Poll: Models - worth it or not?

Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Deleted

So New Character models - Was it worth it?

One of the biggest "new features" in WoD was the new character models.

Now we have seen them - briefly before they were covered in new gear and transmogged away.

Was it worth it, for the devs spending all this time making new models, we hardly ever see?

NB: Yes i am biased in my text, as i think this was a complete and utter waste of time and they could have focused on so much else than this, but i tried to make the poll unbiased.

Deleted
    I don't think they could have spent time in so much more things since blizzard has different teams focussing on different parts of the game, so if they didn't focus on making new character models, it would have probably been on an entire new race. But since for example the pandaren look so much better(quality wise, im not saying I love the pandaren race) they decided to update the older models so every race is at the same level of quality.

Deleted
    ultimately yes, they are far from finished though

I think it was a good idea to do to try and bring in newer players who already may have been iffy on WoW's graphics to begin with. Personally I didn't care either way, and I think most new models look great, so really it was just a plus. I really don't think the guys who design and make character models would have been sent to work on creating more dungeons or raids or other content instead if not for the new models, it's probably not what they do (I'm just taking a guess).

I stopped noticing my updated character after 10 minutes of playing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, definitely worth it. Last I checked, Blizzard has different teams to work on different aspects of the game. If it wasn't the character models, it would be some other race or more mobs. And I'm definitely digging a lot of the new art of the mobs out in the world.

So yes, the character models were definitely worth it. They had to be updated at some point, the game is pretty old by MMO standards. Are they finished? Certainly not. A lot more to be done in terms of customization and little fixes.

I don't think they got the faces right when redoing the models. To me, it seems like my character is a different person when the new models are enabled. They said they were going to enhance the spirit of the original models, but the faces for the human characters clearly don't match when you do an old vs new comparison. Draenei are kind of nondescript, but those seem to be off as well. I spend most of my time with the new models disabled because it doesn't feel like my character is my character.

That said, I have created a completely new mage using the new models and I don't have any trouble playing with them enabled. It's actually a bit of fresh air to see the new animations and character given by the model updates.
    Last edited by Alaira; 2015-01-03 at 05:03 PM.

I like them and notice it a lot. The only thing that bugs me is that night elf males look rather goofy running now.
    Is that your blood?
    Some of it, yeah.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it was a necessary evil, an allocation of resources that had to be done to preserve the visual cohesiveness of the game. The hideously outdated models were becoming a serious bar to entry for new and returning players, even though they had a somewhat "timeless" vibe. While there has been some uproar due to the (slight) tweaks that were made in the transition, most of the reception has been neutral to positive. While the OP posits that because the models are often not visibly different (due to armor and camera distance), there are times when the higher fidelity is important - in cinematics, for example. I'd argue that because the models were updated across the board, there is more value than you might think - Orcs and Tauren in The Barrens now have great models, as do Humans in Redridge Mountains. The higher quality animations and textures help keep the game's visuals relevant in a constantly evolving gaming landscape.

i cant even bear to look at the old models anymore. Especially the body animations.

and no. you wont "consciously" notice after 10 mins of playing, but its still there in the back of your head with all the other automated processes.
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2015-01-03 at 05:26 PM.

The new models, absolutely.

Some of the new running animations? Oh god no. NO.

My character is constantly covered in gear, it was a waste to remake them all from scratch IMO. They could've added a whole factions worth of new races with that model development time.

Deleted
    while i enjoy having new models, i dont feel they were worth it really, the only time i notice that improvement is on the character screen

It will be a nice update once they finish them. Until its just raping our eyes

10+ Year Old Account
    Where is the "They still haven't fixed X for my race" option? Cause Draenei eyes are still fucked up, and I know other races also have some issues that need to be addressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

I do love the new models. They look much cleaner and match a lot of the new texture (especially resolution)/art assets WOW has introduced over the more recent content patches. I'm sad about a couple of minor things though, but they don't affect my gameplay. Female Draenei used to have the Blood Elf ponytail, for instance. Now they have a new unique one that I don't like. Doesn't take away from the excellent job Blizzard did with them. I'm looking forward to seeing the new Blood Elves, and I'm not even Horde.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

its added alot to my immersion in the game. plus people forget that the character model updates was less about YOU and more about NEW players.

do you know how many new people and kids who are used to modern graphics hear about wow go to try it and are like "why would i play this this looks like shit"

with a new expansion, a movie, and a new surge of potiental players thanks to hearthstone and other new blizzard games like heroes of the storm and overwatch.

it was the perfect time to do this.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Tried 10 day trial on my Blood elf warrior.

Was amused how this over advertised cool feature looked like!
    I couldn't even spot a difference between old and new model!
    They where done so well.

Then i tried Tauren. Not sure why, but i have this feeling that no one at Blizzard ever tried running or attempted to run or even saw anyone run, because male Tauren runs like a teenage girl.

Other two days i re rolled as a Worgen.

Deleted
    Still waiting on my updated Blood Elf. =(

also with the free 90 boost from buying the expansion it helps even more allowing a new player to skip straight to the modern content and not having to look at all the ugly vanilla enemies
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552