Shuriken Toss: is it really that bad?

I've been leveling with it for a bit and I really haven't noticed the DPS be that bad. Tooltip has 4477 damage per 40 energy, 111 damage per energy, while Sinister strike comes out to be 101.67 damage per energy(at my level). Sinister strike gives a combo points every 37.5 energy(with revealing strike up) while Shruiken Toss is 1 cp per 40 energy. So you lose ~11.8 energy per finisher for 10% more sinister strike damage.

Simply for a BG / soloing talent it's pretty amazing for avoiding getting kited & improving our survivability soloing by letting us kite, it does a lot to handle mages, hunters, DKs and Warriors.

Is Shuriken Toss really that bad?

7+ Year Old Account
    In all honesty, I wish deadly throw/shuriken toss was a totally viably combo for PvE. I find it pretty fun, personally. But having to be up close to do other things like apply bleeds and auto-attack procs, ect, defeats the purpose of it.
    The true demon lord.

I've always liked ST for the range attack it gives, particularly while soloing. It might always be technically below the other offensive talents, but I have never thought about it being a "bad" choice

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimiko View Post
    I've been leveling with it for a bit and I really haven't noticed the DPS be that bad. Tooltip has 4477 damage per 40 energy, 111 damage per energy, while Sinister strike comes out to be 101.67 damage per energy(at my level). Sinister strike gives a combo points every 37.5 energy(with revealing strike up) while Shruiken Toss is 1 cp per 40 energy. So you lose ~11.8 energy per finisher for 10% more sinister strike damage.

Simply for a BG / soloing talent it's pretty amazing for avoiding getting kited & improving our survivability soloing by letting us kite, it does a lot to handle mages, hunters, DKs and Warriors.

Is Shuriken Toss really that bad?
    In extremely high movement scenarios when you'll be attacking many different targets who are far apart from each other (soloing/questing), it can make sense. The reason it is normally shunned is because it is a single target DPS loss when compared to the other talents in the tier. It may be more powerful than sinister strike in some scenarios, but you need to consider the additional benefits that sinister strike provides (bandit's guilde, etc.) and what you lose by not taking other talents (called the opportunity cost)

I love it for Ashran PvP, then I don't have to run into the crowd and die! It also allows me to tag the boss without dying.

Quote Originally Posted by geekyguy83 View Post
    In extremely high movement scenarios when you'll be attacking many different targets who are far apart from each other (soloing/questing), it can make sense. The reason it is normally shunned is because it is a single target DPS loss when compared to the other talents in the tier. It may be more powerful than sinister strike in some scenarios, but you need to consider the additional benefits that sinister strike provides (bandit's guilde, etc.) and what you lose by not taking other talents (called the opportunity cost)
    Ahh, I wasn't aware that Bandit's Guile was based off of Sinister strike. I thought it was based off of combo point usage.

Marked for Death isn't a significant dps gain, and anticipation is a relatively minor DPS gain.

The lack of Bandit's Guile, more specifically the Deep Insight bonus of a flat 50% extra damage, extremely hampers your DPS if you go Ninja style.
    This then gets paired with the inferior finisher and the problem that KS is also only melee-range.
    Last but not least, it's also really annoying that the Shuriken Toss buff on yourself disappears when you attack something in melee range and needs to be reapplied before your autoattacks can once again hit at range.

ST has situations where it's fairly decent, but what you have to remember is that any situation that would make ST a DPS increase would be one where no other melee class would be taken to the raid, since these scenarios would make melees completely inferior to ranged... by a lot.
    And since Blizz currently avoids including any such fights, you're better off sticking with the other talents, especially since we're fairly good at sticking with our targets, thus don't need to rely on ranged attacks.

I love it. I don't care if i'm not 100% dps optimized. I just really like the range capability in certain situations. My opinion may also be skewed by my soloing the legendary dagger questline, as it's the only thing I found to clear Ultraxion trash.
    Quote Originally Posted by videotape View Post
    To vehemently defend the claim like OP would is to present to these very forums a ludicrous display of ignorance and unawareness so profound and comical that it might actually deserve its own time slot on The History Channel.

Deleted
    The usefulness Shuriken Toss is situational, but it is a very nice tool to have available.
    As an ability it is fine, the current problem is that it is essentially a utility talent that's on a dps tier and picking it is a dps loss when you're in melee, which is where rogues should be.
    Personally I only spec it when I'm going to do something where I know I will need it(eg Ultraxxion Trash).