Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Yeah, some martial arts schools seem to be more about aesthetics/form over actual function, and if I was ever to take up martial arts or boxing it would be to learn some basic personal defense. I'm not going to take classes to learn how to jump around doing flips and twirls and shit while some whackjob is trying to mug/rape/whatever me, I'm going to kick that jackass in the nuts and run like hell.

It really is, although I think Buddhism is cool for some reason.
    /raises hand.

Because it's a pragamatic philosophy towards life and suffering if you acknowledge it's views on knowledge/ ethics while telling it's metaphysical outlooks to go fuck themselves?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Yeah, some martial arts schools seem to be more about aesthetics/form over actual function, and if I was ever to take up martial arts or boxing it would be to learn some basic personal defense. I'm not going to take classes to learn how to jump around doing flips and twirls and shit while some whackjob is trying to mug/rape/whatever me, I'm going to kick that jackass in the nuts and run like hell.
    If you really want something for self-defense, just get a gun. A knife or can of mace won't matter for dick if they're already on you, nor will a gun, but a gun gives you the ability to defend yourself from a safe distance while a knife or pepper spray requires you to get close. Having a gun pointed at you is also a very not-fun experience and will stop most people in their tracks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    /raises hand.

Because it's a pragamatic philosophy towards life and suffering if you acknowledge it's views on knowledge/ ethics while telling it's metaphysical outlooks to go fuck themselves?
    Pretty much all major religions are this if you don't buy into the spiritual or metaphysical aspects and completely ignore dogma. Religion in general all springs from the same source, most likely. Scans of brainwave activity show that someone praying to God has the same kinds and levels of activity as someone in deep meditation, which to me at least strongly implies that prayer is basically self-guided meditation.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    If you really want something for self-defense, just get a gun. A knife or can of mace won't matter for dick if they're already on you, nor will a gun, but a gun gives you the ability to defend yourself from a safe distance while a knife or pepper spray requires you to get close. Having a gun pointed at you is also a very not-fun experience and will stop most people in their tracks.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty much all major religions are this if you don't buy into the spiritual or metaphysical aspects and completely ignore dogma. Religion in general all springs from the same source, most likely. Scans of brainwave activity show that someone praying to God has the same kinds and levels of activity as someone in deep meditation, which to me at least strongly implies that prayer is basically self-guided meditation.
    They really aren't IMO.

The monotheistic religions without god lose a lot of substance. Christanity without god and the holy spirit? Come on now.

10+ Year Old Account
    They really aren't IMO.

The monotheistic religions without god lose a lot of substance. Christanity without god and the holy spirit? Come on now.
    Every major religion has some central authority figure, or group of central authority figures, whether they're considered a deity or just a particularly enlightened dude. At the end of the day, as far as I'm concerned it's all the same stuff. It's just a way for some folks to make the world a little less scary and a little more organized for themselves. Buddhism has just as many fools that stick to dogma instead of basic sense as any other religion, even if it doesn't technically have any kind of deity involved.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

/raises hand.

Yes. And Buddhist practices regarding being mindful and aware have really transformed my life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every major religion has some central authority figure, or group of central authority figures, whether they're considered a deity or just a particularly enlightened dude. At the end of the day, as far as I'm concerned it's all the same stuff. It's just a way for some folks to make the world a little less scary and a little more organized for themselves. Buddhism has just as many fools that stick to dogma instead of basic sense as any other religion, even if it doesn't technically have any kind of deity involved.

I agree with that last part, mostly due to me not being able to fully convert because of fundamental disagreements I have with some parts.

Long story short: Budhhist sect in Flordia: The pursuit of higher standards of living is arbitrary and is detrimental to finding enlightenment.

Me: Why does our central authority have a background in wealth then? I mean, if anything, having higher living standards makes people more likely to question the real nature of life in today's world;especially given access to neccessary things.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with that last part, mostly due to me not being able to fully convert because of fundamental disagreements I have with some parts.

Long story short: Budhhist sect in Flordia: The pursuit of higher standards of living is arbitrary and is detrimental to finding enlightenment.

Me: Why does our central authority have a background in wealth then? I mean, if anything, having higher living standards makes people more likely to question the real nature of life in today's world;especially given access to neccessary things.
    See, there's your issue, you're trying to join a sect. No, man, what you're wanting is to join a cult. Totally different things!

Just convert to Shamanism
    What? Was funny as hell, some random immediately referring to her as "goddess"
    Guess I'm some random

10+ Year Old Account
    See, there's your issue, you're trying to join a sect. No, man, what you're wanting is to join a cult. Totally different things!
    I used sect wrongly (better look up what shit means next time)

That viewpoint is pretty common among budhhists. Granted, I've engaged in a lot of them on dialouge only to agree to disagree that I ain't about that life cause reasonz.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just convert to Shamanism
    Not even shamans want to be shamans!

Deleted
    As much as I like the idea of Shamanism I'm going to have to remind you guys that we don't allow the discussion of religion here. I'm not sure if I can say "get back on topic" since this thread seems to have changed topic a multitude of times. It would probably be pretty pointless trying to get this back to the original post now so I'm just going to go ahead and close this.

We do have plenty of threads about fitness/weight loss in our Sports & Fitness Forum