Building a computer with music in mind

I am trying to put together a list of computer parts that would be great for recording music and rendering songs. The music recording will be coming from an electric drum set that will be applied to singing and guitars to be rendered together. With that in mind I am not sure where to start in terms of the sound portion of the build. I can piece most of what I think I need together but I get lost in the sound card and programs needed to come with it.

I am looking to spend as close to $1000 which includes having to buy windows 7 as well. If anyone could help me out with this build that would be great.

10+ Year Old Account
    PC not as important though I'd imagine an i7 for audio editing, maybe i5. Sound card could be useful or a pointless expense depending on how you plan to record your audio. If you want a balls to the walls sound card these are it.

Asus Xonar Essence STX
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZXR
    HT | OMEGA Claro Halo XT

For sound editing programs I've used Audacity and Sony SoundForge. Audacity being free is great. From everyone I hear that does flash animations they use Adobe Audition. I used to use it under it's previous name, Cool Edit Pro. Adobe just buys everything good and gives it their name.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZXR
    Haha, no. For making music a soundcard/interface specifically designed for that purpose beats any "gaming" soundcard by a mile. And if you're not going for the super expensive stuff you can get better price/quality ratio with this aswell.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Haha, no. For making music a soundcard/interface specifically designed for that purpose beats any "gaming" soundcard by a mile. And if you're not going for the super expensive stuff you can get better price/quality ratio with this aswell.
    So suggest something if you're so experienced on the subject? If you don't like Duke's suggestions then you should easily have something better to suggest.

The term "gaming sound card" is something I don't think is advertised with any of those sound cards as no one buys a sound card for gaming.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to have a computer for music with recording, you want to go with a Mac..... Simply because the software is superior for it.
    Pretty much all professionals using macs for it, at home and on stage.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Well, if you record most of your stuff, you dont need a killer pc. I have a intel core to quad, very old, 4gb ram, and it works fine for 90% of what i do.

If you use heavy plugins like Kontakt, then youll need a stronger pc.

Important thing for recording is your audiointerface, you dont need an audiointerface like Dukenuken mentioned, you need audiointerface specifically created for that purposes, with inputs and outputs for those big 6,3 jack connectors, preamps etc.

Usually an audio interface between 75$ - 200$ is more than enough, i can recommend M-Audio and Focusrite interfaces, i use them myself and they work good.

Spending more is pointless, because the difference in quality is almost non existent, if you want something better you need to spend at least like 500$ and more, which makes no sense if you are a beginner.

Microphones for recording, Shure SM57 are standart mics, everyone i know recommends them. Look for reviews you will be impressed, and they are not expensive.
    If you record drums, bass, guitars or other instruments, you should get 2 to start.

You really dont need nothing more, a midi keyboard is useful to play in some synths and stuff.

Later one, once you gained some experience, studio monitors will be needed, but i dont recommend to start with studio monitors, they are expensive and not needed right from the start.

You can PM me if you have more questions or if i didnt explain something good enough. Cheers!

- - - Updated - - -

I just realized that the drum set is electric, is it like a midi controller that records directly to the DAW? Do you record the guitars and singing yourself? because if not, that would change everything.

- - - Updated - - -

Dont listen to the guy that said you need a mac. I released a bunch of songs, i know plenty of music producers and most of them use a normal Windows computer.

I never had any problem, you make the music on an independent program, it doesnt matter if you use mac, windows, linux or a gameboy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreyken View Post
    W
    Dont listen to the guy that said you need a mac. I released a bunch of songs, i know plenty of music producers and most of them use a normal Windows computer.

I never had any problem, you make the music on an independent program, it doesnt matter if you use mac, windows, linux or a gameboy.
    If he wants to build a computer why settle for an inferior solution, and not go with what the majority uses....
    The software alone is second to none on the Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    If he wants to build a computer why settle for an inferior solution, and not go with what the majority uses....
    The software alone is second to none on the Mac.
    Tell me why using windows is an inferior solution please? I have booth and i used booth, and i tell you, the only difference is that on Macs you have Logic Pro. Thats it.

- - - Updated - - -

Logic pro is very used and famous, but not better than other DAW's, just different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreyken View Post
    Tell me why using windows is an inferior solution please? I have booth and i used booth, and i tell you, the only difference is that on Macs you have Logic Pro. Thats it.

- - - Updated - - -

Logic pro is very used and famous, but not better than other DAW's, just different.
    Now we're getting somewhere...
    Logic Pro is the market leader. Exactly... Now why Mac not IBM based?
    For the same reason why excel is standard in office environment.
    I would not have said go with a mac, if he wasn't saying he wants to go from scratch. But since he wants to, why not go with what's most commonly used in the field?
    The costs aspect is pretty much equal, when you combine hardware and software expenses.

Well, said like that it makes sense, you are right. My PC and Mac are kinda old, and werent really expensive, i thought with an 1000$ budget you cant get a nice mac, and the audio interface needed. If its possible to afford a decent Mac+ Audiointerface in that budget, than its a good investment.

I was probably being more in favor towards Windows and other programs like Cubase, Ableton and FL Studio because its what i most use, i didnt really think about the Macs. Im sorry for that.

Cheers!

Deleted
    Audio latency, ASIO driver support. The support forums on the audio device site is a must read for the builder for possible upcoming issues with hardware conflicts etc.