Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The United States and Canada, if I remember correctly, are the two "hardest" working countries in the western world. This doesn't come at a surprise. Our average workweek is like 37 hours while Sweden's like low 20's, right?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't take many... but I had just started a new job and wanted to build up some time.

Of course, it sucks being 50+ and still getting only 2 weeks of vacation time when starting a new job. Yay Capitalism USA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    It means no time off... other then weekends. And christmas, new years, thanksgiving, presidents day, labor day, independence day, etc.
    So in essence, the thread's actual title is "42% of Americans didn't take any vacations beyond the days off they already get."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Yeah but at least we don't live at the bottom of the ocean. You can't live at the bottom of the ocean. You would die. Even though you don't have to work.

HERPA DERPA DERP DERPITY DERP DERP that is why nobody has time to take a vacation anymore. Because you would otherwise live at the bottom of the ocean

Blah blah blah cognitive dissonance. Maybe if I sit here sucking the man's dick long enough he'll give me a vacation day. LAND OF OPPORTUNITY. WOULD YOU RATHER LIVE IN COMMUNIST RUSSIA!?!?!?!?

There I played out this thread for you. It's ready for lock.
    Are you mad? Because you sound mad.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Basically this. Think I took one day off and I have some absurd amount of leave saved up. I simply do not trust my employer not to fire me if I go on leave.
    On what grounds? And is the economy so bad over there that losing a job means you can't get another?

I couldn't give two shits about such a risk. If my employer fires me, their loss, I'll get another job elsewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baxxtah View Post
    1500... that is what i call a huge sample size!
    It actually is to anyone who knows a thing or two about statistics provided the sample pool is varied enough.
    Last edited by zealo; 2015-01-06 at 09:14 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I got a week more of vacation this year. It's going to be used.

^ this. There is more that needs to be factored into this.

How many get a check for the vacation time if they don't take it?
    How many let vacation time build up so they would have more?
    How many just chose not to take a vacation?

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    It actually is to anyone who knows a thing or about statistics provided the sample pool is varied enough.
    I think this may be the issue though. If it's an internet poll then that means the sample pool is completely random so there's no way of regulating the variety.

"Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything"

42!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post

Are you mad? Because you sound mad.
    No I think if we go back to the gold standard and bring back the mandatory 80 hour work week like we had in the 19th century everybodies dog would play the fiddle and we would all be trillionaires and only lazy people wouldn't make it and they could go to the work houses and make the freedumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    wow, that´s, wow

what do americans work for, to be able to go to work?
    Some of em, yeh. I dont know any one like this, every one I know gets 2-3 weeks of paid vacation a year and we all take it. Why wouldn't you?
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Deleted
    Thats because the fucking lazy Americans brows on the Internet, do private Calls while working. In Germany you would get fired for such lazy behavior!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Some of em, yeh. I dont know any one like this, every one I know gets 2-3 weeks of paid vacation a year and we all take it. Why wouldn't you?
    Honestly... I often just forget. Hard to plan far enough ahead to make time for a vacation.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Aqueous View Post
    On what grounds? And is the economy so bad over there that losing a job means you can't get another?

I couldn't give two shits about such a risk. If my employer fires me, their loss, I'll get another job elsewhere.
    Can they even fire you like that without risking a court case?

I started this job 1st September. My Christmas holiday started at 6pm on the 19th December and ends today (and a holiday day got carried over to 2015).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    I simply do not trust my employer not to fire me if I go on leave.
    Behold American employment law.

1. No grounds needed. They can fire you without needing a reason. Behold "at will employment".

2. Basically, yeah. There's decidedly more people unemployed than there are jobs.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    Poor Americans no freedom at all?

Besides, people, weekend days don't count as a vacation, we're talking about actual vacation here, not you're 1-2 day catch up your breath-time.

Even people working at minimum wage have the right to take 20 days of (paid).
    Last edited by mmoc013aca8632; 2015-01-06 at 09:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    wow, that´s, wow

what do americans work for, to be able to go to work?
    Pretty much this. It's really bad here and it is weird how few Americans see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think this may be the issue though. If it's an internet poll then that means the sample pool is completely random so there's no way of regulating the variety.
    If it's actually random, the odds are excellent that is varied.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    I know I'm spoiled where I work but my wife was recently written up for taking three days of the sick leave she had acquired. Some places actually discipline employee absences even if it is earned time off. In the case of my wife she had 70 hours of sick leave earned but the hospital she works for still considers all Call-Offs as "Occurrences" - She can't take any Vacation or Sick Time until May unless she wishes to be suspended without pay for excessive absences. It's pretty screwed up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Streacky View Post
    Thats because the fucking lazy Americans brows on the Internet, do private Calls while working. In Germany you would get fired for such lazy behavior!

The world calls us lazy, but we are one of the most overworked nations in the world in a lot of ways. Cognitive disconnect?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

If my company paid me back for the vacation days that I wasn't allowed to roll into the following year, I wouldn't take vacation either. I litterally have no days off between Easter and Thanksgiving and that's fine by me.