Thread: Undead Paladins

Page 1 of 16
... LastLast

Undead Paladins

I still don't understand why there are no undead paladins. They make more sense than tauren pally's despite the weak explanation in the jaina book. What would happen to a dead pally like uther? He surely wouldn't be a deathknight. Undead priests still wield the light in a different form. BE pallys are based on blood/ arcane.

So Why cant we make an undead pally?

10+ Year Old Account
    Tauren "pallys" are just sun druids. BE pallys are based on the Light.

Undead can channel the Light as priests with excruciating pain. A pally actually fills themselves up as a vessel for the Light, this would be way worse.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2015-01-10 at 05:45 AM.

An undead Paladin would simply be a fire Mage when trying to channel the light, as much as I would love to be one

Quote Originally Posted by Xs View Post
    An undead Paladin would simply be a fire Mage when trying to channel the light, as much as I would love to be one
    I guess I don't really understand this. IMO, A fire mage is nothing more than a dark shaman. A dark shaman commands the elements, it doesn't ask them to help. IMO this is a fire or ice mage. not sure how it relates to a pally and the light.

Mages use math for spells
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xs View Post
    A fire mage that aims at this own face.

Undead pally in naxx. Cant remember his name and too lazy to look it up. Blizz makes the lore, they can easily do this.
    Intel i9 9900K @ 5GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 @ 3600MHz 2x8GB | Asus Maximus XI Z390 | Asus RTX 3080 Ti OC | Corsair HX850 Platinum | Corsair H150i Pro CPU cooler | Acer Predator 32" 2560x1440 170MHz | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB m.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair K70 Rapidfire Keyboard | Corsair Virtuoso XT RGB Headphones | Corsair Crystal Series 570x RGB Case | Logitech G604 | Windows 11 Professional x64
    My Youtube Channel

15+ Year Old Account
    I personally have always liked the idea. That the light burns them would be even more interesting as a story hook to make them unique and interesting, given the history of flagellation by religious zealots. Accepting the pain as a cleansing fire and penance for their sins and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambushu View Post
    Undead pally in naxx. Cant remember his name and too lazy to look it up. Blizz makes the lore, they can easily do this.

Sir Zeliek.

And there are other undead paladins in Northrend.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambushu View Post
    agreed, there's no good reason why undead cant be pallys

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemuron View Post
    I guess I don't really understand this. IMO, A fire mage is nothing more than a dark shaman. A dark shaman commands the elements, it doesn't ask them to help. IMO this is a fire or ice mage. not sure how it relates to a pally and the light.
    Mages are not like dark shaman, a mage can summon and bind a elemental to help them, but a dark shaman enslaves that elemental and twists it into a corrupted, toxic form.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    I personally have always liked the idea. That the light burns them would be even more interesting as a story hook to make them unique and interesting, given the history of flagellation by religious zealots. Accepting the pain as a cleansing fire and penance for their sins and whatnot.

Sir Zeliek.

And there are other undead paladins in Northrend.
    He is forced to do everything he does and he wants to die. Not a good reason for undead paladins.

Deleted
    The Light can't be channelled by the Undead. The light hurts the undead. It's why Paladins existed in the first place- to battle the undead, because the Light burns the shit out of them. The fact that undead priests exist is a little lore-breaking, but they twisted the rules a little in an acceptable fashion. Undead paladins would turn into charcoal.

Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    Mages are not like dark shaman, a mage can summon and bind a elemental to help them, but a dark shaman enslaves that elemental and twists it into a corrupted, toxic form.

- - - Updated - - -

He is forced to do everything he does and he wants to die. Not a good reason for undead paladins.
    That is just his particular case. Just becaue he wants to die isnt justifiable evidence for "no good reason for UD paladins"
    Intel i9 9900K @ 5GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 @ 3600MHz 2x8GB | Asus Maximus XI Z390 | Asus RTX 3080 Ti OC | Corsair HX850 Platinum | Corsair H150i Pro CPU cooler | Acer Predator 32" 2560x1440 170MHz | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB m.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair K70 Rapidfire Keyboard | Corsair Virtuoso XT RGB Headphones | Corsair Crystal Series 570x RGB Case | Logitech G604 | Windows 11 Professional x64
    My Youtube Channel

Oh crap, let's not get on undead paladins again. I absolutely love paladins but there's not going to be undead paladins unless blizz goes all captain retcon on us.
    Just doesn't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by DFTR View Post
    The Light can't be channelled by the Undead. The light hurts the undead. It's why Paladins existed in the first place- to battle the undead, because the Light burns the shit out of them. The fact that undead priests exist is a little lore-breaking, but they twisted the rules a little in an acceptable fashion. Undead paladins would turn into charcoal.
    They could easily say that the undead found a spell that binds their soul to the light or something which in turn does no harm to them allowing them to be paladins. Im not a lore geek but you get the idea. It's twistable enough to allow for it.
    My Youtube Channel

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    His faith in the Light is also so strong that he retains the ability to weild it, even in undeath.

Like I said, a relatively small order of undead paladin zealots who retain the ability to wield the Light and believe that the pain it causes them is cleansing them of corruption, is way more interesting than most of the other paladins in the game right now, and would make for an interesting counterpoint to the pervasive shadow/sludge stuff with the Forsaken.

zeliek is one example. He is forced to do what he doesn't want to, but he is an undead pally, and he surely isn't the only one.

As far as mages and dark shammys. The idea I struggle with is.... They both are dealing with the elements (excluding arcane mages). Shammys ask the elements to help them. Dark shammys command the elements and elementals, twisting them to do their will. I don't see how fire and ice mages differ from that. They aren't in harmony with the elements. They simply command them.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I still don't understand why there are no undead paladins. They make more sense than tauren pally's despite the weak explanation in the jaina book. What would happen to a dead pally like uther? He surely wouldn't be a deathknight. Undead priests still wield the light in a different form. BE pallys are based on blood/ arcane.

So Why cant we make an undead pally?
    Tauren are Sunwalkers, aka Sundruids, they use Paladin spells for ingame mechanics.
    Undead Priests Shadowmend mostly. Using Shadow Magic to heal. very few use Holy as it is excruciating.
    BE pallys isn't based on Blood or Arcane, it used to be Light syphoned from a Naa'ru and then they became regular light users from Sunwell in TBC onward.

Undead Paladin goes against so many fantasy tropes and I would say Blizzard probably wishes they never added Sir Zeliek in Naxx since it is the one thing you people can grasp onto to justify "undead pallies" but the many negative points would make the lore seem horribly fucking shit.

leaving Zeliek as the exception and not the rule is the best move on Blizzards part.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DFTR View Post
    It's why Paladins existed in the first place- to battle the undead
    No, it isn't.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    zeliek is one example. He is forced to do what he doesn't want to, but he is an undead pally, and he surely isn't the only one.

As far as mages and dark shammys. The idea I struggle with is.... They both are dealing with the elements (excluding arcane mages). Shammys ask the elements to help them. Dark shammys command the elements and elementals, twisting them to do their will. I don't see how fire and ice mages differ from that. They aren't in harmony with the elements. They simply command them.
    Through Study instead of faith.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mages wield the elements like a tool. It's no different than starting a camp fire.

Dark shaman corrupt the elements and twist them into toxic forms.