Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Paying for Netflix ever when you can get it all free with a google search, the year is 2015 people.
    So true Maybe it's just me but I don't pay when I don't have to pay unless not paying involves a significant time investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    So they're stopping you from doing illegal shit? Good.
    As I specifically addressed in the original post, not only is geoblocking avoidance not illegal, it is recommended specifically by the Australian government. Read the post before you respond to it, jackass.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Well then, people have the option not to use NetFlix if they don't like what they're are doing.
    You're right; I do. Again, you can see in the original post where I specifically posted a picture of my cancelled account and my intentions to acquire the content elsewhere from now on.

Please don't post if you are going to talk shit that is specifically addressed in the thread you are responding to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Paying for Netflix ever when you can get it all free with a google search, the year is 2015 people.
    Pirating when you have the affordable means to acquire the content legally is what gives the multinational bloodsucker companies a leg to stand on. If you can get it and afford it legally, you should do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Yobtar View Post
    It's funny people hating Netflix for doing this when it's your own countries laws that cause this. They would be more than happy to take your money and show you everything they have but that's not how it works. Take House of Cards in the EU for example, Netflix has to sell the distribution rights to a EU company and then they decide what to do with it.
    It isn't anything to do with my own country's law. My own country's law specifically recommends getting around geoblocking. It is a business decision from netflix to do this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    I've only heard this through media reports. I've yet to meet or hear of an actual person that has had issues. I certainly haven't had any issues. It seems more like a media beat up than actual netflix clamping down, not too mention nexflix have made an announcement that they are not doing this.

Not that it matters, I'll happily start pirating again if this source of content is removed and an inferior australian netflix is implemented.

I wonder how many years needs too pass so region lock gets outlawed. Mostly because it hurts other companys who want too profit, but they wont give them licence.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

I think it's worth adding when netflix had no australian release plans, through a faq on their website they would link a guide on how to bypass geoblocking. I could very well see why they would be doing this with the aussie netflix release coming soon but I still think it would be easier if they just didn't accept credit cards from outside the country. It's a lot more hassle getting an overseas credit card then it is to bypass geoblocking.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    I think it's worth adding when netflix had no australian release plans, through a faq on their website they would link a guide on how to bypass geoblocking. I could very well see why they would be doing this with the aussie netflix release coming soon but I still think it would be easier if they just didn't accept credit cards from outside the country. It's a lot more hassle getting an overseas credit card then it is to bypass geoblocking.
    Reminds me when I tried to bet on sports, but my state does not allow sports betting for some god damn fucking reason. Would not take my card.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Deleted
    i don't see how the company is losing money on this when there is no money to begin with
    if they don't have a license to show a movie in some regions and those regions have to use a vpn to watch it, then there was no money to get to begin with.

also, i pay for netflix and feel like i'm allowed to use a vpn to use their service to watch series and movies (it's what i'm paying for), if i'm not able to use a vpn i will just cancel my account. the danish netflix is so horrible and is insanely far behind, it's to cry about

10+ Year Old Account
    I pay for a tv license and for sky, i feel no guilt about watching tv shows online for free.

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    Companies own greed is what led to piracy of TV Shows. They've got no one to blame but themselves, perhaps if they stopped fucking over their customers then they would have loyalty and less piracy.
    is that right? you know all huh... yet i bet you have a cell phone in your pocket, which the mark up on that and the monthly is way worse than the mark up on the tv shows you watch. yet you pay like a fool every month huh... yes you do

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    I pay for a tv license and for sky, i feel no guilt about watching tv shows online for free.
    because that somehow encompasses all tv shows and all licenses... lmao, kids i swear.

Why do people whine about geoblocking when intellectual property and copyright laws differ by country?

Maybe I'm just a total patsy, but I don't really see why people pirate stuff. If you have Amazon Prime, you have access to more movie and television entertainment than you could possibly consume, completely legal, much less hassle than hunting things down. I don't really want to see some crackdown where we're jailing pirates, but I don't really see the attraction or feel a lot of sympathy for people that wind up with big civil suits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    For those who don't know; people in Australia (and I am sure in other places as well) get charged RIDICULOUS prices for the exact same content, even when the delivery of that content is available via digital means.
    And the price of gold varies from country-to-country as well. Big whoop. You act like you're being cheated in some way. Maybe Australia should cut down on the cost it creates for Netflix instead? Maybe chuck a social entitlement or two?

Quote Originally Posted by Drathos View Post
    Yeah, stopping you from doing something illegal while still paying them money, making you do something illegal without paying them anything instead. Great plan.
    Like, we got Netflix a couple of months back, and I was like "great, now I can watch shows legally". Then I looked at the shows available in Denmark... and went right back to pirating them instead because the stuff available in Denmark is like 2-3 years behind(at best)
    do people like you realize if enough kids pirate and dont buy, the quality of shows will decrease? do you kids realize that? or think it wont happen? this aint like a song bro that takes literally nothing to create.

in the future good movies will be done with CGI and the price will be low but for now a blockbuster can run 100million to film. and you eat up that content in the space of 2 hours and want to pay literally nothing for it? cmon man how long is that going to last in the real world? nah people like me have to buy the movie for kids like you steal it/

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    There is no economical sense or intelligence at all to acquire something for a cost when you can get it for free.
    Sure there is. It doesn't generally operate well when we're talking large-scale things, since people can free-ride, but the principle is simple - I like this content, I like that people make this content, I will voluntary pay to acquire this content. We can see this in action with podcasts that just ask for donations and get them - think Dan Carlin's work, Freakonomics, and so on.

