Windows "choppy" after reinstalling on new hard drive

I've just replaced my 9 year old hard drive with a brand new one and installed windows on it, but now Windows seems to be having issues - quite often when I try to do something simple like running a program or accessing some feature it "pauses", becomming completely unresponsive for a few seconds. Basically it's like tiny freezes.

Windows also seems to be generally slower than before as well.

Could a problem with the new hard drive be causing that, or just a bad windows install perhaps?
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2015-01-09 at 04:52 AM.

How old is the system? is it 8 years old as well?

Possible causes:
    Bad install
    Bad memory
    bad CPU
    bad MoBo
    New HDD is bad from factory
    you forgot to set the virtual memory.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which hdd is this? Please tell me you didn't buy one of those green drives for use as an os drive.

It's a Seagate Barracuda 1TB.

set your Virtual memory to Initial 20K and max at 30K

Control panel> system> Advanced system setting> advance tab> performance ( setting )> Advanced tab> Virtual memory ( change )
    uncheck automatic, use custom size, do not check System manage size or No paging file.

often times the issue is just a lack of Virt memory. try that first

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    also make sure BIOS is set to AHCI. Might also be wise to check to see if there is a BIOS update for your motherboard.

Is the rest of your computer 9+ years old also? That could be an issue too.

What version of Windows? You might want to install Intel chipset drivers directly, the versions included with Windows and Windows Update often are not the latest/best:
    Intel® Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility) https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...?DwnldID=20775

I also use the Driver Booster (free version) utility from IOBit to update drivers. If you don't like their nag to buy the pro verison, you can uninstall it after updating your drivers. http://www.iobit.com/driver-booster.php
    Last edited by Vermicious; 2015-01-09 at 03:35 PM.

The rest of the components are of various ages.

I will point out again that everything was fine before the new hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by krunksmash View Post
    set your Virtual memory to Initial 20K and max at 30K
    It was set to 2-4k. I set it to 20k+ and it hasn't made any difference.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post

It was set to 2-4k. I set it to 20k+ and it hasn't made any difference.
    and it isnt going to.

did you do a fresh install? if so, did you install the correct chipset drivers?

as far as your page file let windows manage it, your not using a ssd so there is no need to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    did you do a fresh install? if so, did you install the correct chipset drivers?
    It's got exactly the same stuff as the old hard drive has, and when I swap the old one back in Windows works just fine.

But could these mini pauses even be caused by a dodgy hard drive? (for example I might be scrolling through a list of files and windows will just become unresponsive for several seconds. Or I might open Outlook and it will freeze up momentarily). These problems only occur within Windows. Programs and games are unaffected.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2015-01-10 at 02:24 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    How did you clone your old HD?

I hope you did reinstall windows when you the new hard drive?
    Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.7GHz | MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G x2 in SLI | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard
    8 GB of Kingston HyperX DDR3 | Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB
    2x Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB + Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSDs (three-way raid 0)
    Cooler Master HAF 912 plus case | Corsair AX1200 power supply | Thermaltake NiC C5 Untouchable CPU cooler
    Asus PG278Q ROG SWIFT (1440p @ 144 Hz, GSync + 3D vision)

10+ Year Old Account
    always do reinstalls never clone, more often than not it fucks up something
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup