Thread: Games on laptop

Games on laptop

My laptop isn't for gaming but the specs are still good enough for the games i want like 7-8 years old but its always choppy and low fps. The same specs i had on a desktop computer years ago (not same even a little lower in quality and speed) played these games just fine. It does seem to run hot but ive got a laptop cooler under it so not sure what else could be causing it.

I look at task manager while the games in process and ram usage and cpu usage are all fine. I am thinking it could be the video card but its not an intel it is nvidia. I am not too knowledgeable on how laptops work but this really has my mind boggled. The laptop is acer aspire 5742g.

10+ Year Old Account
    Laptop cooler won't fix the problem. If the heatsink is clogged with dust, that would likely be the cause of your problem. Here's a video showing you how to take it apart to clean it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk65lnGnWUc

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Laptop cooler won't fix the problem. If the heatsink is clogged with dust, that would likely be the cause of your problem. Here's a video showing you how to take it apart to clean it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk65lnGnWUc
    Are you sure overheating is the problem? Games have always been slow ever since i got the laptop.

10+ Year Old Account
    You said it runs hot right? When Intel chips run hot they slow down massively. It's also common that a layer of dust and hair would clog the air vent. The Acer you have should have a Core i5-450M beside with NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M. At least that's what I get when I Google the 5742g. That's not slow. WoW should run decently well. A laptop is no different than a desktop PC. It'll get dusty and overheat the CPU. Unlike a desktop you just can't open up the case and clean out the dust.

You can download HWmonitor and report the temp you get. Both for the CPU and GPU if you can.

Ah well i pulled it apart (took 2 hours heh) and the fan area was relatively clean but the thermal compounds on used were pretty bad. Applied new paste and now its quiet and games running smooth

Although i somehow screwed up the laptops keyboard. Have to use a wireless one right now but in device manager its saying the laptops keyboard is functional :S

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know what kind of connector the keyboard uses but I imagine it's like every other laptop. It uses a thin flat wire that plugs into a clip on connector. Make sure to push it in all the way and then push in the clips on the side. Carefully do this or you may break it.

The other type is the flip up style, where you flip up this thin plastic to remove it. Again make sure it's in all the way but don't force it. Should just slide in and then flip the plastic.

http://pcpart.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/63.jpg

Feel free to take a picture and post it so I can guide you.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2015-01-08 at 11:35 PM.