Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammcoles View Post
    Thank you all for the advice. I realize that my lack of knowledge might be irritating to some.

Returning the PC won't be difficult, as the factory outlet is quite close to me, and in regards to spending more money, I could go about up to about £450 - £500, after returning the PC, and if I were to spend money on new parts for what I currently have, I can spread the cost across paychecks, so I'm willing to spend a bit more over time, if it is AT ALL possible to replace the parts, if what you say about the card being built into the motherboard is true.

I don't have huge ambitions for how well I want it to run, the best I have ever played WoW, is around 15 - 20 FPS on low graphical settings, if I could get this to run an steady 30 on medium - high settings, I would be satisfied.

Given all the advice, what would be the best thing to do from here? and what components would you recommend with my new budget?
    Let me have a fiddle with PC Part picker for the UK.

You won't get a top end PC, maybe the bottom end of a Mid range PC for that price, it'll run most things at acceptable pace though.

Here, not the best by any means and slightly over your budget, its £562, it'll run WoW fine, even with the new character models, I put Windows 8.1 in there instead of windows 7. Windows 8 was horrible prior to 8.1 due to the lack of a start menu, 8.1 has the start menu however and games run better on Windows 8 than they do on Windows 7.

The CPU is better than the i3-4150 you have above, energy consumption for AMD CPU's and GFX cards are generally higher than Intel and Nvidia, if you don't mind the slightly higher energy bills though go for it, otherwise you'll have to reconfigure it to intel/nvidia. If you really wanted to you could find a cheaper graphics card and try fit an SSD in there for a boot drive, its great for booting stuff up, i'd swear by an SSD normally but you're on a tight budget so I wasn't able to include one sadly.

The most important thing is - it crushes the one you posted in to the floor it should serve you well.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/gckCqs

CPU - FX-6300
    MOTHERBOARD - Generic ASROCK board
    Ram - Corsair Vengeance CAS 9 / 8 gig 1600mhz
    Storage - Seagate Barracuda 1TB / 7200rpm / 6gbs /64mb cache
    GFX - ATI 280x
    Case - BitFenix Neos Black
    Power - Corsair 550w gold certified semi modular
    Optical drive - generic LG drive
    OS - Windows 8.1 64bit OEM

Total - £562, may be slightly more due to shipping costs etc.
    Last edited by Turaska; 2015-01-08 at 04:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammcoles View Post
    Thank you all for the advice. I realize that my lack of knowledge might be irritating to some.

Returning the PC won't be difficult, as the factory outlet is quite close to me, and in regards to spending more money, I could go about up to about £450 - £500, after returning the PC, and if I were to spend money on new parts for what I currently have, I can spread the cost across paychecks, so I'm willing to spend a bit more over time, if it is AT ALL possible to replace the parts, if what you say about the card being built into the motherboard is true.

I don't have huge ambitions for how well I want it to run, the best I have ever played WoW, is around 15 - 20 FPS on low graphical settings, if I could get this to run an steady 30 on medium - high settings, I would be satisfied.

Given all the advice, what would be the best thing to do from here? and what components would you recommend with my new budget?
    First return that machine. ASAP!

Here's my recommendation. You don't need an OS right? The BluRay drive isn't needed but I threw it in anyway if you want it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£130.94 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£49.36 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: Mushkin Essentials 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory (£56.01 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Hitachi 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£68.32 @ CCL Computers)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB PCS+ Video Card (£123.19 @ More Computers)
    Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£26.99 @ Ebuyer)
    Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Essential 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£51.24 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer (£37.85 @ Ebuyer)
    Total: £543.90
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-08 03:56 GMT+0000
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2015-01-08 at 03:56 AM.

Ah, if he already had the OS he could remove windows 8.1 from the one I posted and splash out on a better CPU

Quote Originally Posted by Turaska View Post
    The CPU is better than the i3-4150
    Uhhh no, not even close. If they play WoW(or any other CPU-bound game) Intel is the best option to get the best performance at almost any budget.

That said, Duke's build looks pretty solid aside from the ludicrously-overpriced HDD that I would change to a 1TB Caviar Blue/Barracuda for ~40. If you want to splurge a bit, get a WD Black 1TB for ~55 for the 5-year warranty.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Deleted
    Cheap solution, more powerful GPU, great overall performance:

CPU: Intel Core i3-4360 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor (£103.14 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: MSI B85M-P33 V2 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£39.64 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£58.96 @ CCL Computers)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£40.39 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card (£144.99 @ Ebuyer)
    Case: Zalman Z3 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case (£26.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£46.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£10.46 @ Aria PC)
    Total: £471.56
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-08 08:59 GMT+0000

Less powerful GPU but better CPU overall, cost a little extra:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£162.18 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: MSI B85M-P33 V2 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£39.64 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£58.96 @ CCL Computers)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£40.39 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB PCS+ Video Card (£123.19 @ More Computers)
    Case: Zalman Z3 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case (£26.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£46.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£10.46 @ Aria PC)
    Total: £508.80
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-08 08:57 GMT+0000