10+ Year Old Account

Question Electrical wiring help please

Hey gen ot, I have an electrical question today

I purchased a usb charge online that I would like to install on my motorcycle. I enjoy DIY projects so I'd like to do this myself, with your assistance if possible.

My dilemma is, I have the tools necessary to install the charger, but I do not know which wire I want to tap into to draw the power. At first I believed it to be as easy as tapping it straight to be battery (+)/(-) terminals, however I DO NOT want it to be drawing power from my bike when it is not in use. I was given the advice from a friend to tap into the ignition wires, as they are easily reachable on my bike and would do the trick to power the charger while the bike is on.

To assist, I found this wiring diagram of a newer model of my 2006 ninja 650r (er-6f)

Any input would be appreciated thanks!
    "The Maw's thirst is unquenchable. If it is not fed fresh victims, it will not hesitate to drink from its wielder instead."

Last edited by Kulanae; 2015-01-03 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinho View Post
    Hey gen ot, I have an electrical question today

I purchased a usb charge online that I would like to install on my motorcycle. I enjoy DIY projects so I'd like to do this myself, with your assistance if possible.

My dilemma is, I have the tools necessary to install the charger, but I do not know which wire I want to tap into to draw the power. At first I believed it to be as easy as tapping it straight to be battery (+)/(-) terminals, however I DO NOT want it to be drawing power from my bike when it is not in use. I was given the advice from a friend to tap into the ignition wires, as they are easily reachable on my bike and would do the trick to power the charger while the bike is on.

To assist, I found this wiring diagram of a newer model of my 2006 ninja 650r (er-6f)

Any input would be appreciated thanks!
    Don't use the battery. When I installed radios in cars we tapped the ignition that way it turned on when the car turned on and vice versa.

Won't the massive amperage on the battery just destroy the charger?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Won't the massive amperage on the battery just destroy the charger?
    http://www.r1200gs.info/howto/relay.html
    Saw this, wondering if it's worthwhile
    "The Maw's thirst is unquenchable. If it is not fed fresh victims, it will not hesitate to drink from its wielder instead."

Quote Originally Posted by Vinho View Post
    http://www.r1200gs.info/howto/relay.html
    Saw this, wondering if it's worthwhile
    Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for.
    http://imgur.com/a/MqMdv

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for.
    http://imgur.com/a/MqMdv
    I'm not sure my bike has the same battery tender lead for that charger to connect to, but my charger will be mounted up near my handlebars, where the GPS will sit. This video here was where I got the idea from, and sort of what I want to follow (bought a similar charger), except NOT connect into my tail light accessory as he does (much later in the video)
    Last edited by Vinho; 2015-01-03 at 05:53 AM.