Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

How to greet a woman?

This may seem like an easy question, but im pretty stumped. Long story short, girl i used to go out with invited me to her birthday party and her mum wants to meet me. Now if the mum offers no hints how do i greet her? Handshake seems pretty awkward for a woman, hug seems inappropriate since i dont know her, kiss her on the cheek and shes gonna be like wtf is this guy doing or be impressed by the gesture but you never know.

What would you do? I want to be prepared incase im introduced from my friend or i start talking to her and she says "im x's mum".
    Last edited by Chunkyman; 2015-01-09 at 10:58 PM. Reason: typo

How about a slight bow and a greeting? That's what I do when meeting strangers that are older than me. Shake their hands if they offer it, obviously, but since they are older, they are supposed to go first (goes for women of equal age as well). That's roughly what savoir-vivre dictates, I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Fuck with me, bitch."
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    How about a slight bow and a greeting? That's what I do when meeting strangers that are older than me. Shake their hands if they offer it, obviously, but since they are older, they are supposed to go first (goes for women of equal age as well). That's roughly what savoir-vivre dictates, I believe.
    I want to kind of take the control of the situation really and show confidence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkyman View Post
    If you are in a western culture you walk up to her and you say "You must be Mrs. so-and-so. My name is Chunkyman, nice to meet you". As you do this you extend your hand for a handshake.

It is not weird to shake hands with a woman. Not sure where you got that idea.

Start with

"Hi!"

and follow up with

"How are you doing?"

Nothing stopping you. Speak clearly and plainly, look her straight in the eye - probably what you do either way, but it is a show of confidence as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Start with

"Hi!"

and follow up with

"How are you doing?"
    Well duh lol i mean if i was talking to a man, say the father, i would greet and then offer a firm handshake.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, I wouldn't do this. It can make you appear nervous.

Just go there and act the way you act whenever you meet other people for the first time. Do not pretend to be someone else, but also don't fear the situation. Be confident in who you are.

I can't give you a better advice.

I'm not sure where you live, but here in Northern Europe, it's not awkward to shake hands with a woman when you meet them for the first time. I'd even consider it the polite thing to do when you don't already know her, a hug may be a bit too much, and not doing anything is a little empty.

Source: I've had my hand shaken countless times, by distant family members too.
    Best Zindai EU
    Quote Originally Posted by cqwrteur View Post
    I am not one person.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I cracked this after years of intense research.

"Hi".

"insert conversation related to similar interests"

"Handshake seems pretty awkward for a woman"

why? it shows you're matured a bit. it shows you have manners. handshake is never wrong with meeting somebody's parents.

Stood in the Fire ImEveryCliche's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Introduce yourself and shake her hand. If you aren't well known to a person, male or female, it is appropriate to shake their hand over a kiss/hug.

Say hello, nod respectfully at her, or a small bow, maybe a handshake

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Start with

"Hi!"

and follow up with

"How are you doing?"
    Hey... How you doin'

If that is who you really are, then go with it. If you are not an extrovert by nature, then don't pretend to be one to win favors. It is akin to lying, and won't earn you respect in the long run.

Perhaps the most important thing you can do in any situation is just be yourself and respectful towards others. In most cases, it will bring less trouble down the road that you will have to deal with.

10+ Year Old Account
    You walk up to them, make sure you are really close and press "A."

If she gives you the look just take her to the bathroom

What's wrong with "hello"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Say hello.
    aaaaaaaand thread over cya.