Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    I definitely am, and it's why I can recognize how limited your view is and how you've been molded well by the army in your thinking. I suspect you were a sergeant, because if you were a plain soldier you most of the time probably wouldn't be able to write a cohesive sentence to be able to participate on a forum.
    Officers don't write about violent revolution to overthrow a legitimately elected government, and violating the oath to preserve and defend the consititution. I don't believe you would be an officer of a western nations military, because..well for almost the same reasons.

North Korea.....maybe

So...once agian, you're not a officer, before you were just considered a teenage attention seeker, now you're just being pathetic.

Sounds like something Hemingway would've joined back in the 30's.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Shouldn't we kill Americans too, then, for the genocide against the natives? Wouldn't that be a great idea?
    That doesn't even make any sense, especially given the context of the argument.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    More or less although IS is likely way beyond nutjob level. Still I am no huge fan of any faction in the region to be honest and while Jihadi tourism is an obvious cancer I don't feel very positive about war tourism either.
    someone's got to do it.

Reminds me of the Folks that joined the Chinese airforce prior to us geting involved in WW2, or the U.S. citizens who joined the Canadian military during that same time.

What I think makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. The indisputable fact is that fighting in the Middle East has done absolutely nothing.

You seriously think fighting there a bit more will bring a different result? "Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results", and all that.

"But... Then... What are we supposed to do?"

I know. Do the same shit that has been done for decades, which leads to epic failure after epic failure. "IT WILL WORK THIS TIME, I PROMISE!"
    Yes, I think lessening the numbers of people who want to kill you will make a difference. You said this earlier
    One would think the past decades would have been a sufficient lesson on what comes of meddling in the affairs of that particular area. Guess not.
    You would appear to have been saying that fighting Islamic extremism is the cause of Islamic extremism. And now you appear to be backing away from that statement.

Deleted
    A friend of mine with whom I used to serve in the Légion étrangère is planning on joining up with them, even though he always told me his military days were over. This whole ISIS thing really got to him for some reason.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Officers don't write about violent revolution to overthrow a legitimately elected government, and violating the oath to preserve and defend the consititution. I don't believe you would be an officer of a western nations military, because..well for almost the same reasons.
    Yeah yeah.

http://www.teaparty.org/retired-gene...achment-47673/

Standing resolute against the forces transforming the nation he loves, Lt. Gen. (Ret.) William G. “Jerry” Boykin thinks “the two most egregious violations of the trust of the American public” are the Veterans Affairs scandal and Benghazi — and in his opinion, these two cases rise to the level of impeachable offenses.
    No overthrowing a legitimately elected government, except perhaps if the President happens to be black? Something like that?

Officers don't write about violent revolution to overthrow a legitimately elected government, and violating the oath to preserve and defend the consititution.
    To be fair some of my superiors during compulsory military service had quite an opinion on the German State if they'd have enough beers. Obviously they weren't actually high ranked though.
    someone's got to do it.
    I don't think supporting the Kurds does anything.
    Last edited by cFortyfive; 2015-01-04 at 01:35 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I definitely am, and it's why I can recognize how limited your view is and how you've been molded well by the army in your thinking. I suspect you were a sergeant, because if you were a plain soldier you most of the time probably wouldn't be able to write a cohesive sentence to be able to participate on a forum.
    Wow.. lol. You are not, and have never been, a military officer.

Anyways, I think their idea is commendable (fighting for something they believe in and the betterment of strangers) but I don't agree with how they're going about it, so no, I wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Stalin View Post
    A friend of mine with whom I used to serve in the Légion étrangère is planning on joining up with them, even though he always told me his military days were over. This whole ISIS thing really got to him for some reason.
    Personally, parts of me wish I was still in, the ISIL are a enemy that is worth fighting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Wow.. lol. You are not, and have never been, a military officer.

Anyways, I think their idea is commendable (fighting for something they believe in and the betterment of strangers) but I don't agree with how they're going about it, so no, I wouldn't.
    what would be a better way of going about it, if their home countries refuse to get involved?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    You would appear to have been saying that fighting Islamic extremism is the cause of Islamic extremism. And now you appear to be backing away from that statement.
    What I "appear" to you to be saying is irrelevant. What I was saying can be taken literally; fighting in the Middle East, for whatever reason, has done absolutely nothing. At least nothing good. What it may have done, is made things worse. Exponentially worse.

