Chi Explosion vs. Fists of Fury

Hey monk forum,

Just had a quick question regarding the prioritization of FoF and ChiEx in cleave fights. When does a 4 chi ChiEx take precedence over using FoF on CD? The answer to this could well be never, and I get similar numbers when prioritizing either, but I was just curious if this changed based on number of targets, or whether there is always a clear winner in fights with more than one target.

Me and the other monk in our guild think it's best to just FoF on CD.

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The answer is pretty much never, the damage gap is pretty reasonable and FoF does scale somewhat with more targets. Take SEF into account and the math becomes doable but complicated. To my knowledge the current content doesn't have a point where that would work, Tectus comes closest but you should be using SCK or RJW which cuts down on CX use.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Babylonius View Post
    The answer is pretty much never, the damage gap is pretty reasonable and FoF does scale somewhat with more targets. Take SEF into account and the math becomes doable but complicated. To my knowledge the current content doesn't have a point where that would work, Tectus comes closest but you should be using SCK or RJW which cuts down on CX use.
    Possibly Imperator/Ko'Ragh with the little addlings, assuming you keep them all up and blow cooldowns and then nuke them all (Imp)?

I think this question relies heavily on the matter of does ChiEx have target cap or not.

only case this tier is tectus mythic imo. When you have like 8-10? adds not sure how many there are, think its 8 little 2 mediums. Anyway. At this point ChiEX is better imo, why? We aren't looking from FoF nor chiEX dmg at this point, but rather RJW or SCK. We wanna use those abilities as chi generators, and chiex as a chi dump coz it generates tons of TEB stacks which causes RJW or SCK dmg to be higher.

Quote Originally Posted by zeeAbe View Post
    Possibly Imperator/Ko'Ragh with the little addlings, assuming you keep them all up and blow cooldowns and then nuke them all (Imp)?

I think this question relies heavily on the matter of does ChiEx have target cap or not.
    CX caps in a similar way to what FoF does (doing less and less for each additional target, but approaching 2x single target damage total).
    Last edited by rijn dael; 2015-01-06 at 02:19 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rijn dael View Post
    CX caps in a similar way to what FoF does (doing less and less for each additional target, but approaching 2x single target damage total).
    Unless ChiEx has some hidden effects that are not visible in the tooltip, it should work quite the opposite compared to FoF.

As we know, FoF works like this: X damage to main target and X damage split upon everything else that happens to be in the cone.

4 chi ChiEx (According to tooltip) hits EVERYTHING on 8 yard range (and applies the dot).

So if ChiEx does not have a unit cap, there definitely is amount of targets where it becomes more powerful than FoF. Especially because of the triple application of the DoT with SEF.

Quote Originally Posted by zeeAbe View Post
    Unless ChiEx has some hidden effects that are not visible in the tooltip, it should work quite the opposite compared to FoF.

As we know, FoF works like this: X damage to main target and X damage split upon everything else that happens to be in the cone.

4 chi ChiEx (According to tooltip) hits EVERYTHING on 8 yard range (and applies the dot).

So if ChiEx does not have a unit cap, there definitely is amount of targets where it becomes more powerful than FoF. Especially because of the triple application of the DoT with SEF.
    Chi explosions was changed to function the same as FoF just before live hit. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Explosion-nerf. It's just the same issue as RSK still showing 20% on tooltips. Blizzard really needs to get these tooltips fixed faster, It's not really acceptable for almost every main ability for WW's not do as the tooltip describes.

Quote Originally Posted by decbrew View Post
    Chi explosions was changed to function the same as FoF just before live hit. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Explosion-nerf. It's just the same issue as RSK still showing 20% on tooltips. Blizzard really needs to get these tooltips fixed faster, It's not really acceptable for almost every main ability for WW's not do as the tooltip describes.
    Thanks for finding that, the mmoc search engine failed me :P

I should have remembered the 'line bending over and intersecting its own ass', perfect quote to find it in future :-)

Later in that thread though -
    Quote Originally Posted by FayrenPickpocket View Post
    I'd be okay with it if it means they won't revert the 16.5% buff we got earlier this month. If they plan on reverting the change, with the chiEx nerf, then I'll be pissed.

:-(
    Last edited by rijn dael; 2015-01-06 at 04:14 AM.

TIL RSK doesn't give 20% extra damage anymore....