Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    how is this no where in news?

whats the point of posting about this?
    if you give a real opinion you just get infracted

Remember those 200 Nigerian girls that got kidnapped. Probably not, most of the world doesn't. They were sold as brides (sex slaves) for about $12.50. The priorities of the worlds media organizations is completely f'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerodynamic View Post
    Remember those 200 Nigerian girls that got kidnapped. Probably not, most of the world doesn't. They were sold as brides (sex slaves) for about $12.50. The priorities of the worlds media organizations is completely f'd.
    Don't know where you live, but that was front page news here in the US for several weeks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    how is this no where in news?
    I'm not sure why nobody seems to care about it. I understand bad thigns happen there all the time, but this is a human catastrophe in this day and age, and nobody is even talking about it.
    You're a towel.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    When are you going to enlist to put your life at risk defending those human rights? Oh, I forgot you're too busy posting on Internet forums being a SJW to actually do anything yourself.
    Do you support world peace? When are you going to enlist to enforce it?
    Do you support taking care of the homeless? Why aren't you giving away your home to them and all your resources?
    Do you like X? Then why haven't you died for it?

Give me a break with those arguments, there's different levels of support. Even if he enlisted to do something, as long as his government did nothing, he could still do nothing. If the state itself can't take care of its citizens and your state isn't helping them, you, as one person, can't do shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Saladbar View Post
    Don't know where you live, but that was front page news here in the US for several weeks.
    What was on the front page of the news...back in April.. was the initial kidnapping. Social media warriors blew it up for about a month or so and media covered it. The fact that they still have not been found, and have been converted to "islam" and sold as child brides(sex slaves) never made front page news at any US media outlet as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    Its kind of sad that a thread about 11 people being murdered is so commented on just because it happened to be about cartoonists and things like that, and it seems people could not care less about this entire village being wiped out by some maniacs.
    The France thing is something unusual to happen in europe, whereas things like this unfortunately happen almost on a daily basis in 3rd world countries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    The France thing is something unusual to happen in europe, whereas things like this unfortunately happen almost on a daily basis in 3rd world countries.
    2000 people possibly being killed is not normal, even in a third world country.
    You're a towel.

Deleted
    Oh god this is horrible...

Edit : I'm kinda mad at myself for not feeling that much for them while having been devastated for the past few days at what happened to Charlie Hebdo.
    There's probably an english word for it but in french we call it "proximity law" or "death to kilometer", well that's a good example of it...
    Last edited by mmoceb381e0edb; 2015-01-11 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Its hard to tell the difference between before and after. It kind of looks they were having having a yard sale in the 2nd town picture. I also notice the townsfolk are hard at work standing around (the usual). Not one of them is cleaning up the mess.

Infracted
    Infracted? For what? He didnt take the internet seriously enough? Hell ban me too

2000 people possibly being killed is not normal, even in a third world country.
    There are some 3rd world countries that are pretty much in a constant state of war/conflict, and lots of innocent civilians die as a result. We don't see that in Europe, so what we're talking about is still more "normal" in comparision. If we had that in Europe then the shock factor would be far less for any one individual incident.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziphr View Post
    Infracted? For what? He didnt take the internet seriously enough? Hell ban me too
    See literally 2 posts below someone makes a joke about the nigerian prince emails. It's funny.
    This on the other hand is just plain unnecessary bashing people that just got their life wreaked.

I understand the impact that the attacks in Paris had. It was a direct attempt to silence criticism. But the serious lack of attention being given to a vastly more terrifying turn of events in Nigeria is disturbing. We are potentially talking about thousands of lives ended, villages destroyed. And yet, because they are poor and a third world country we hear so little about it. Paris was about silencing a critical voice. The poor souls lost in Nigeria never had a voice to begin with.
    I see a lot of comments being thrown out that say it's just expected of the area, and sentiments of that nature. Not to this degree. As with so many relevant social issues, I expected there to be a pretty active thread about this on MMOC, but I had to actually search for it. This whole story is just buried in the aftermath Paris. Is it because we can't fix this?
    We can't make a big production out of this, so we don't seem to want to address it at all. But there are people there that are just trying to live their lives. And I am not numb to that loss. I think about my own children, and what I would do facing similar circumstances...and I have no answers.

10+ Year Old Account
    The shitty thing is, after this attack, another village was burned, more of a small settlement, and at least 12 people, civilians, were murdered in cold blood, with several more missing. And I still don't think anybody cares lol.
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    The shitty thing is, after this attack, another village was burned, more of a small settlement, and at least 12 people, civilians, were murdered in cold blood, with several more missing. And I still don't think anybody cares lol.
    It can be summed up using a phrase from one of my favourite movies (Blood Diamond): TIA
    It means "This is Africa", which in the context of the movie means "no on cares".

This is largely true in real life as well. Everyone has grown up seeing, reading or hearing stories about violence and general chaos in Africa. At some point you either decide to do something about it or you just block it out of your mind. The vast majority chooses the 2nd option.

Whenever I read something about how XXX amount of people have been slaughtered somewhere in Africa due to XXX reason, I just go "oh", turn the page and start reading something else. It's just not on my mind, I don't care about it anymore.

Well, the 2000 turned out to actually be 150 at most. The US has like 300 homicides per week. Not the same thing, and 150 is still horrible, but tough to get too worked up over it.