6) Gearing
    7) Understanding Chakra
    8) Rotations and Tips
    9) Chakra Dancing/Advanced Play
    10) Logs
    11) Conclusion

1) Introduction
    Hello Priests!
    My name is Tomali and I've been playing a priest on and off since vanilla. The new changes to the spec, mainly enhanced chakra, encouraged me to switch back to holy, and I very much enjoy it. I've also noticed a distinct lack of holy guides, so I decided to make my own. This is a guide geared towards raiding. This spans from 10-30man normals all the way to mythic raiding. This is a relatively new spec, especially given the immense popularity of the discipline spec last expansion.

What to expect from holy:
    Holy is a different spec than discipline priests. This is obvious, but is important to remember. It is not necessarily better or worse, but different. I would relate holy priests closer to resto druids or resto shamans depending on the playstyle. They are a throughput healing class that can dish out big healing numbers once the raid has been damaged. It is a very different model than the preventative healing of the discipline spec.

2) Pro/Con list
    Pros:
    -Raid healing uses many instant cast spells. This makes avoiding mechanics easier than other cast heavy classes.
    -Healing is not limited or even related to stacking
    -Provides substantial raid healing throughput.
    -Great utility with feathers, guardian angel, and lifegrip
    -Extremely mana efficient raid healing

Cons:
    -Lack of mana efficient single target heals
    -Lack of a useful AOE healing spell for stacked fights
    -Somewhat lackluster raid cd if used alone.
    -Lack of a consistent save heal to keep people up who are near death
    -Heals take time, and are not instant bursts

3) Spells/names
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Attached is a google doc I created that has the HPM and HPS of our various spells for people who want to objectively see the differences in our kit.

4) Talents-note-I skip some talents in this guide because they are not worth talking about from a raiders perspective. This isn't to say they do not have other uses, but that is not the point of this guide.
    Lv 15
    Desperate prayer is the clear winner of this tier. Though angelic bulwark is easier to use, in that it doesn't actually require a button, the shield it provides is usually wasted. Having desperate prayer bound to a convenient key has saved my on many attempts. It is another healthstone where you are in control of the heal itself.
    Lv30
    There are two raid viable choices here: feathers or body and soul. I see the merit of both talents, bur personally use feathers for most fights. Guise provides interesting plays for targeted fights (if you were playing for paragons of the klaxxi in siege), but that is the exception.
    Body and soul increases the move speed of anyone you give PW:S to. This is very easy to do, but there is a 6 second cooldown on PW:S for holy priests, and weakened soul prevents additional speed increases on an individual person past that. Feathers can provide more speed at the cost of skill in placing the feather, in addition to a GCD. However, mobility is invaluable in many fights. Preemptively placing feathers is extremely useful. This is definitely a more advanced, and takes some practice to do in a raid environment. Body and soul is also not viable if you play with a discipline priest, as you will be shield blocking them.
    Lv45
    This is the mana regeneration talent tree. Although this talent tree is a source of contention among some priest communities, I feel that solace flat out wins most real life raiding scenarios currently. First off, it flat out yields more mana than mind bender. You also do not need to worry about the beast being cleaved down, or having bad programming/pathing/whatever else that randomly happens to a mindbender. I personally value knowing just how much mana I have in a fight, and using solace brings consistency to mana regeneration.
    The big source of discussion, however, is the difference between Surge of Light and Solace in throughput. Surge of Light can bring serendipity charges, which can allow for quick prayer of healings. Once we attain higher ilv gear and have more consistent regeneration, I LOVE how surge of light plays into the holy toolkit. Between this and the current tier 4piece, we will have loads of serendipity procs at our disposal to use, which will really make the spec more complex. I very much want to use this talent, but feel that we do not have the gear to support it. It may result in a straight throughput increase, but that does not matter if it cannot be sustained during a 6-10 minute fight.

I use a macro to make solace easier to cast. This either hits your enemy target with solace or assists your target. This makes it easier to use on cooldown.
    #showtooltip Power Word: Solace
    /cast [harm][@targettarget,harm][] Power Word: Solace

Lv60
    This talent tier is not as important for raiding. I personally choose void tendrils in most cases for the few add fights where the monsters are not immune to all forms of cc. Psychic scream also has a good number of uses. I would leave this one up to personal preference.

