of my main specs, I switch to Fire for stuff like Twins/Tectus, Arcane for the rest until Mythic Mar'gok