Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    yes, but just because more movies are released doesn't mean more GOOD movies are being released. Quantity doesn't equal quality.

And seeing how this thread is titled "YOUR top ten films of 2015", that doesn't mean just because some people rav about a movie being great that it is that way to you. I wanted to see an original horror movie, something unique from the numbers of bad recent horrors that came out. I heard "It Follows" was a good one, and in not finding a cheap copy of it, i paid full price, expecting all the top store reviews of it would give me something. The movie was derivative, boring, terribly acted, and it didn't go anywhere.
    Such a variety of movies are released today that unless you have crazy specific tastes in film, there should definitely be a good handful of movies you'll like. Back in 2013, I discovered that year's version of this thread, created by Markluzz (who now is either dead or just one day decided to stop using MMO-Champion and his movie review blog). At the time, I watched a fair number of movies, but most of them were the big blockbusters. Markluzz had quite a few movies rated very highly that I had never even heard of, and it inspired me to watch those films, and start broadening my horizon, and I realized there were a ton of movies that went totally under my radar. I still don't watch anything near every movie that comes out, but because I follow podcasts and movie news and such, I'm at least aware of most of them. Point is, those good movies are being released somewhere, it's just about finding them, and not just look for blockbusters and genre movies.

Having recently rewatched Furious 7, and rewatching Avengers 2 tonight, I decided I'm swapping their places. Both are big budget popcorn movies, both are entertaining, but the greater amount of practical effects in Furious 7, as well as the lack of the really, completely out of left field, really forced feeling romance plot that AoU brought in edges it to the top for me.

I read The Martian a while back, so I'm hesitant as always to see the movie afterwards. Any recommendations if I've already read the book? yay/nay?
    LFGdating
    Currently playing: WoW, D3, SC2, and wait for it ... Red Alert 3. (And possibly some Goldeneye here or there.)

Considering how great the movie is, I would watch it regardless. I will probably read the book at some point as well.

Added The Martian. Straight Outta Compton has moved out of the top ten list.

Also, I need to invent a new number between 8 and 9 (for rating purposes).

EDIT: Screw it, 8.5 is now a thing.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2015-10-08 at 09:15 PM.

Deleted
    Updated the list. Added the martian and inside out.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Added The Martian. Straight Outta Compton has moved out of the top ten list.

Also, I need to invent a new number between 8 and 9 (for rating purposes).

EDIT: Screw it, 8.5 is now a thing.
    Hey, now, consistency is important. I have found myself in that dilemma quite often—using integers from 1 to 10 certainly feels insufficient sometimes—, but I chose to stick with my current system. If you change your entire system in the midst of everything, you kind of ruin it since none of your previous films' ratings are reflected in your new system. That's why I always wound back in my old tracks. I have however decided that when I get better and more experienced at rating films, I will adopt a new system with one decimal in addition to the current ratings, effectively extending my rating range from 1–10 to 1–100.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctagon View Post
    Hey, now, consistency is important. I have found myself in that dilemma quite often—using integers from 1 to 10 certainly feels insufficient sometimes—, but I chose to stick with my current system. If you change your entire system in the midst of everything, you kind of ruin it since none of your previous films' ratings are reflected in your new system. That's why I always wound back in my old tracks. I have however decided that when I get better and more experienced at rating films, I will adopt a new system with one decimal in addition to the current ratings, effectively extending my rating range from 1–10 to 1–100.
    I use IMDb to track my ratings and rankings and such, which is one of the main reasons I don't use decimals usually (that plus who can really tell the difference between, say, 7.6 and 7.7?). I'm going to go watch The Martian again tonight, so I might put it on straight 9 after that. I have thought about using grades as well as numbers, since there are three more grades than numbers, so I could differentiate a bit between the three number-ratings I give the most (6, 7 and 8). So, for example, 8/10 would be B+ and 8.5/10 would be A-.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2015-10-11 at 12:52 PM.

How can you rate something?
    You either like it or not there isn't 1st or last place this isn't a race.

This is a form of art as i said above you either like it or you do not.

10+ Year Old Account
    !!!

Pixar movies:

Toy Story

A Bug's Life

Toy Story 2

Monsters Inc.

Finding Nemo

The Incredibles

Cars

Ratatouille

WALL-E

UP

Toy Story 3

Cars 2

Brave

Monsters University

Inside Out

The Good Dinosaur (coming later this year)

The vaaast majority are great movies, most of them are also merely "kid-friendly" and not "for kids". Everyone should make it a point to watch these movies.
    Big Hero 6 and Wreck-It Ralph on that list too.

Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    Big Hero 6 and Wreck-It Ralph on that list too.
    Nope, that's Disney Animation Studios.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    How can you rate something?

This is a form of art as i said above you either like it or you do not.
    Well that's like, your opinion man.

Movies are experiences, and some experiences are stronger and better than others. I like Inside Out a loooot more than Jurassic World, but I still like that movie. What does your like/dislike system say to that?

I use IMDb to track my ratings and rankings and such, which is one of the main reasons I don't use decimals usually (that plus who can really tell the difference between, say, 7.6 and 7.7?). I'm going to go watch The Martian again tonight, so I might put it on straight 9 after that. I have thought about using grades as well as numbers, since there are three more grades than numbers, so I could differentiate a bit between the three number-ratings I give the most (6, 7 and 8). So, for example, 8/10 would be B+ and 8.5/10 would be A-.
    I'd only use a decimal based system to distinguish between films of the same rating. For example, some films with a rating of 7/10 I like more than other films of the same rating. Right now, there is no way of telling that. Also, some films of, say, 7/10 are closer to an 8/10, so a 7/10 looks quite a bit worse than 7.8/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    Erm, no, actually not. I like Jean-Claude Van Damme's movie Timecop. If you put it on, I will watch it and I will enjoy it. I will not, however, enjoy it as much as I would enjoy it if you put on The Raid. If I ever get hard up for cash and try to pawn off my movie collection, Timecop will be taken to the pawn shop before The Raid is.

So see, yes, actually there IS a lot more to it than "you like it or you don't".

Added Me and Earl and the Dying Girl to the top list. Furious Seven has been pushed out.

Seen quite a few movies since I updated my list, none that I liked enough to enter the top ten though. Unless Spectre, Legend and Suffragette surprise me, then I think Hunger Games will be the next movie to have a legit shot.

Added Avengers: Age of Ultron to the top list. Kingsman: The Secret Service has been pushed out.

- - - Updated - - -

Added Jurassic World to the top list. Cinderella has been pushed out.

1. mad max fury road
    2. ex machina
    3. inside out
    4. kingsman
    5. me and earl and the dying girl
    6. avengers 2
    7. Whiplash

dont think ive seen more worth mentioning, altough i guess jurassic world was enjoyable in a so bad it's good kinda way.

still need to see antman, the martian and a bunch of others.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    3. Terminator: Genisys 8.25/10

wow really?
    Last edited by shaunika123; 2015-11-01 at 07:20 PM.

Deleted
    Spectre and Southpaw added. Some changes on the rankings.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Added Terminator: Genisys - 5/10.

I have a full list now and still have about 10 films from this year that I want to watch.

Added Dope to the top list. Jurassic World has been pushed out.