Question ilvl 650 - unholy simming lower than frost 2H

Hi folks,

I usually run 2H frost for dps, but I've been trying my hand at unholy, considering logs place it consistently higher.

Curiously, with my gear and on a patchwerk fight (set on average skill), UH sims at 17.5k dps and and Frost 2H at 18.5k. My secondary stats sim close enough in UH that they shouldn't account for that much of a difference ... could it be because my weapon is my best item and frost is heavily depending on weapon dps?

This is made worse by the fact that I can't seem to play UH correctly, following Mendenbarr's rotation (and using no CDs, no buffs beyond horn of winter), I barely pull 15k dps on the dummy whereas I can easily reach 17.5k with 2H frost.

Here's my simc gear summary :

# gear_strength=2404
    # gear_crit_rating=184
    # gear_haste_rating=505
    # gear_mastery_rating=729
    # gear_multistrike_rating=863
    # gear_versatility_rating=845

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

Unholy is only higher in logs because these fights are all multi target except Butcher and maybe Koragh depending on your strat. But when it comes to sims, in a pure single target fight like Butcher 2H Frost will win.
    Last edited by Inject; 2015-01-06 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boz0 View Post
    Hi folks,

I usually run 2H frost for dps, but I've been trying my hand at unholy, considering logs place it consistently higher.

Curiously, with my gear and on a patchwerk fight (set on average skill), UH sims at 17.5k dps and and Frost 2H at 18.5k. My secondary stats sim close enough in UH that they shouldn't account for that much of a difference ... could it be because my weapon is my best item and frost is heavily depending on weapon dps?

This is made worse by the fact that I can't seem to play UH correctly, following Mendenbarr's rotation (and using no CDs, no buffs beyond horn of winter), I barely pull 15k dps on the dummy whereas I can easily reach 17.5k with 2H frost.

Here's my simc gear summary :

# gear_strength=2404
    # gear_crit_rating=184
    # gear_haste_rating=505
    # gear_mastery_rating=729
    # gear_multistrike_rating=863
    # gear_versatility_rating=845

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.
    http://www.simulationcraft.org/reports/Raid_T17N.html

2handed Frost Sims Higher, and most top DK's switched back to Frost if they don't need to cleave.

Makes sense, guess I've just read too much that UH was extremely close to 2H frost in single target, and my own poor execution of the rotation is mostly to blame
    The extra 10% UH gets on soul reaper might also count for a little something, since I can't get them on a target dummy.

Thanks for the input, I'm not giving up completely on UH yet, though I still prefer 2H frost gameplay.

i have been extensively testing 2h frost and UH in rotation on EVERY boss in heroic HM. 2h Frost only shines in situations where you can literally only hit ONE boss at a time with zero adds. The issue is that Butcher is the only boss that has nothing else to cleave off of. With BB hitting as hard single target as SS, that means that with the AoE rotation you will have 4 death runes and 2 UH runes available if played correctly. allowing you to switch between a single and multi target rotation easily. UH is the true answer when it comes to DPS honestly.I play 2h frost for butcher alone, and thats literally it. UH is too valuable everywhere else if maximizing your spec. Sims show a PERFECT situation, which you will never have on a boss.
    im sorry but you just wont, and I am a top 85%+ plus player. 90% sometimes in Heroic HM. It just depends. No i am not "tooting my own horn"

This is my experience. DW frost also has its moments because cleave is constant and brainless and the rotation is stupid simple. at this point in the game its literally whatever you excel at Spec wise. Theyre too close together.

As I mentioned, w/o any buffs, I'm only pulling 15k with UH vs 17.5k with frost (2H or DW) on the dummy, which kinda put me off, since my (casual) guild just started raiding last week, we just downed Kargath/Butcher.

I guess I'll just have to switch every now and then to try both specs once we get a bit further into Highmaul.

Quote Originally Posted by boz0 View Post
    As I mentioned, w/o any buffs, I'm only pulling 15k with UH vs 17.5k with frost (2H or DW) on the dummy, which kinda put me off, since my (casual) guild just started raiding last week, we just downed Kargath/Butcher.

I guess I'll just have to switch every now and then to try both specs once we get a bit further into Highmaul.
    considering dummys ignore UHs soul reaper, our hardest hitting ability by far, i don't think that's a very fair comparison to make.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFlame View Post
    considering dummys ignore UHs soul reaper, our hardest hitting ability by far, i don't think that's a very fair comparison to make.
    True, and I mentioned that myself above, but since SR represents about 10% of my total damage as a 2H frost DK, I can't imagine it being above 15% for UH, which doesn't account for all the difference between the sim and my low dummy performance.

Deleted
    Im fairly sure the missing soul repear damage is the difference.

Its simply incredible for unholy.

Soul Reaper sims at around 14% for Unholy, so your guess is about right.