Lv75
    Twist of fate-I would use this for fights where people frequently dip below the 35% cutoff. This is very boss dependent, however. I would use skada or some sort of damage meter to track your twist of fate buff uptime to figure out if this talent is right for a certain fight.

***Power infusion-Overall, I think this is the strongest talent in this group. It is both a throughput and a mana cooldown. Repeat: this spell is also a mana cooldown. This spell should be used any time you are worried about excess raid damage. A PI renew blanket on a raid is very strong, and competes with other healer throughput cooldowns. 90% of the time I am using this talent.

Divine insight-is not used right now. It might become more powerful with 2/4piece, which provides huge buffs to prayer of mending. I would not even consider using this until we can look at the 4 piece in addition to seeing any changes or buffs/nerfs that occur in 6.1.

Lv90
    These talents were what made disc priests overpowered last tier. This is no longer the case. I am a huge proprietor of cascade, but many other priests can use halo. Divine star right now is very weak, and is only debatably useful in completely stacked fights. Halo requires positioning yourself farther away from the raid/clump of players, while cascade does most of the work for you. If you think you are good at positioning yourself in a raid group, halo can be stronger.

Lv100
    tl;dr Words of Mending wins for every fight.

Unfortunately there is really only one viable talent for lv100 holy priests, and it will only get stronger once we attain our 2/4piece set. Words of mending is the only talent I would use in a raid. I hope clarity will receive a buff and allow its use, but until then it is simply undertuned. The other spell is strictly a pvp spell, as it would reduce overall throughput by reducing your overall healing done for the next 8 seconds.

5) Glyphs
    Necessary:
    Glyph of Renew. This increases your renew ticks but takes off a few seconds. This glyph is 100% required as there are many situations where the last tick of a renew is wasted due to overhealing. It allows people to be topped off faster, which has obvious advantages in a raid setting.
    Viable:
    Glyph of Circle of Healing: this glyph is only necessary for raid healing, as healing 6 people is not needed in 5 man dungeons. Circle of healing is arguably the most powerful spell in your toolkit.
    Glyph of Binding Heal: this glyph I would say is required for 5man dungeons and CMs, but is not completely necessary to do well raid healing. As you learn more about chakra dancing, this glyph becomes a bit stronger.
    Glyph of Wells: this increases the throughput of light well.
    Glyph of Power Word Shield: DONT PANIC. I know this is a holy guide. However, Pw:S is useful in the holy toolkit as well. This glyph makes shielding even more useful as it will refresh renew in yellow chakra in addition to proccing your mastery.

6) Gearing
    There is a simply priority I follow for holy, based strongly around our multistrike increasing passive and our most used spell, renew. However, each play style slightly changes the priority.

Int>>Spirit>>Multistrike>Haste>Crit=Versatility>Mastery
    A stat weight calculator has been posted below if you are interested in exploring stat weights.

First, it is important to note the strength of spirit on pieces of gear. At the current gear level, one can run with two spirit trinkets, the spirit enchant, and every spirit piece of gear, and still feel tight on mana for certain mythic encounters. I would strive for spirit on every piece of gear until you feel comfortable, then slowly start to cut back. At the current gear level, that time is not soon for many priests. Many top tier priests strive to get the most out of their gear and might value throughput stats more than spirit, but this is why they are top tier priests. They have an understanding of their mana regeneration and of the specific encounter, and know exactly how to manage their mana.
    Although our mastery is strong, it does not proc off of renew, thus putting it lowest in our priority of stats. The more you cast renew, the less valuable mastery becomes. Multistrike is extremely useful for holy, and haste most benefits renew.
    As you can only gem secondary stats, all gems/enchants should be some value of Multistrike, except for the weapon enchant, which can give you invaluable spirit.

7) Understanding chakra:

Red Chakra: This is your dps chakra, and what made holy priest dps almost viable during a few tiers. It increases the damage of your holy and shadow spells, and grants you with Holy Word: Chastise. It does damage and disorients someone. Starting a fight in red chakra and using your shadowfiend and smiting a few times can help in fights with a tight enrage timer.

