Sleep aids - Looking for something to help me work out.

Howdy folks, I normally don't venture into this area of the forums but I had a question and thought there might be some folks who could help.

My entire life I've had a shit time with sleep, it always seemed like I was built for a 30 hour day, because only around 20 hours of being awake does my body finally get the idea that it might want some sleep. This has becomes especially problematic when working out and dieting, I'm pretty heavy atm, 265lbsish, and I've started to diet/exercise a few times in the past (with good results) after about 4-6 weeks I start losing a few pounds but more importantly I gain more energy, and my sleep habits seem to get more fucked.... I end up doing 30+ hour days, or skipping the odd night off sleep and before long my internal rythme is just fucked, I'm awake at 4am for the 2nd night in a row ordering a large panzerrotti, 20 chicken wings, garlic bread and a poutine eating my way into a 3000+ calorie food coma.

Usually the problem is just falling asleep, I stay asleep for the most part fine.

I've tried some sleep teas and other settle ways of trying to get my normal hours (or just controlled hours) so I was wondering if anyone knew of any more effective sleep aids. Something available in Canada, preferably... for less then 50$ per week?

Quote Originally Posted by teddytous View Post
    Howdy folks, I normally don't venture into this area of the forums but I had a question and thought there might be some folks who could help.

My entire life I've had a shit time with sleep, it always seemed like I was built for a 30 hour day, because only around 20 hours of being awake does my body finally get the idea that it might want some sleep. This has becomes especially problematic when working out and dieting, I'm pretty heavy atm, 265lbsish, and I've started to diet/exercise a few times in the past (with good results) after about 4-6 weeks I start losing a few pounds but more importantly I gain more energy, and my sleep habits seem to get more fucked.... I end up doing 30+ hour days, or skipping the odd night off sleep and before long my internal rythme is just fucked, I'm awake at 4am for the 2nd night in a row ordering a large panzerrotti, 20 chicken wings, garlic bread and a poutine eating my way into a 3000+ calorie food coma.

Usually the problem is just falling asleep, I stay asleep for the most part fine.

I've tried some sleep teas and other settle ways of trying to get my normal hours (or just controlled hours) so I was wondering if anyone knew of any more effective sleep aids. Something available in Canada, preferably... for less then 50$ per week?
    I've had good luck with melatonin. Like any other sleep-aid, it's something that you probably don't want to take every night, even though it's supposed to be all natural and non-addictive. However, take one about an hour before you want to go to bed.

Additionally, as a lifestyle change, if I want to aim to go to sleep at, say 11 pm, I'll start reading a fiction book around 10. Not only is it a good way to make sure I read every day, it also makes me sleepy. Along with this, cutting off electronics (tv, video games, screens, monitors, etc) an hour before you want to go to bed is supposed to help as well.

Edit: Also, at least for me, I can only work out in the mornings. If I work out in the evenings (post 6-7pm), my energy level is too high and I have a tough time sleeping. Similarly, for caffeine, I cannot have caffeine after about 1 or 2 pm or I have trouble sleeping. Just some addition things to consider
    Last edited by Rylon; 2015-01-03 at 12:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly? Buy some bud and hit a bowl a few times before bed. For me personally melatonin makes me hallucinate so do a lot of other sleep aids. I have had trouble sleeping all my life, while in prison I would go almost a week without sleep at times. Pot is the only thing I have personally been able to find useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rylon View Post
    I've had good luck with melatonin. Like any other sleep-aid, it's something that you probably don't want to take every night, even though it's supposed to be all natural and non-addictive. However, take one about an hour before you want to go to bed.

Additionally, as a lifestyle change, if I want to aim to go to sleep at, say 11 pm, I'll start reading a fiction book around 10. Not only is it a good way to make sure I read every day, it also makes me sleepy. Along with this, cutting off electronics (tv, video games, screens, monitors, etc) an hour before you want to go to bed is supposed to help as well.

Edit: Also, at least for me, I can only work out in the mornings. If I work out in the evenings (post 6-7pm), my energy level is too high and I have a tough time sleeping. Similarly, for caffeine, I cannot have caffeine after about 1 or 2 pm or I have trouble sleeping. Just some addition things to consider
    I read obsessively, I'll start a book and be 600 pages in and realize its 5am >.> I hear what your saying about working out in the AM, and that's where I think I need to get, problem is if Im not falling asleep until 1 if im lucky already, up for 7, I can't really shave the hours and expect to be productive the next day.

The teas I drank were melatonine teas, but I have no idea of the concentration.

Honestly? Buy some bud and hit a bowl a few times before bed. For me personally melatonin makes me hallucinate so do a lot of other sleep aids. I have had trouble sleeping all my life, while in prison I would go almost a week without sleep at times. Pot is the only thing I have personally been able to find useful.
    Doesn't help me sleep, and if I do I don't dream when I smoke pot, which I miss. Alcohol too, just keeps me up.