Personally, parts of me wish I was still in, the ISIL are a enemy that is worth fighting.
    You know, you can just buy a ticket and fly there. I'm sure you can get your hands on a knife and an AK, so you can go live out your Rambo fantasies, which I guess you're talking about.

What I "appear" to you to be saying is irrelevant. What I was saying can be taken literally; fighting in the Middle East, for whatever reason, has done absolutely nothing. At least nothing good. What it may have done, is made things worse. Exponentially worse.
    If you can't think of anything good that's come from fighting in the Middle East, then that says more about your values, or perhaps your understanding of the subject, or lack thereof.

- - - Updated - - -

Islamic fascists everywhere are worth fighting.

Deleted
    If you can't think of anything good that's come from fighting in the Middle East, then that says more about your values, or perhaps your understanding of the subject, or lack thereof.
    Yeah, it definitely should tell you that I understand the subject, and well. I'm glad we agree.

The level of intelligence of the "dialogue" in this thread is something like this:

Why that senile old fart is still in a position of power is beyond me. Someone should lock him up in a home somewhere.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2015-01-04 at 01:41 AM.

Yeah, it definitely should tell you that I understand the subject, and well. I'm glad we agree.
    Maybe I wasn't blunt enough. If you can't think of anything good that's come from fighting in the Middle East, then your values or your understanding is severely lacking.

15+ Year Old Account
    what would be a better way of going about it, if their home countries refuse to get involved?
    I honestly have no idea how to defeat ISIS, I just don't think this sort of volunteer group will attract enough and the right kind of people to do it. Not to mention they'll be answering to no-one and making their own orders, which sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Makes me think of Blackwater, just with less resources, less leadership and poorer infrastructure.

You're just being a crybaby now unwilling to accept reality. I've done everything to become a military officer, from the academic education ranging from radar-technology and balistics, to military ethics and military history, to classes in global politics. From the entire lectures on the composition of the army and recent past and future plans on reform. Even all the shitty ceremonial parades, from cleaning my boots every morning and evening, to learning how to deconstruct, reconstruct and clean my rifle. From greeting the flag every morning to drill sergeants shouting at us and detaining us from being allowed to go home for the weekend until we cleaned the entire building until they could no longer find a spot of dust. From my early years as being assigned as the guy responsible for the room of me and my roommates, until my last year in education where I had to do my practical training into the infantry, leaning the composition of a squad, how to move in formation, 1 or 2 guys with a minimi, and 1 guy carrying the officer's radio communication set around.

So go cry on your pillow on how you can't accept that some of your ex-superiours might have leftist views like I do. Grunt.
    Most of your rambling confirms your lack of military experience.

This is just sad now.

Deleted
    Maybe I wasn't blunt enough. If you can't think of anything good that's come from fighting in the Middle East, then your values or your understanding is severely lacking.
    Or perhaps you're just misguided and misinformed?

I honestly have no idea how to defeat ISIS, I just don't think this sort of volunteer group will attract enough and the right kind of people to do it. Not to mention they'll be answering to no-one and making their own orders, which sounds like a recipe for disaster.
    I can understand this point of view. I guess it just comes down to people willing to get dirty to fight the good fight against something that is just inherently evil.

Comon Revi...me and you buddy, we can make it happen loll.

- - - Updated - - -

Or perhaps you're just misguided and misinformed?
    He seems to make much more sense than you.

Not all divisions of the army get deployed. I made sure I was in one of those. I'm not the type to go throw my life away for the oil of industrial capitalists. The Afghan and Iraq war was illegitimate.
    Dude just stop.......i genuinely feel bad for you now.

Not all divisions of the army get deployed. I made sure I was in one of those. I'm not the type to go throw my life away for the oil of industrial capitalists. The Afghan and Iraq war was illegitimate.
    Wait, do you get to choose if you don't get deployed? I didn't think it worked that way

Makes me think of Blackwater, just with less resources, less leadership and poorer infrastructure.
    We defeat ISIS the same way we defeated AQ in Iraq. With a Sunni Awakening and a troop surge. Followed by an American troop presence in Iraq. The same Sunni fighters that fought against AQ in Iraq in 2006 are fighting alongside ISIS now, after Iraq failed to integrate them into their national security forces.