Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Israel's "Photoshop Law" Goes Into Effect

http://bigthink.com/ideafeed/israels...es-into-effect

As of January 1, models who want to work in print ads and runway shows in Israel must provide potential employers with medical proof certifying that they have a body mass index (BMI) of at least 18.5. The new law is nicknamed "the Photoshop law" because of an additional regulation placed on advertisers requiring clear labeling on ads featuring digitally-altered images of models. Knesset member Rachel Adato, who helped champion the law, says, "A revolution has begun...this law shatters the anorexic ideal serving as an example for the country’s youth." Activist Dana Weinberg says, "The very fact that the law was passed sends a significant message against extreme thinness."
    I think this is a good first step against bad industry practices.

We'll they're just gonna use 3d models instead of real ones. Then they can be as skinny and perfect as they want. Maybe they'll PS a real face on it but that still wouldn't be subject to that law.

Deleted
    It does seem like a good step forwards. Although BMI is not actually an accurate measure of health.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    It does seem like a good step forwards. Although BMI is not actually an accurate measure of health.
    Helps prevent models who are literally skeletons with skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekmek View Post
    We'll they're just gonna use 3d models instead of real ones. Then they can be as skinny and perfect as they want. Maybe they'll PS a real face on it but that still wouldn't be subject to that law.
    I like the way you think boy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekmek View Post
    Then why haven't they, since its cheaper and more cost effective. They show these in reality during fashion shows too for a lot of the modeling industry.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Helps prevent models who are literally skeletons with skin.
    I do think it's necessary, it's just slightly imperfect. It is possible to be beneath 18.5 a still be healthy, BMI was originally designed only to measure the average healthy weights for a population. I'm pretty sure I'm technically underweight. But I'm perfectly healthy.

Deleted
    A "revolution" doesn't start by making more laws, especially if those laws start discriminating one part of the population.
    It's like making laws that want to promote women by discriminating against men. So annorexic women can't model anymore? Doesn't sound like a revolution to me. Sounds like a totalitarian regime that wants to put their values above others.
    Useless law.

Deleted
    This is a great idea. The advertisement industry has been pushing unattainable and unhealthy standards on women that many believe simply by using photoshop. Now we might actually see more realistic women on those ads.

Quote Originally Posted by akuaku View Post
    A "revolution" doesn't start by making more laws, especially if those laws start discriminating one part of the population.
    It's like making laws that want to promote women by discriminating against men. So annorexic women can't model anymore? Doesn't sound like a revolution to me. Sounds like a totalitarian regime that wants to put their values above others.
    Useless law.
    If this is the most coherent rebuttal to the new law, I'd say it's in good shape.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great idea, honestly more nations should adopt a similar approach.

They should have bodacious booties at least.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Dunno think it's a little to stringent, cutting the line right at the bottom of "normal" weight seems wrong, should be more like 18 or 17.5 imo.

So if you are 1% below normal, your cut. Seems silly.

The new law is nicknamed "the Photoshop law" because of an additional regulation placed on advertisers requiring clear labeling on ads featuring digitally-altered images of models.
    Every photo in every add is "digitally-altered". If you chance the color tones or the background it's "digitally-altered". If you crop out a stock photo to use it's "digitally-altered". Just doing the page layout will probably result in something being "digitally-altered". Get ready to see this clear labeling on every page with a photo on it.

If only BMI weren't absolute bullshit...

And I suppose it never occurred to them that they're doing exactly the same thing as the people they're legislating against. All they've done is move the discrimination from one set of people to another.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2015-01-04 at 03:54 PM.

Does the law come with an upper bound on acceptable BMI too?.

15+ Year Old Account
    I like this law. In an ideal world we shouldn't need it, but in this one we absolutely do, the model industry is absolutely disgusting atm.

To the people who think BMI doesn't work at all, learn what it actually is and how muscle affects it. Requiring models to fall within the lower limit of normal body weight is not going to discriminate against those who are simply fit, you're not "fit" if your below 18,5 bmi. If anything, unhealthily thin people will pass that lower limit by having above-average muscle mass.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by teddytous View Post
    Dunno think it's a little to stringent, cutting the line right at the bottom of "normal" weight seems wrong, should be more like 18 or 17.5 imo.

So if you are 1% below normal, your cut. Seems silly.
    Models base their livelyhoods off of maintaining a strict diet already, adding a few hundred calories to that is not going to break them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SirPiken View Post
    Every photo in every add is "digitally-altered". If you chance the color tones or the background it's "digitally-altered". If you crop out a stock photo to use it's "digitally-altered". Just doing the page layout will probably result in something being "digitally-altered". Get ready to see this clear labeling on every page with a photo on it.
    all that is needed is
    "The model in this picture has been digitally altered"

There is no need for such headings where there is no person in the picture.

15+ Year Old Account
    I like the sound of this, I hope it catches on!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    I do think it's necessary, it's just slightly imperfect. It is possible to be beneath 18.5 a still be healthy, BMI was originally designed only to measure the average healthy weights for a population. I'm pretty sure I'm technically underweight. But I'm perfectly healthy.
    Its imperfect, but helpful. Its very possible, but its all genetic