Deleted

Chain heal + glyph of riptide + high tide - looking for some ideas

Hello everybody,
    I'm currently trying to solve pretty complicated problem. Here is the thing:

1a) Using glyph of riptide and high tide. Does that mean that when i have riptide active on 6 targets (CH should bounce to 4targets + 2 targets from high tide) my CH will jump to all of them, no matter how far apart they are ? Do they ALL have to be in my range or just one of them and CH will then bounce to another riptided target in range from the first target ?

1b) Using high tide. For example I have riptide on 2 targets. CH should jump to 4 and HT to 2 more riptided. How does this one works ? Will it jump to 4 targets + 2 riptided or 2 and 2 riptided. Sorry for messy examples.

2) Using HT. Do i need glyph of chaining to have long enough range (for CH to reach my riptided targets) ?

I know it might look like rly stupid question to ask I just want to be sure about it
    Thanks (im not native so please be understanding )

1a) As far as I know it has always been that only the first target needs to be in your range if that was the question. In addition if you have 6 riptides it will not hit all 6 guranteed but only 2 of them.

1b) It jumps to 4 Targets randomly and targets 2 extra targets with riptide on them meaning you can target the last two hits by having exactly two riptides up, IF they are inrange of the 4th target that got hit by the chainheal.

2) It strongly depends on how far away they stand, but as it barely happens that people stand that far appart from each other in Highmaul (actually I could only think of Imperator P4) there is usually no point in using the glyph.

Not 100% sure about these answers but I think that is the way it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Pur1tas View Post
    1a)
    1b) It jumps to 4 Targets randomly and targets 2 extra targets with riptide on them meaning you can target the last two hits by having exactly two riptides up, IF they are inrange of the 4th target that got hit by the chainheal.

Chainheal jumps are not randomly.
    AFAIK Chainheal ist the only smarrt Heal left in game.

The Jump from the targetet player to the most injured player and after to the next most injured player in range and so on.

Until it jumped 4 times. after that it will jump to the Riptided ones if they are in range.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordog View Post
    Chainheal jumps are not randomly.
    AFAIK Chainheal ist the only smarrt Heal left in game.

The Jump from the targetet player to the most injured player and after to the next most injured player in range and so on.

Until it jumped 4 times. after that it will jump to the Riptided ones if they are in range.
    You are right sorry worded that wrong

Even though I think the Monk talent heal thingy is also a smart heal

While we are talking about High tide can anyone tell me what happens if I do not have a riptide up? or only 1? Will chainheal still hit two extra targets or will it only hit the usual 4 ?
    Last edited by Pur1tas; 2015-01-09 at 12:23 PM.

Deleted
    It needs to bounce to two extra targets with riptide on them, and you should have atleast 3 up so your main target has it as well.
    If you don't have a primary target riptide up you won't get the 25% healing boost and if it has no riptided targets to bounce to it will not heal two extra targets and just act like a normal chain heal.

Deleted
    I did some testing of this a couple of weeks ago and these were my findings.

Chain Heal:
    * It will jump up to 4 times picking the most injured target within 10 yards of the previous target.
    * It can never jump to the same target twice.
    * If no target can be found, it stops jumping.

High Tide Talent:
    * It will do two additional jumps with a max range of 25 yards from the previous target of each jump.
    * This is done after the initial ~4 jumps.
    * The targets must have Riptide running.
    * It still can't jump to the same target twice.

Glyph of Chaining:
    * It will only double the distance of the first set of jumps (to 20 yards).
    * It will not have any effect on the High Tide jumps.
    Last edited by mmoc3faa6b73ad; 2015-01-09 at 04:52 PM.

Glad for this thread, I've been wondering much the same things.
    What I'm struggling with is how to best know which targets should get Riptide on them so as to maximise High Tide. I don't really have the multitasking skill to watch where everyone is standing in the fight and watch health bars. I know I can set up Vuhdu to do show clusters, but Riptides under High Tide is more a proactive thing where you prep the raid for damage by laying out RTs strategically so when you do Chain you hit the most targets, and cluster settings are more reactive. But I shouldn't need to rely on a component of an addon, so what's the intended set up of this ability/talent combo (ie in an addon-free environment - how do you manage it)?

In theory it sounds like Cloudburst is the better talent as it heals raid-wide, but it hits like a spritz of water on a third degree burn, that is, barely noticeable in a raid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartho View Post
    "Shaman are complaining again guys, shall we look at them a bit more closely? Maybe there's some truth in what these people are saying...."

"Meh, let's just buff chain heal and healing rain then go have some lunch."

"Okey dokey!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sheeana View Post
    High Tide Talent:
    * It will do two additional jumps with a max range of 25 yards from the previous target of each jump.
    does this mean if CH hits your riptide targets before it gets to 4, it won't jump back to them? that seems counterproductive since i usually cast riptide on the lowest health players, so they are most likely to get the early jumps.

is this a talent that only works well with the glyph of riptide?