I have this every now and then.. like mentioned above, workout in the morning, cut out all caffeine sources very early..
    sleep 6-7 hours precisely, set alarms, dont over sleep so you don't feel less need to sleep later on..
    a chill temperature is better than a warm one

imagine a chilling scenery, for me its usually laying on a red-golden sunshine beach with my girl sucking me off
    Stop thinking about the problems of the universe, you won't solve them
    don't move your limbs or hands, assume a comfy position and stay the same, dont move anything, resist, the moves you make like changing your hand position and such are your brain checking if you are still here or not
    easy something with carbohydrates before bed, dates, a banana or such

And am sorry but food comas thing is pathetic, it means you have an eating disorder, you cut out too much of your body needs it plays you psychologically to get what it needs and more. Eat a diet rich in everything, but in moderation, i have 4 packs year round, am about 80kg with low bodyfat, and i eat chocolate almost everyday, or chips, as long as its in my macros, i alternate between a pasta, a bowl of rice, a candy that i want, don't take away something you want from yourself, if u keep this up, soon enough this wouldnt happen, i could have the tastiest foods infront of me and i wouldnt want to eat at all and am ex mega fatty too.
    To start over give yourself 2-3 days of total freedom, eat anything you desire, fill yourself up with food till you hate it.. the following days your blood sugar might be a bit crazy but your desires for food will be under control, alot of water, fruits, veggies and proteins and you wont be that upset. go strong this way for 2-3 weeks and gradually introduce more carbohydrates as you go, more starchy and complex carbs early in the day, simple ones after workouts and late at night..
    If you feel like it, my personal approach for year round goals is IF, i.e you fast 16 hours and eat your calories within 8 hours where you usually have your workout sometime in those 8 hours.. in the 16 hours you should sleep/do some walking and light cardio and consume zero calories and in the 8 hours, rest, workout and eat..

this is not the information you requested but i used to be somehow in your spot so am just helping a bro out, hope you dont take it the wrong way

Melatonin release is related to insulin thats why its easier to sleep after having a good carbohydrate meal in the evening

i get periods were i have massive insomnia so these are the things i do..

And am sorry but food comas thing is pathetic, it means you have an eating disorder, you cut out too much of your body needs it plays you psychologically to get what it needs and more. Eat a diet rich in everything, but in moderation, i have 4 packs year round, am about 80kg with low bodyfat, and i eat chocolate almost everyday, or chips, as long as its in my macros, i alternate between a pasta, a bowl of rice, a candy that i want, don't take away something you want from yourself, if u keep this up, soon enough this wouldnt happen, i could have the tastiest foods infront of me and i wouldnt want to eat at all and am ex mega fatty too.
    To start over give yourself 2-3 days of total freedom, eat anything you desire, fill yourself up with food till you hate it.. the following days your blood sugar might be a bit crazy but your desires for food will be under control, alot of water, fruits, veggies and proteins and you wont be that upset. go strong this way for 2-3 weeks and gradually introduce more carbohydrates as you go, more starchy and complex carbs early in the day, simple ones after workouts and late at night..
    If you feel like it, my personal approach for year round goals is IF, i.e you fast 16 hours and eat your calories within 8 hours where you usually have your workout sometime in those 8 hours.. in the 16 hours you should sleep/do some walking and light cardio and consume zero calories and in the 8 hours, rest, workout and eat..

this is not the information you requested but i used to be somehow in your spot so am just helping a bro out, hope you dont take it the wrong way

Melatonin release is related to insulin thats why its easier to sleep after having a good carbohydrate meal in the evening

i get periods were i have massive insomnia so these are the things i do..
    The food is about being awake for 48-70 straight hours. Nothing to do with the diet. I don't know how long your insomnia goes on, when I get into hour 50+ I get a pretty massive craving for calories because my body is completely out of energy, and at 5am theres not much open haha. Would have to literally eat a mountain of shit from my local supply to match it. If I don't consume a lot at that late, I will basically turn into a zombie. Basically just calories to replace the sleep to get me through the work day. Make it through that day, finally crash and get 15 hours sleep, start the process over. The massive meal doesn't even stop the wait loss since I'm talking maybe 1 time every 2-3 weeks that happens, the insomnia destroys my life is the problem. Cutting out the massive meal doesn't break the cycle, it just makes me useless for that last 10-15 hours, hence the looking for something that will.

I've dealt with insomnia from about age 13 more on then off, without sleep aids ever, but I'm finding I can't just power through any more now that I am almost 30.

10+ Year Old Account
    Melatonin gives me terrible, vivid nightmares lol :P good luck if you try it.
    You're a towel.

Deleted
    Looks like you need a better workout plan. If it takes you 4-6 weeks to start losing some pounds at 265 you are doing something horribly wrong and it is not using up enough energy to make you tired.

Don´t drink fluids after 6pm

Don´t be playing computer etc just before bed. Take ½-1 hour to get yourself relaxed and your mind cleared before bed.

Try forcing your body into a habit. Be in bed say 11pm to 6am, no matter if you are tired or not, sleep or not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post

Try forcing your body into a habit. Be in bed say 11pm to 6am, no matter if you are tired or not, sleep or not.
    This actually worked for me. It's like the most simple thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tj119 View Post
    I second this, although personally I have no problems with melatonin whatsoever. I use it maybe every other day and it works fine for me.

Try NeuroSleep, too. It is hands-down the best sleep aid I have ever used and I always wake up feeling super refreshed. Like all sleep aids, don't use it unless you can dedicate a full night's rest (i.e. if you know you have to get up in 6 hours for work, you probably shouldn't take it).

Deleted
    I used to struggle massively with sleep until i started taking ZMA, you can get it dirt cheap and it's just minerals that your body is most likely lacking

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-...upplement.html

I don't think you should get advice on this topic on an internet forum, why not talk to your doctor or consider visiting a psychologist. Very often sleeping disorder is a mental problem, not a physical.
    Taking pills should be the last resort, and only after your doctors tell you to.
    Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech you like; it protects speech you don't like.
    Larry Flynt (unsourced)