How to analyze hunter logs

So what kind of things should I be looking for when analyzing logs of a hunter, both MM and SV? Trying to help a guildie that is struggling on some fights like Imperator (he asked for my help).

For his attempt on Imperator as MM I did some basic things like check ST uptime, number of kill shots and barrage usage when add is up and he can def improve on that, ST uptime was 10% lower than mine, he did way less kill shots and not enough barrage damage on add, but other than that not sure what else to check. Ah, his rapid fire usage was fine from what I saw.

For his attempt as SV I saw that his BA and SS uptime were too low (57% and 81%) and his barrage usage was sub-optimal, other than that though not sure what to check...

PS: Should I link the log here or is that against some terms of use (i.e. linking someone else's log?)

I'd appreciate some ideas, thanks.
    Last edited by land; 2015-01-07 at 09:33 PM.

A lot of variables come into play with such a vague description, but regardless there are still a few things I would look for.
    Make sure he is using barrage when the aberration comes up and is not just meaniglessly throwing out right before the add is about to spawn. Check for explosive trap usage (survival), some people like to use it on aberrations others don't, it's a matter of opinion. However I would 100% use explosive trap on the anomalies (unless it's progression for you). For pulls as marks make sure he is killshotting the abberations at least once (my guild doesn't give me time to cast two, maybe yours does). I don't know how far you guys got, but make sure he is multi-dotting the war mages in intermissions.

Those are the big ones that stand out in my mind as things i need to do to increase DPS on that fight, the rest may come down to rotation errors, poor GCDS usage, etc. stuff that would require a more in-depth look.

You can link the logs, we all can take a look at it. But I think there is a help my dps thread.

Good point, going to post there.

Deleted
    Chim shot should be used on CD, with an average usage of at least once every 10-10.3 seconds minimum - even if you are assigned to branded it should not go above 10.5 seconds on IMP. Bosses like Kargath/Butcher it should be around 9.3-9.5 ideally. (Keep 35 minimum focus, use aimed shot when you have 80 focus or 65 with ToTH proc - this will also help you manage barrages better for the abberations.)
    (Pre) gather 90-110 focus before popping rapid fire. And most importantly, move - stop - move. If you do not stop instantly after moving from a force nova to get your ST up (or picking up branded) again then you will most likely go below 60% uptime.
    During Rapid fire only use barrage (if more than 1 target), aimed and steady shot - dont waste time trying to pop in a AmoC (unless you can reset it with atleast 10 ticks) and dont use kill shot.
    Focus on the other mage (80%> hp) when one gets below 80% hp and make sure to snipe when kill shot is off CD.
    MD your tank and use barrage when the remenents spawn instead of the big add during p4. You should JUST be able to get in 2 barrages unless your guild has a heavy aoe centric comp - not ideal to use on remnents if you have alot of aoe classes and can kill the small adds within 20 seconds.

Pretty much all I can think of, and, ofcourse, make sure you are always casting something. Don't run away too early with branded. Disengage when you have 2seconds left and you will be fine (if you take the disengage glyph)