Quote Originally Posted by marklar View Post
    does this mean if CH hits your riptide targets before it gets to 4, it won't jump back to them? that seems counterproductive since i usually cast riptide on the lowest health players, so they are most likely to get the early jumps.

is this a talent that only works well with the glyph of riptide?
    Not quite sure what you're asking, but a CH won't bounce to the same player twice.

But I too tend to RT low health targets, not use RT to set up High Tide CH spreads. Which strikes me as really gimmicky. RT glyph probably makes it easier to manage, or possibly Echo.
    "Shaman are complaining again guys, shall we look at them a bit more closely? Maybe there's some truth in what these people are saying...."

"Okey dokey!"

You are able to have three riptides rolling thanks to the perk (lower CD), but sometimes you can miss a few seconds and therefore can't maintain the three HoTs.

So, problem is, if CH chooses one of your RT-targets as a "regular" target, it would cross my mind that you'll loose one jump because the extra jump of High Tides (with RT on it) had been occupied. Maybe with the talent, RT-targets doesn't count towards the initial jumpcounter?

P.S.: I always thought CH would be semismart als all prior smartheals: it would jump to an injured target in range but isn't destined to choose the mostinjured.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheeana View Post
    I did some testing of this a couple of weeks ago and these were my findings.

Chain Heal:
    * It will jump up to 4 times picking the most injured target within 10 yards of the previous target.
    * It can never jump to the same target twice.

High Tide Talent:

Glyph of Chaining:
    * It will only double the distance of the first set of jumps (to 20 yards).
    * It will not have any effect on the High Tide jumps.
    Suppose I had High Tide and Glyph of Riptide and everyone in my party had Riptides rolling, a Chain Heal would jump to all of them provided a 25 yd radius? Thus, would this then make Glyph of Chaining useless since High Tide adds distance?

I still think this is a stupid talent. Just remove the Riptide requirement or something!

If forces you to take the glyph with in turn makes your dreanor perk obsolete.......

+10 to blizzard on this one =/

Quote Originally Posted by Verrine View Post
    Suppose I had High Tide and Glyph of Riptide and everyone in my party had Riptides rolling, a Chain Heal would jump to all of them provided a 25 yd radius? Thus, would this then make Glyph of Chaining useless since High Tide adds distance?
    No, chain heal can hit a maximum of six targets. In addition to the initial target, up to three can be from the normal CH jump mechanics (12.5 yards from previous jump, 25 if glyphed). Then the rest, up to six in total, can be filled with new riptide targets (that didn't receive CH) within 30 yards of the player you casted CH on.

So what are people finding are good best practices for maximising High Tide?

"Okey dokey!"

Deleted
    specc echo and solve your problems. even without high tide i love echo.

Echo is too random and awkward. If it immediately finished the CD of RT, UL, or Purify that would be a lot smoother, but if Echo procs when any of those are on CD then you've just added another layer of micromanagement and bar watching.

"Okey dokey!"

I always suggest going for riptide glyph, as it barely heals anything anyways and removing the cd give you the possibility to have it running on like 18 targets (?????) at once making sure your chainheal will always hit the full 6 targets not wasting a single jump. In addition it grants you 100% uptime on tidal waves and makes sure your chainheal always hits hard(er) than without riptides up. This might be a playstyle favour by me but I really think this is the way to go. I used to prehot everyone in raid but now I just prehot once like 20 seconds before pull in order to proc weapon and trinkets, so the proc at a more usefull time during the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by hamish015 View Post
    If forces you to take the glyph with in turn makes your dreanor perk obsolete.......
    Glyph or echo, or accept that you won't always get two extra targets. Also remember that High Tide gives Chain Heal full effect on every targets, making it useful even when you don't get any extra bounces.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockeye View Post
    So what are people finding are good best practices for maximising High Tide?
    Spec it and forget about it. I don't think there's really any way of maximizing it that's actually worthwhile. One thing you can do is to prioritize Riptide on one tank and the ranged people, then cast Chain Heal on the tank. That way you have an initial target with Riptide, non-Riptide targets nearby (melee DPS), then additional targets a little further away with Riptide. It's not guaranteed to work if people move around, though, and the extra healing you get probably isn't worth restricting who you Riptide.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockeye View Post
    Echo is too random and awkward. If it immediately finished the CD of RT, UL, or Purify that would be a lot smoother, but if Echo procs when any of those are on CD then you've just added another layer of micromanagement and bar watching.
    Echo is random, but I wouldn't call it too random. It procs all the time and Riptide has a short cooldown. And the bar watching is only a problem if you've got a clumsy UI. I've got WeakAuras set up to display a glowy effect around the Riptide and Purify icons whenever EotE is up. So when I see those coming off cooldown, I also see that EotE is up and immediately know if I can cast the spell once or twice. The only thing that's particularly random is when EotE procs again immediately and you get to cast three or four Riptides in a row.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.