Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

'Masterlooter gives more gear'

It seems that 90% of the pugs these days believes masterlooter gives more gear then personal loot. Even a plate leader with 5 other plates in a 12 person raid insists on using masterlooter because he knows that it will be a lot better then personal loot.

When has this myth entered the community and why are people so confused? Masterlooter and personal loot are exactly equal at 20% chance per player right?

It doesn't. I never heard of it before. No clue what you're talking about.

Only thing that affects number of drops is number of players (eligible for loot) in the raid, if a flexible difficulty.

Because that plate leader knows if what he really wants drops he can just ninja it on ML
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    It doesn't. I never heard of it before. No clue what you're talking about.

Only thing that affects number of drops is number of players (eligible for loot) in the raid, if a flexible difficulty.
    90% of the pugs seem to insist on using masterlooter because it gives more gear.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    ML Gives guaranteed items, where as personal can yield 0 items.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Because that plate leader knows if what he really wants drops he can just ninja it on ML
    He cant, if he stated the rules in raid chat you can make a ticket and get the item removed/transferred.

Quote Originally Posted by willemh View Post
    He cant, if he stated the rules in raid chat you can make a ticket and get the item removed/transferred.
    I don't pug much but I haven't seen a single run actually state loot rules - or anyone ask. Only reason I didn't ask is because I knew the guy - all but 1 other were from groupfinder and had no issues with ML.

Have seen groups going everywhere with no real stated loot rules. Its a rule that works in theory but generally people don't apply it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Master loot is better because of the way the gear is distributed. Personal loot might result in people getting gear they don't need or already have due to RNG. Master looter avoids all of that and lets everyone that needs the gear to be able to roll for it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokkie View Post
    ML Gives guaranteed items, where as personal can yield 0 items.
    This is definitely what mean when they say "ML gives more loot". Master loot is guaranteed 1 item per 5 people in the run. Personal loot can indeed give zero items for a boss.

It does not yield more loot, it yields the same on a big sample. It however does not yield loot you already got, so in a way ml gives more usefull loot on a grand scale.

Quote Originally Posted by madindehead View Post
    This is definitely what mean when they say "ML gives more loot". Master loot is guaranteed 1 item per 5 people in the run. Personal loot can indeed give zero items for a boss.
    If a boss would give 3 items with master loot, then with personal loot enabled, 3 people would be able to loot the boss for 1 item each.
    You can try to fit me in a box, only to see me burst out of it.

It's unfortunate, but you're right OP, pugs are unfortunately adverse with personal loot in raids just like they were in dungeons. It's really my preferred format for pugging due to the lack of ninjaing, and mathematically should work out just as well when everybody in the raid who can is rolling on that 670 piece of loot [usually the case in pugs atm]. Personal was designed for pugging but it hasn't been totally embraced yet. People are set in their ways with ML, or it's also because pug organizers want to keep it on ML for a loot advantage [inviting less on their weapon/trinket, or having friends roll for them].

There is theoretically a 20% chance per player for a piece of loot to drop. On Master Looter, that means your group is guaranteed an item per every 5 players in the raid. Personal Loot means that it's entirely possible NO loot will drop for anyone; in my subjective experience on 1 or 2 players seem to get anything on Personal in raids. I always do Personal for PUGs but Master for any guild runs so we make sure our raid people get geared. It's a good idea to do ML during trash though, so that you can give the BOE capes to players that need them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wrynil View Post
    It does not yield more loot, it yields the same on a big sample. It however does not yield loot you already got, so in a way ml gives more usefull loot on a grand scale.
    ML can however yield loot no-one can use, so there's that. Of course, that would only be the case if one armour class isn't present, or when there's no rogues or hunters for example.
    Last edited by Iphie; 2015-01-02 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    ML can however yield loot no-one can use, so there's that.
    Yep. Can be countered in guilds by bringing different folks for different bosses but i gues that would be stupid in pugs :P

Masterloot screams "I'm gonna ninja something if I really like it" so I avoid those groups all together. Personal loot's chance is on a per player basis so actually theoreticly your more likely to have more people get loot and be it loot they can probably use over Masterloot. The only reason people like Masterloot in raids is so they can exert control over the group IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its a combination of things.

1) Outside of bonus rolls, you don't see what other people get for Personal Loot. A lot of people early on had the misconception that no loot was dropping, since it didn't show in the loot window. This has continued on. This was also the reason that blizzard changed dungeons back to Group Loot for a period of like... 10 hours. A very vocal minority complained, and Blizzard took it as gospel. Upon making that change, the other 99% of the world went "Uh wtf?" and Blizzard went "Oh we didn't realize there were more than 10 people playing our game. You guys don't talk enough." And changed it back to Personal.

2) Master Loot provides more control over loot. Control can, in some cases, provide more loot to someone. Example: Mythic Raid is carrying a newbie through Highmaul Normal. Everyone is 670+ but the newbie. Personal loot, he'll get 2-4 items. Master Loot, he gets EVERYTHING per the raid leader. Depending on what drops, he oculd easily get out of there with 6-10 items.

3) Personal loot is a 'chance' for everyone. Averaging, its the same. But people interpret 'chance to get no loot' as 'gets no loot'. Yeah, there's a guy somewhere who has run LFR 5 times now, and gotten 0 items. Its unlikely, but still possible. He complains on the forums, and everyone who ever got little loot jumps on the derpwagon and shouts the same. You never hear someone posting about how great loot is, because if loot is great, you're simply content and play the game. (This is the same phenomena with online purchase reviews. Sometimes things have lots of bad reviews simply because its a popular item. Negative comments are more likely than positive ones. If something works correctly, they usually rarely comment.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Using personal loot usually ends up with ppl getting same items that they already had therefore "wasting" a lootspot.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    If a boss would give 3 items with master loot, then with personal loot enabled, 3 people would be able to loot the boss for 1 item each.
    Wrong, it works out to an average. You can indeed see more or less loot on personal loot rather than master loot, on fight per fight basis. Its built to average out to be the same loot over time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by madindehead View Post
    That is true, but personal loot can also give 1 item to each raidmember on every boss.