Yellow Chakra: This is supposed to be your single target heal chakra in addition to dungeons/CMs. This chakra allows any single target healing spell, including binding heal, to refresh the duration of renew on the target. Glyph of binding heal also refreshes renew on the target, which is why that glyph is commonly seen. Holy Word: Serenity, is an instant cast single target healing spell that heals for a significant amount in addition to increasing the critical strike chance of any other priest spell on the target for a few seconds. It is your only single target burst heal that is really mana efficient.

Blue Chakra: This is your AOE chakra and the most important chakra state to be in for raiding, especially for beginning holy priests. If you are just starting out playing holy IN RAIDS, I would stay in this chakra state 100% of the time until you become comfortable with chakra dancing. Every healing spell in this state reduces the cooldown of circle of healing by one second. It decreases the cooldown of one of your best throughput spells. Unfortunately it comes with the downside of Holy Word: Sanctuary. This is a pretty lackluster spell that is the priest’s lame version of efflorescence or healing rain.

8) "Rotations" and tips
    I put rotations in quotes because healing does not have a set rotation. Healing is more fluid and reactive to both raid mechanics and player mistakes. However, there is a right way and a wrong way to go about healing for any class. A Holy priest mainly relies on renew and circle of healing for healing output. If I had to make a "rotation" for certain situations, this is what I would do.

AOE damage: In blue chakra, I would use circle of healing on cooldown. Other than that, I would play renew whack-a-mole with your raid and use your 90 talent when enough of the raid can make use of its healing. If there is ensured damage on the entire raid, hard casting Prayer of Mending is also viable. the BRF 2/4 piece is bound to change the priority PoM has in our toolkit.

Single target: These healing situations are trickier for a holy priest as there is no great mana efficient strategy for long periods of time. It is important to keep renew on the target, then IN ORDER cast Holy Word Serenity, then PW:S. Then cast heal, or flash heal if the tank will die without a quick bump in health. Single target healing is holy’s weakest area, and as a raid group the other healers should be able to compensate for your mediocre tank healing.

Many people reading this might look at these paragraphs and think to themselves...what about prayer of healing, flash heal? I am not ignoring these spells, but holy is currently in a position where it cannot afford the mana for these expensive heals more than a few times in each raid fight. It should be a very small percentage of your overall raid healing in a fight. Heal is a slow casting spell that is usually not worth the time unless no one is taking damage except for the tanks, they both have renew, and solace, PW:S, and holy word serenity are on cooldown.

Tips:
    - Keep renew on the tanks taking damage at all times.
    -I would save divine hymn for major raid damage, or when the raid leader specifically asks you to blow a cooldown. It also already includes a variant of the mage spell amplify magic, so this spell is very strong if stacked with another raid cooldown such as revival, healing tide, or tranquility.
    -A note on divine hymn: with the current model, your personal raid cooldown can range from 15-25% of your overall healing in a fight. This brings a skew to people who use their cooldown 1 vs 2 vs 3 times in a certain fight. HOWEVER, logs and healing meters are not everything. If you only cast divine hymn once in a fight, but save it for when your raid leader calls it or when there is sufficient raid damage going out, your raid can survive. Casting this spell randomly to bring up your healing is not how healing is supposed to be, and will not help you to kill bosses. I hope people will eventually realize this, and not include raid cooldowns in healing meters or parse lists. But I can only dream.

9) Chakra dancing

Chakra dancing would be what I consider to be an advanced playstyle of holy to get the most bang for your buck, and reach the upper hps and technical limit of the class. This would involve rotating between blue and yellow chakras to refresh tank renews, or bringing up people who took spike damage. It takes time and a general sense of the raid damage in the next ~10 seconds to efficient do this without wasting effective raid healing in your blue chakra state.
    Staying nearly permanently in yellow chakra, commonly known as “Jhaz-holy” or Jhazrun healing also is frequently talked about. This is named after the guild Paragon’s holy priest, arguably the best priest in the world right now. This is where you save your GCDs on renew by using direct heals on all of the raid members. This requires glyph of binding heal, glyph of power word shield, and takes an insane amount of concentration and practice. If this is not done perfectly, it will result in an HPS loss. This is also why I enjoy playing holy, as you can make healing as complicated as you want it to be. There is a giant ceiling to skilled holy priests that is not seen in many different healing or dps specs. This takes loads of practice and concentration, and the majority of people I've seen who try this method cannot pull it off.

