Deleted

How to stop a rattling CPU fan

Hello. I believe my CPU fan is causing this pretty loud rattling from the inside of my PC. Right now I've go something wedged under the PC in order to tip it upwards as that lessens the noise, so presumably it's loose and falling forward, or something.

Does anyone have any advice? Thank you.

The bearing is probably broken, so unless you know how to fix a loose bearing you might as well replace it. And then take the old fan apart so you can see how it works.

Your gonna want to replace it before the fan fails completely and you find out the hard way(system overheats and BSOD's).

What cooler is it?
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

I had a similar issue but it solved itself. Came back after Christmas as I spent a week away so the computer was freezing cold, but once it warmed up the problem went away.

I appreciate that isn't a solution for you necessarily
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    Your gonna want to replace it before the fan fails completely and you find out the hard way(system overheats and BSOD's).

What cooler is it?
    I could be wrong but I'm almost certain it's a coolermaster hyper 212 evo. I've only built one PC and that was with help, so hearing I have to replace it isn't the greatest news ever. Could I order a new one and just take off the actual fan (the black bit) and stick it onto the existing one?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg

Yes, you can just buy a new fan and stick in that in its place. Just make sure it has the right connector so you can connect it into your motherboard for the sensor to know auto adjust itself easier.

There is a "quick" fix that extends its life span slightly, it will start rattling again but you can do this to extend the life of the fan.
    On pretty much every fan I've had if you remove the label sticker on the fan (the one that reads cooler master there on black) under it is a small black round cap. You remove the cap with something sharp (like boxcutter knife). Then you slightly spray some lubricating oil in there (I've used CRC gun care oil, something like this http://www.motoelectrical.co.uk/uplo...re_150ml_1.jpg ). Spin it with your hand slightly, and just add a bit more again. Spin, put the cap back on, put on the sticker if you feel like it and if it even sticks.
    Should reduce the rattling significantly. You can do that multiple times, but it will start rattling again. But I mainly done it with case fans so be more careful around actual electric parts.

So in clarification, you can just buy a new fan. You dont need to get the rest of the cooler. And fans aren't that expensive.
    Last edited by Sonicator; 2015-01-10 at 11:51 AM. Reason: clarification
    Fear makes people weak. Fear is my friend.
    Twitch.tv

Yes, replacing with with another 120MM PWM 4-pin fan would be the best option, assuming you got money for it at the moment otherwise Sonic's solution might help it last a bit longer thought I wouldn't expect too much.

Something like this or this or this or this are just a few options :P
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Deleted
    Thanks for the help everyone, much appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Would this do? http://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCTIC-F12-S...ds=Cooling+Fan

Yeah, arctic cooling fans are awesome, basically silent.

For you consideration, I prefer a 4 pin PWM fan for the CPU(these change their speed automatically) and it is also not an addon item:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-F12-P...productDetails