Thread: snd snapshot

snd snapshot

Hi,

I recently purchased the mark of bleeding hollow enchant for my rogue (PvP), and ive noticed that snd was snapshotting :

If im using it without any procs it gives me a 68% speed buff which is unchanged if the enchant procs latter
    if im using it WITH a proc, it gives me a 73% speed buff which stay after the enchant fades

i m wondering : is it relevant ? shoud i refresh my snd buff when the enchant(s) procs ?

Thanks
    Last edited by predlol; 2015-01-05 at 06:32 PM.

It isn't snapshotting. Bleeding Hollow increases your mastery and as subtlety your mastery increases the effectiveness of SnD.

Deleted
    Yes it does snapshotting,
    - build up to 5 combo points.
    - wait to be out of combat.
    - use slice and dice
    - unequip all your gear
    - compare slice and dice tooltip and slice and dice's buff --> it is snapshotting.

Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    It isn't snapshotting. Bleeding Hollow increases your mastery and as subtlety your mastery increases the effectiveness of SnD.
    The increased SnD effectiveness does not happen unless you use SnD during the proc and it stays increased after the proc expires. This means snapshotting.

If it is snapshotting its a bug as it shouldnt.

It's not a bug.
    There are certain things that can still be quasi-snapshotted.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrde View Post
    It's not a bug.
    There are certain things that can still be quasi-snapshotted.
    While there are some things that still snapshot most of them were specifically noted by Blizz during beta. I don't remember an announcement that SnD was supposed to snapshot so its probably worth clarifying with Blizzard if it is intended.
    Fierydemise-ShaowCraft Engine Guy
    Rogue Chat-Blogging about Rogue PvE and Theorycrafting (Twitter)
    Rogue IRC: #Ravenholdt on Quakenet

Sorry but wtf is snapshotting?

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Slice and Dice
    Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes.
    Oscar Wilde

well if you have all kinds of procs dots and some other spells used to be snapshotted which is kind of taking a picture so every value (proc) on that dot was frozen untill dots were refreshed
    the ultimate answer's to all rogue issues :

-Rogues might still be dealing with the changes to combo points {2014}

Snapshotting was usually more important for casters, so many melees don't know that much about it.
    Snapshotting basically means that the strength of an effect was determined at the moment it was cast and didn't change anymore afterwards.

It's best explained via Damage-over-Time effects. If you e.g. have a trinket that grants you 100% crit-chance for 5 seconds and you have a damaging ability that deals damage every second and lasts for 20 seconds.
    If this ability is affected by snapshotting and you use it while the trinket's effect is active, then for the entire duration of 20 seconds that ability will always do critical damage.
    Conversly, if the ability is affected by snapshotting and you use it before the trinket's effect comes active, then it never benefits from those 100% crit-chance, because the critchance for the entire duration was determined when the ability was cast.

The newer solution, the one without snapshotting, checks for your current affects whenever the respective ability's effect applies. If you use the aforementioned ability in relation with the trinket, then it will always do critical damage for as long as the trinket's effect is active.

In comparison, with the assumption that you have a base critchance of 0%, snapshotting could mean that none of the damage of the ability does critical damage or that all of the damage is critical, whereas the new method means that only the duration during which the trinket is active results in critical damage. [So if you activate the ability first, you get an exact 5 seconds of critical damage, which is what's the most reasonable value.]

Historically, snapshotting went vastly overboard with certain specs in later parts of expansions.
    Insanely strong trinket proccs and temporary buffs could mean that mistiming your snapshots could result in a dps loss of up to 40%, even though you're only messing up by a second or two.
    This made balancing fairly hellish. :P

Awesome, thanks for the quick lesson y'all!

Quote Originally Posted by Ermurazor View Post
    Except you.