10) Logs
    I have also included a few of my logs from highmaul. These are in no way a perfect parse, as there is always room for improvement, but it can show the general breakdown of my healing on fights. I included these to give a baseline on the percentage of each spell in a typical fight.
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ling&source=18 (Mythic Kargath)
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ling&source=19 (Heroic Imp)

11) Conclusion
    I hope you enjoyed my guide, and congratulations for reading the entire thing! I really enjoy this spec, and hope that it will gain some more popularity with time. A big thank you to Luckycharms45 and Jkinger for editing and giving me some initial feedback! If you have any questions or want to pick my brain about priest things I play an Alliance panda named Tomali on Kel'Thuzad!
    Last edited by Tomali; 2015-01-15 at 10:09 PM. Reason: thank you for the feedback!

Deleted
    I think you need to format this better, huge walls of text for each category. You should look at others class guide posts on the forum and be inspired from them, because I myself and I'm sure many others do not find reading a huge text post engaging. Add images, formatting, etc.

It's definitely a huge wall of text, but I havn't seen a guide covering the basic aspects of the spec anywhere. People just assume everyone knows what is going on, and to be frank many people just don't. This is especially true for a spec that is completely new and largely underused. From the groups I've been in, people make the spec more difficult than it needs to be and their HPS suffers.

My reasoning for versatility over mastery because renew counts for ~30% of your healing, and the majority of your GCDs. The mastery doesn't help this at all. The slight upgrade to all of your healing from the versatility is a lot stronger than a hot from ~70% of your heals. However, in highmaul the gear choices we have makes this a nonissue. Ilv is still ilv.

When I have time I want to try reformatting this so it is an easier read, but thought it was still worth posting as there isn't a decent guide out there yet.

One thing to note about the Binding Heal/Renew refresh playstyle is it is easier to understand if you explain that it plays something similar to Resto Shamans and their Healing Wave spam.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Ctrl + F for "then IN ORDER cast Holy Word Serenity, then HW:S". I know you mean PW:S but it needs to be changed.

Should mention that stat priority varies with playstyle. In particular Chakra: Serenity is often seen as MS > Haste > Crit=Mastery > Vers. I've even seen mastery listed as being worth marginally more than crit - I have no seen this debunked.
    May be worth mentioning actual values of each stat (1.1, 0.9 etc.), it does vary depending on gear and spells cast so maybe even linking to a calculating spreadsheet is worthwhile.

Maybe a little more on the power of serendipity and its uses. I notice you mention there isn't much place for flash heal, I can promise you that all spells have there place. All through Mythic progression I was using Flash, BH, Heal and PoH it while sitting in Chakra: Serenity.

Should probably mention the benefit of being able to place lightwell in one area, then move away. Enables automatic/manual lightwell to heal where you otherwise couldn't (I found it particularly helpful on twins where the raid can be split up). Additionally the glyph which makes lightwell clickable is incredibly strong when used correctly should be mentioned - although its not often a requirement except for when truly pushing the limits of gear. If the entire raid clicks lightwell at the same time the HoT can be buffed through PI, Int pot, and/or troll racial (and other personal buffs, trinkets for example) to boost the throughput of it as the HoT is updated dynamically. Clickable lightwell is off the GCD and doesn't interrupt casting etc.

Remove the non-sense about being a top parser on logs. Its silly and unneeded for several reasons:
    - Your parses in heroic mode do not give this guide credibility. Let the guide earn its own merit and speak for itself.
    - parse % varies by strat, skill of other healers in the raid, gear of absorb healers, how many healers in your raid etc. We took a lot of healers this week to gear them, naturally our parses are lower. Doesn't mean we're worse healers though.
    - parse % doesn't mean much when there are 10 Holy priests publishing logs.

Overall your guide is pretty solid, well done. Its a decent place for people to come and get started. The formatting is fine, I wouldn't worry about the formatting so much on a forum - instead focus on the content.

Edit: mods please sticky this thread.
    Last edited by appro; 2015-01-08 at 03:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by appro View Post
    May be worth mentioning actual values of each stat (1.1, 0.9 etc.), it does vary depending on gear and spells cast so maybe even linking to a calculating spreadsheet is worthwhile.
    Casket! (EDIT: Now directs to thread where link to up-to-date spreadsheet is kept, so that I don't have to change the link here).

My stat weight calculator for Holy can be downloaded from the link above. It's nowhere near as refined as my calculator for Discipline, and it shares its superficial treatment of Haste for HPET stat weights, but it should be sufficient for the remainder of the stat weights (excluding Spirit, which isn't analysed). It breaks the healing composition into Power Word: Shield (a_PW:S), spells that benefit from Mastery (a_N) and heal over time effects (a_HoT). As with the Discipline calculator, these three quantities must be the pre-secondary healing proportions.

Regarding Critical Strike, Mastery and Versatility, it should indeed be Critical Strike > Versatility as App said, and Mastery may sit anywhere from being potentially more valuable than Multistrike , if no heal over time effects are used (EDIT: Technically it can, if you have lots of Multistrike and very little Mastery, but overall you'd still want more Multistrike rating than Mastery rating), to being worse than Versatility, if a large proportion of healing comes from heal over time effects. For instance, if 25% of pre-secondary healing comes from heal over time effects and the remainder comes from spells that produce Echo of Light, and considering the gear most Holy Priests seem to be running with at this point, it comes in as Critical Strike > Mastery = Versatility.
    Last edited by Myllior; 2015-02-07 at 12:40 AM.
    Oh yeah, look at it go! Roll out the barrel; feel it in your bones!
    6.2 Healing Priest Spreadsheets; Legion Holy Priest Rotation Calculator (WiP)

Quote Originally Posted by Myllior View Post
    Casket!

My stat weight calculator for Holy can be downloaded from the link above. It's nowhere near as refined as my calculator for Discipline, and it shares its superficial treatment of Haste for HPET stat weights, but it should be sufficient for the remainder of the stat weights (excluding Spirit, which isn't analysed). It breaks the healing composition into Power Word: Shield (a_PW:S), spells that benefit from Mastery (a_N) and heal over time effects (a_HoT). As with the Discipline calculator, these three quantities must be the pre-secondary healing proportions.

Regarding Critical Strike, Mastery and Versatility, it should indeed be Critical Strike > Versatility as App said, and Mastery may sit anywhere from being potentially more valuable than Multistrike, if no heal over time effects are used, to being worse than Versatility, if a large proportion of healing comes from heal over time effects. For instance, if 25% of pre-secondary healing comes from heal over time effects and the remainder comes from spells that produce Echo of Light, and considering the gear most Holy Priests seem to be running with at this point, it comes in as Critical Strike > Mastery = Versatility.
    Yay spreadsheets!

Oh, and while it's probably insignificant, would you consider adding in Mastery ticks for Renew's initial heal?
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

It is already included; if you look at cell AB18 (the heal amount for Renew's initial heal) there's a factor (1+$D$6), and this accounts for Echo of Light.
    Oh yeah, look at it go! Roll out the barrel; feel it in your bones!
    6.2 Healing Priest Spreadsheets; Legion Holy Priest Rotation Calculator (WiP)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by appro View Post
    Overall your guide is pretty solid, well done. Its a decent place for people to come and get started. The formatting is fine, I wouldn't worry about the formatting so much on a forum - instead focus on the content.
    Agreed. Good read for people who are new to the class/specc.

