Please help with S-Prist DPS

Hi guys! I was wondering if you could perhaps provide some assistance with my DPS as a shadow priest.

here is my armory link:
    eu dot battle dot net/wow/en/character/lightbringer/Petrefax/simple

and here is a link to a warcraft logs log for a trip to Auchindoun this evening:
    www dot warcraftlogs dot com/reports/6378kZK94YxGt2Rp/#

(cant post links yet cos of post count)

My ilvl is 630 atm, but im struggling to get over 10k dps on most heroic bosses, and i feel i should be doing more than this. Ive read the Icy Veins S-Prist guide, and my build, glyphs and rotation all seem to be pretty much what it suggests i do, and the other priests in my guild seem to think im using the correct build/rotation as well. But my dps seems to suggest otherwise.

My usual rotation is to start with Mind Blast, then apply SW: Pain and Vampiric Touch. After that i use Mind Flay as a filler spell, and Plague and SW: Death when they glow. Overall priority is SW: Death>Plague>Other Dots>Mind Blast>Mind Flay. And of course i pop Mindflayer, Power Infusion and Vampiric Embrace when off cooldown on boss fights.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Deleted
    If you want high dps, spec COP, TOF and Insanity. And read Drye's guide on dotweaving.

Quote Originally Posted by fishyfins View Post
    Hi guys! I was wondering if you could perhaps provide some assistance with my DPS as a shadow priest.

here is my armory link:
    eu dot battle dot net/wow/en/character/lightbringer/Petrefax/simple

and here is a link to a warcraft logs log for a trip to Auchindoun this evening:
    www dot warcraftlogs dot com/reports/6378kZK94YxGt2Rp/#

(cant post links yet cos of post count)

My ilvl is 630 atm, but im struggling to get over 10k dps on most heroic bosses, and i feel i should be doing more than this. Ive read the Icy Veins S-Prist guide, and my build, glyphs and rotation all seem to be pretty much what it suggests i do, and the other priests in my guild seem to think im using the correct build/rotation as well. But my dps seems to suggest otherwise.

My usual rotation is to start with Mind Blast, then apply SW: Pain and Vampiric Touch. After that i use Mind Flay as a filler spell, and Plague and SW: Death when they glow. Overall priority is SW: Death>Plague>Other Dots>Mind Blast>Mind Flay. And of course i pop Mindflayer, Power Infusion and Vampiric Embrace when off cooldown on boss fights.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    I`m really sorry but you have not read Icy veins, or any other related post on this forum.
    If you had you would have known that the standard rotation does not work and is not viable at all at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    The pre-WotLK Mind Flay animation. 2nd biggest reason for rolling a Priest, biggest obviously being Shadowform. Anyone who uses Glyph of Shadow should reroll Hunter, filthy blasphemers.

Quote Originally Posted by Succath View Post
    I`m really sorry but you have not read Icy veins, or any other related post on this forum.
    If you had you would have known that the standard rotation does not work and is not viable at all at this time.
    Maybe he has been reading an outdated Sp guide on icy veins (the 6.0 pre-wod one) cause he said, he's using bender and PI (which were recommended for SoO in 6.0)

So, basically you'll specc into insanity, ToF and CoP and read dyre's guide on howtopriest.
    At ilvl 630, you should end up at around 15-17k dps on heroic dungeon encounters

Hi guys, thanks for the replies!

This is the guide ive been using:
    www dot icy-veins dot com/wow/shadow-priest-pve-dps-guide

Whether its outdated or not, i dont know, but its what ive been recommended to look at, and its the only s-priest dps guide i can find on the site.

Ive just had a skim through the Drye guide on HtP. Gonna have a proper read later (am heading off to work soon). I sort of understand the dot-weave rotation, but i do have two questions:

Firstly, just to clarify, i dont cast any dots until i have 4 orbs? And for the most part (when target is over 20% and im not moving), i just cast Mind blast and Mind spike until i have the orbs, then begin the rotation?

Secondly, i assume when it says Mfl in the rotation, this means mind flay? (wasnt sure if an L or I)

Im sure ill have more questions when i read it properly and start experimenting, but thats all i can think of for now!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fishyfins View Post
    Hi guys, thanks for the replies!

This is the guide ive been using:
    www dot icy-veins dot com/wow/shadow-priest-pve-dps-guide

Whether its outdated or not, i dont know, but its what ive been recommended to look at, and its the only s-priest dps guide i can find on the site.

Ive just had a skim through the Drye guide on HtP. Gonna have a proper read later (am heading off to work soon). I sort of understand the dot-weave rotation, but i do have two questions:

Firstly, just to clarify, i dont cast any dots until i have 4 orbs? And for the most part (when target is over 20% and im not moving), i just cast Mind blast and Mind spike until i have the orbs, then begin the rotation?

Secondly, i assume when it says Mfl in the rotation, this means mind flay? (wasnt sure if an L or I)

Im sure ill have more questions when i read it properly and start experimenting, but thats all i can think of for now!
    1. Basically until you have 4 orbs, the rotation is like this: Mind Spike - Mind Spike - Mind Spike - MB repeat that until you get 4 orbs. Then you begin the dot-weaving rotation.

2. MF:I is what you are reading (most likely). Its insanity, meaning you'll be picking that over Mindbender. Also, when you read that it refers to a GCD. Meaning, each MF:I represents one GCD worth of channeling the spell. That translates into 2 ticks. You should pick up a proper castbar like Gnosis which displays when the ticks occurs. As such, if you are reading something like this: MF:I - MB - MF:I - MF:I you are supposed to get two ticks worth of MF:I, then clip it for MB and then get 4 more ticks of MF:I.

The guide on Icy veins is not outdated but i guess you missed this important part.

"We have presented here the default Shadow Priest rotation. If you are level 100, chances are that you will never use precisely this rotation, since tier 7 talents change the rotation significantly. Each tier 7 talent rotation has its own dedicated sub-section below."

In this sub section it is better explained. however i can understand you might have some issues with it. so have a look at the following.
    http://www.howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6291

And if that does not answer your questions there are loads of other topics where you will find it.

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    The pre-WotLK Mind Flay animation. 2nd biggest reason for rolling a Priest, biggest obviously being Shadowform. Anyone who uses Glyph of Shadow should reroll Hunter, filthy blasphemers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Succath View Post
    The guide on Icy veins is not outdated but i guess you missed this important part.
    Just never rely on icy veins or noxxic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazu View Post
    Just never rely on icy veins or noxxic.
    Pretty accurate lol, they are usually good enough to get started but....