10+ Year Old Account

Brewmaster - 1 Handers (x2) or a 2 Hander

Greetings!

I am looking to tank PvE (raid eventually). I heard that a 2 hander is better for brewmaster tanking. Is this true or is there no difference? Also, what are brewmaster tanks considering to be BiS? I read the guide, but no gear was listed. While the stats priorities were listed, I went through High Maul gear and wasn't too impressed.

Thanks,
    Derivatives
    Power?!?! I'll show you POWER!!!

I know people really like X > Y type answers, but this is probably the single most asked question for Brewmaster, and there honestly (really!) is not one.

Use whichever one you have that has higher ilevel or better stats. If you have 2x1h and a 2h, all equal ilevel, and neither set is a clear stat winner over the other, then Dual Wield because it's slightly (~1%) higher DPS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanberry View Post
    I know people really like X > Y type answers, but this is probably the single most asked question for Brewmaster, and there honestly (really!) is not one.

Use whichever one you have that has higher ilevel or better stats. If you have 2x1h and a 2h, all equal ilevel, and neither set is a clear stat winner over the other, then Dual Wield because it's slightly (~1%) higher DPS.
    Ahh! Very nicely stated. Thank you very much!
    Power?!?! I'll show you POWER!!!

Deleted
    For Highmaul BIS would be Kargath's Bladefist*2, because the other available options have large quantities of rather bad stats tacked on.
    (haste/multistrike)
    Properly used the MS orbs do help, but the way boss positioning works with unexpected tank movement, better to not rely on this.
    On the other hand, crit/vers is always useful.
    However, realistically just take the best you can get your hands on, random drops are random.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on your need/use of Elusive Brew. I like 2H because it gives me a relatively good supply of quick Elusive brew stacks. Whereas I found sometimes 2x1handers can leave me dry for many seconds or rack up a lot very quickly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    Depends on your need/use of Elusive Brew. I like 2H because it gives me a relatively good supply of quick Elusive brew stacks. Whereas I found sometimes 2x1handers can leave me dry for many seconds or rack up a lot very quickly.
    Unless something drastically changed with WoD, 2x1 hander is actually the option to go for if you want smooth gain of EB stacks, where as 2H provides spiky bulks.

Quote Originally Posted by zeeAbe View Post
    Unless something drastically changed with WoD, 2x1 hander is actually the option to go for if you want smooth gain of EB stacks, where as 2H provides spiky bulks.
    hmmm, my experience has been kinda the reverse. I prefer 2H for tanking because it seems more consistent. I go through more dry spells and more spikes with dual wield.

OP, if you can, try both and see waht you prefer. There is no *right* answer. In highmaul, we are limited on stats though, so the gear available could dictate what is better. You still want to optimize your secondary stats if possible to Mastery/(Crit/Vers)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylisto View Post
    hmmm, my experience has been kinda the reverse. I prefer 2H for tanking because it seems more consistent. I go through more dry spells and more spikes with dual wield.

OP, if you can, try both and see waht you prefer. There is no *right* answer. In highmaul, we are limited on stats though, so the gear available could dictate what is better. You still want to optimize your secondary stats if possible to Mastery/(Crit/Vers)
    I don't want to say your experience is wrong necessarily, after all it is just RNG and you could just have personally better RNG with 2H.

But DW does indeed give you smoother EB generation as you have much quicker weapons hitting more often but giving you less stacks per proc. It's something like getting 1-2 stacks pretty often with DW or getting 2-3 less often with 2H. Functionally, they will give the same amount of stacks over the course of a fight since it is all normalized, it's just that 2H is more likely to have dry spells where you don't proc any stacks for three-four melee attacks.