You can elect to make the rational, selfish choice to freeride that system instead, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a rational argument for electing to pay for content.

Absolutely wrong.

There is no economical sense or intelligence at all to acquire something for a cost when you can get it for free. You can then have a moral dillema or argument about it being right or wrong, but that is something economically minded entities will not concern themselves with. In capitalism it's all about whatever can make you the most profit, this is the main operator of every single big business in the world, and Netflix isn't any different.

If Netflix could get something for free they would do it in a heartbeat, same with the entire entertainment industry and if it wasn't legal they'd either keep it under wraps, do it in e foreign country where it isn't illegal, or lobby hard enough to get it made legal somewhere.

You know what seperates economical classes, the poor from the rich? The fact that the rich will have to spend less money on the same things than the poor. A wealthy person can afford a top-end luxury washing machine worth $400 which will last him for 15 years. A middle class person will have to buy a middle range quality washing machine every 6 years for $250. A poor person might not be able to afford a washing machine and will have to pay the full price at a laundromat several times a week and in 15 years he might've spent $1000 on doing his laundry. In the long run the rich save more money than the poor. Same applies to almost every other product in the world, transportation, cars, shoes, clothes. Also keep in mind that the rich can get more credit than the middle or lower class, thus they can make big upfront expenses which will save them even more money in the longrun, it's an upside down world where luxury goods make you spend less money than buying the cheap stuff.

Now think about this for a moment.
    1. We live in a society where big businesses and everything that is supposed to be economical minded has to spend as little money as possible and profit as much as possible
    2. The more you spend money on the same product the lower you'll end up on the capitalist totempole

So saying that it's wrong might be great if you're trying to write the Bible of Obedient Citizenship, but it's the complete opposite of financially sound advice. And if you tried to give such advice in front of a board of directors of a company you'd have to go look for a new job the next morning.
    all this just to say you're jealous of the rich and acknowledge that with your shit attitude you're never even be close to one. yeah, this is a good morning for mmoc, i can see all the bright kids came out to play today

10+ Year Old Account
    because that somehow encompasses all tv shows and all licenses... lmao, kids i swear.
    Don't care, sky has all the shows i watch online. No moral quarrel at all. Also calling people names doesn't make you sound any smarter you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Sure there is. It doesn't generally operate well when we're talking large-scale things, since people can free-ride, but the principle is simple - I like this content, I like that people make this content, I will voluntary pay to acquire this content. We can see this in action with podcasts that just ask for donations and get them - think Dan Carlin's work, Freakonomics, and so on.

You can elect to make the rational, selfish choice to freeride that system instead, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a rational argument for electing to pay for content.
    its funny that he chooses to insult the very people that pay so he can steal content

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Don't care, sky has all the shows i watch online. No moral quarrel at all. Also calling people names doesn't make you sound any smarter you know.
    lmao so you think you own all the licenses to all the shows that plays on skytv? really? wow they need a business class to be mandatory in high school not freaking home economics. this shit is just pure gold comedy right here.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drathos View Post
    Well yeah, that's exactly what they're making people do. Which means they lose money, so they're the only ones losing anything from it.
    But they would already be using that money if all those people had were the content available in their country of origin. There is a reason why Netflix offers different content based on the country you are in. They don't do it just because they like treating different countries different. So when people are using their service to violate the terms that Netflix has for content then they will do something about it.

Will they lose some money? Sure but they shouldn't have been getting money from them in first place so its not really any real money lost. It was just bonus money lost.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Moral conjecture.

How much money do you spend on movies and games every year?

Compare that to someone who doesn't and then wonder why they are more financially stable than you and manage to buy more expensive cars, TVs, dinners or holidays than you.

We live in a capitalist world, so think like a capitalist.
    who cares, i can deal drugs, steal from my neighbor, and do lots of illegal and morally wrong things to be richer. I have, i have pirated, i choose not too any longer and even when i did dirt, i never tried to make it sound like what i was doing was right. i honestly think its the suburbs in you kids that give you this sense of entitlement

How much money do you spend on movies and games every year?
    I spend $100 for Amazon Prime. That isn't strictly movie cost though, I like the fast/free shipping, the library of books for my Kindle, and a couple other goodies. Call it $50 for movies and TV.
    Compare that to someone who doesn't and then wonder why they are more financially stable than you and manage to buy more expensive cars, TVs or holidays.
    This is laughably terrible logic. Almost no one spends anywhere near as much on movies as on cars.
    We live in a capitalist world, so think like a capitalist.
    That's what I'm doing - someone has produced something they'd like to sell me, I think it's worth my money, I elect to pay them.

Don't worry, I'm plenty financially stable, even after losing that massive $8/month for a Prime membership. Somehow, I'll get by.