Page 1 of 81
... LastLast

Can we have a chat about tipping?

Recently I got a job as a delivery driver. Where I work, there is no "suggest tip" line that I've seen at many places on receipts these days. My tips range from $0-$10 and I'm curious about what sort of things a person should take into consideration when tipping a delivery driver.

For me, I was pretty standard to tip $3-$5 depending on the amount of food I ordered, the majority of the time I tip closer to $5 and that's usually for an order $15-$20. I actually looked myself up in the computer the other day and I had a note on my account, "Great Customer."

I didn't think my tipping was anything spectacular either.

Now that I'm working a delivery job I get to see first hand how others tip.

I've had occasional good to great tippers. I had someone tonight tip me $8 on a $20 order. I notice a lot of people tend to tip in the $3-$5 range.

One thing I cannot fathom is what goes through the mind of people who don't tip or who tip $1 or less for a delivery driver. Like, it actually irks me that there are a large number of assholes out there that think tipping someone <$1 for delivery is an okay thing. Where I live, winters can get pretty brutal and a driver is out there using his gas and time to bring you food and you're essentially telling him to fuck off. I'm pretty certain there is a special circle of hell for these people and if their isn't then there is no way god actually exists.

I should get one thing out of the way here that maybe many don't know. Many places that have a "delivery charge" that they add to the receipt don't give that full charge to the driver. I was told that because in some places (like mine) delivery drivers have a higher minimum wage than in-store servers and that's why there is a delivery charge. Where I work, I actually only get 1/3rd of each delivery charge and the rest goes to my employer.

Whether that's the truth, I don't know.

So, I ask, what do you all think is a fair tip for a delivery driver in the following price ranges....

$10-$20 order
    $25-$40 order
    $45+ order

Also, do you consider distance? Will you give a higher tip if the driver has to go 10 miles to deliver to you rather than down the street? I actually got stiffed on a tip tonight on an order that was at the edge of our delivery range and it was nearly a 30 minute round trip!
    Last edited by fwc577; 2015-01-03 at 10:57 AM.

Deleted
    not this bullshit again

far too many variables really, as a brit it's hard to calculate since tipping is so different in our cultures. personally I think wages should always be paid at an amount where tipping is unnecersary (and fees charged accordingly also) and so should only be given when the person being tipped goes above and beyond (on time in bad weather conditions, helping carry heavy things the recipient is struggling with, etc) rather than it being mandatory. unfortunately just because things should be one way doesn't mean that they are and from what I gather about the US there's far too many jobs where the pay is impossible to live off of without having to rely on tips. whenever I'm in a different country I find it easier to just ask friends what the appropriate tipping amount is there

20% of the order total, bit more if the weather is rough.

I only tip a 1-2 at most. but we really only order from pizza hut who charged 2.50 already for delivery. Which is what SHOULD go to you full for gas/etc.
    If it doesnt DO NOT CALL ME A LOSER for not tipping you. that's your f*cking problem :P
    And i never tip until i inspect my order. if its somehow wrong i dont tip and tell them why, so they can fix it...

Haha if I tried to tip a delivery driver they would look at me as I'm trying to bribe them or something. I think a delivery driver has a monthly wage of about $2500 in sweden. On the other hand, I've never ordered pizza delivery, it would be way too expensive compared to driving there yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    not this bullshit again
    Can we just link the video of the tipping scene from Reservoir Dogs and call it a day? You're either a normal person or you're a Mr. Pink and everyone hates Mr. Pink because he's a selfish, narcissistic prick.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

It has been years since I ordered delivery food, I dont have it like that. I'll normally just drive and get it myself.
    If the place charges a delivery charge there is no tip, already paying extra for the delivery
    If delivery is quick and order is correct I would tip around the following

$10-$20 order $1 about to round to next dollar
    $25-$40 order $2-3
    $45+ order $4-5

Do you pay anyone else extra because the weather is tough? Like repairmen?

No, you're paid by your employer to drive. I don't think that means you're going out of your way to provide service or something.

I normally tip, but the false entitlement displayed here irks me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't tip.

10+ Year Old Account
    10-15% depending on the service I get, and since it's just a delivery, I may just flat out not tip.

That said; Servers get a decent wage (Read; Something they can live on) in my country.

Quote Originally Posted by Mavett View Post
    20% of the order total, bit more if the weather is rough.
    this seems about right

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrax View Post
    Haha if I tried to tip a delivery driver they would look at me as I'm trying to bribe them or something. I think a delivery driver has a monthly wage of about $2500 in sweden. On the other hand, I've never ordered pizza delivery, it would be way too expensive compared to driving there yourself.
    That's a pretty decent wage and I believe I will be somewhat near that. I've worked 4 days and I will be at close to $500 for the week with my hourly wage, though, it has been VERY slow some of these days. I'm guessing it's a combination of new years resolutions and the fact another place with similar food offerings opened nearby and everyone is trying it out. Tonight I only ended up doing about 1.5 deliveries per hour because it was so slow where as Thursday I was doing about 3 / hour.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post

No, you're paid by your employer to drive. I don't think that means you're going out of your way to provide service or something.

I normally tip, but the false entitlement displayed here irks me.
    It depends, do the repair man charge me $100+/hour?

Also, I'm not providing a service? You mean the hot food that I just took from the oven and drove to your front door ISN'T a service? There is no entitlement here, bud. My employer doesn't even pay minimum wage (because by law, they don't have to) AND I have to pay for my own gas.

Repair men often have company vehicles which their employer services and reimburses for gas.
    Last edited by fwc577; 2015-01-03 at 11:22 AM.

I tip nothing. We don't tip in Australia and the employee gets all the money from their employer.
    Raaaa!

Deleted
    we have this thread every so often, and its always the same!

if you're American, you tip, if not, you don't need to tip.

Deleted
    When I order something online and expecting delivery for example if I order Pizza Hut there is usually no delivery charge, why? because I assume as it's local it doesn't take much to hop on a scooter and delivery it to me 5 minutes down the road. Why is it my responsibility to give the driver a little "well done" for managing to deliver my food without dying on the way. Personally I think it's down to the company to provide a wage the employees are able to live on.

TL;DR not my responsibility, employers should cover your wage

edit: spelling

I tip 10-15%. The weather, how far you had to drive, how many times you filled your gas tank or how much time your dying car cost you or any number of other circumstances out of my control play no roll in how much I tip. I have to put up with the hot or cold weather at my work as well. I do not get paid more for days with extra bad weather. Your company advertised delivery. It's not my problem, or my job to figure out, if delivering to me is worthwhile for you.

$10-$20 order: 0
    $25-$40 order: 0
    $45+ order: 0

Tipping should be for exceptional service and not mandatory. Problems with your employer are just that - your problems, not mine. Find another job if these conditions don't satisfy you.

Deleted
    I would suggest nothing to be honest, i am already paying your company for you to deliver the product its not as though I am getting anything extra that I havent already paid for.

I do think it is an americanism where additional tipping seems to be mandatory, im surprised people arent trying to get tips for holding a door open for someone going the opposite way...

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    As a repairdude working in bad weather comes as part of the job so you deal with it. I get tips on occasion but its more random and unexpected.
    Working in peoples crowded filthy conditions is the annoying part, I normally charge extra for that.