+1 for sticky

A small note about L90.
    DS has great synergy with SoL, so it's not entirely horrible. In stacked situations it'll bump the SoL procs from ~2.5 per minute to ~5 per minute. This compensates for the lackluster heal of DS, reduces RNG of SoL procs by considerable amount, and arguably has better bearing on your mana than Solace. Last part is of course still tied to RNG and damage patterns, so YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Myllior View Post
    It is already included; if you look at cell AB18 (the heal amount for Renew's initial heal) there's a factor (1+$D$6), and this accounts for Echo of Light.
    Oh, I must have missed it, got to take a closer look.

Btw, the health % sitting at the right is probably for ToF right?

Edit again: Oh, its for CoP.
    Last edited by PosPosPos; 2015-01-08 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiyasa View Post
    Agreed. Good read for people who are new to the class/specc.

+1 for sticky
    while i do agree with all of the above the formatting is still something to look at. You want users to read your guide not to ignore most of it and ask silly questions which they could have found in your guide.

@PosPosPos, you actually did not give any grumpy feedback on this today? are you feeling well?

Back on topic though Sticky please.

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    The pre-WotLK Mind Flay animation. 2nd biggest reason for rolling a Priest, biggest obviously being Shadowform. Anyone who uses Glyph of Shadow should reroll Hunter, filthy blasphemers.

I'm not sure why you haven't included hard-casting Prayer of Mending in your AoE healing rotation. According to your spreadsheet, it does almost the exact same Healing/sec as Renew, but is 38% less mana efficient (if my maths are correct).

Now look at your logs.

In the first log you posted, across all boss fights your renew overheal was 32.75%, and your PoM (from WoM I assume) overheal was 3.92%. Factor that into your spread sheet, and suddenly Renew is giving you about 30% less effective healing/sec than PoM, and is only slightly more mana efficient. Both are effectively a single GCD, so neither gets you CoH's faster through blue chakra.

Unless I'm missing something huge, this seems to be a clear argument in favor of hard-casting PoM on CD (assuming there will be somewhat steady raid damage going out in the next 30 seconds).
    Last edited by Necessarily; 2015-01-08 at 07:24 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Succath View Post
    while i do agree with all of the above the formatting is still something to look at. You want users to read your guide not to ignore most of it and ask silly questions which they could have found in your guide.

@PosPosPos, you actually did not give any grumpy feedback on this today? are you feeling well?

Back on topic though Sticky please.
    What can I say? People tend to focus on the negative aspects of what I say rather than see both sides of the coin.

If you are running with surge of light, it is worth noting that surge of light can proc from smite. For extreme mana conservation, you can "go red", smite the boss (for free), and use your free flash heals to contribute a bit of healing.

Surge of light will never bring the efficiency of solace for mana regeneration or healing. I could see how it could increase throughput once our mana regeneration is in a good place. Most play concerning surge of light should be saved for people who could already write a guide on holy priests imo.

My goal was to make a guide giving safe strategy and advice to someone who might want to respec or completely reroll a class. I will leave it to other threads to debate specific intricacies of the spec.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomali View Post
    Surge of light will never bring the efficiency of solace for mana regeneration or healing. I could see how it could increase throughput once our mana regeneration is in a good place. Most play concerning surge of light should be saved for people who could already write a guide on holy priests imo.

My goal was to make a guide giving safe strategy and advice to someone who might want to respec or completely reroll a class. I will leave it to other threads to debate specific intricacies of the spec.
    Actually, I'd prefer it if we could use the guide threads to discuss and theorycraft intricacies, and then update the main post as needed to reflect lessons learned

It's also quite common for these threads to turn into a 'Fix my Log' Q&A system, and I think that's appropriate as well.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by deathdkmaxtor View Post
    priority stats?

6) Gearing
    There is a simply priority I follow for holy, based strongly around our multistrike increasing passive and our most used spell, renew. However, each play style slightly changes the priority.

Int>>Spirit>>Multistrike>Haste>Crit=Versatility>Mastery
    A stat weight calculator has been posted below if you are interested in exploring stat weights.
    Guess you can't read dude. Though like I said, its not particularly appealing to read this guide in its current state. It doesn't hurt to format it.

Uh...why did the Holy Discussion thread get locked in favor of keeping this one open?

This thread is a guide, not a discussion thread. The other two specs have discussion threads, why is Holy's getting locked?