Thoughts on Gear from Highmaul (Open Discussion, curious of all Opinions)

Hello, my name is Reignofpain!

I raid for Alliance Warriors (As Raid Leader) and have been looking at the Raid Gear from Highmaul, and been noticing since before release just how bad most of it is. So my question to all other raiders, what are your thoughts on the gear??

My Opinion:

It seems that Highmaul Gear at the least, has 3-6 pieces of gear that go well with any given class/spec (not including semi-good pieces), and then there's another 3-4 semi-good pieces for any given class/spec. However, looking at Blackrock Foundry Gear, it seems you should manage at least a good 8-10 pieces with good stats, not including tier gear. With crafted gear, you should be able to put together 3 more items that go incredibly well with these 10+ pieces. Giving you on average 3-4 pieces of gear that just lack preferable stats.

That all said, my personal thoughts on solving this issue:

1) Bring back Reforging, as much as this was given the thought of being unbalanced, at least then people were able to more often than not maximize their DPS, heals, or even be a more efficient tank.
    2) Create a new Crafted Item for the following:
    a) Rerolls stats on 620-636 item level plate armor/weapons. Materials Needed: 20 Truesteel Ingot, 10 Sorcerous Earth.
    b) Rerolls stats on 640-645 item level plate armor/weapons. Materials Needed: 30 Truesteel Ingot, 15 Sorcerous Earth.
    c) Rerolls stats on 650-655 item level plate armor/weapons. Materials Needed: 40 Truesteel Ingot, 20 Sorcerous Earth.
    d) Rerolls stats on 665-670 item level plate armor/weapons. Materials Needed: 50 Truesteel Ingot, 5 Savage Blood.
    And similar material setups for Burnished Leather, Hexweave Cloth.

The idea behind this, is it makes people have to play more, which is more money in Blizzard's pocket, so this idea, should be appealing to Blizzard.

That's my thoughts guys and gals! Let me know your's.

- Reignofpain
    Last edited by Reignofpain; 2015-01-10 at 08:39 PM.

The tier is almost over. Soon enough you can worry about getting that better itemized BRF gear. I didn't like reforging personally. If blizzard needed more money they wouldnt need to do something like this to get it. Then can easily create mounts/pets/special consumables to add to the store that fly off the shelves. They can get income at the push of a button.

10+ Year Old Account
    Define bad? Not perfectly itemized. I think Shamans threw a fit when T10 wasn't itemized as well as their T9 gear so it tends to be poor at the beginning of an xpac and ramp from their. Trinkets tend to get stronger and more interesting over the course of an expansion as well. I don't think this is too new.

I know this thread isn't probably meant to cover LFR, but my thoughts on LFR stuff...

I have no problem with LFR stats really. It's always going to be sub-par compared to regular raid gear, and that's fine. It would be nice if it had some sort of set bonuses, though, even if they were lesser versions of what the regular gear gets. Give some incentive to complete a gear set from LFR.

But my biggest gripe is the garbage look they gave LFR gear. It'd be nice to get recolored versions of the regular raid gear (to distinguish the better gear from the LFR stuff), or design LFR gear that is entirely different but not half-assed like it is currently. Honestly, LFR folks already don't get cheeves, mounts, or decent stats. Giving out boring gear with bad graphics seems like taking the penalty for raiding only LFR a bit too far.

Make the gear different if need be, but still make it seem like raid gear. There are better looking greens than the shit that drops in LFR right now.

The point being here, is that the stats, technically suck in all of Highmaul... LFR, Normal AND Heroic. As a better way to help make this point more valid... my mage puts out almost as much DPS at 634 ilvl as our other mage who is 650 ilvl. (Who beats my mage by literally only 1k DPS, with near identical DPET).

Quote Originally Posted by Reignofpain View Post
    The point being here, is that the stats, technically suck in all of Highmaul... LFR, Normal AND Heroic. As a better way to help make this point more valid... my mage puts out almost as much DPS at 634 ilvl as our other mage who is 650 ilvl. (Who beats my mage by literally only 1k DPS, with near identical DPET).
    Clearly you are both exactly the same skill level so that couldn't possibly be a factor, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    The other mage sucks.

OT: While yes, I think there should be a way to re-optimize gear, I don't think a profession way would be it.. I don't mind going back to just reforging.

I think it could be entirely intentional that you are not able to have perfectly optimal gear. Wearing slightly sub-optimal gear is OK and really shouldn't bother you as much as it clearly is. If you are able to down bosses just fine, then what is the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Clearly you are both exactly the same skill level so that couldn't possibly be a factor, right?
    Actually, the guy and I may not be identical in skill level, but as I said, our DPET are nearly identical. If you don't understand what DPET is, then that is why you didn't understand what I was stating.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    The other mage sucks.

OT: While yes, I think there should be a way to re-optimize gear, I don't think a profession way would be it.. I don't mind going back to just reforging.
    Same case here, I stated our DPET is nearly equal, that means our skill levels are nearly equal. He does 28k DPS, I do 27k DPS.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stochastic View Post
    I think it could be entirely intentional that you are not able to have perfectly optimal gear. Wearing slightly sub-optimal gear is OK and really shouldn't bother you as much as it clearly is. If you are able to down bosses just fine, then what is the problem?
    The point is, we like to be able to see everyone be able to competitively be the best on our server. As we're that competitive. And when the stats are as bad as they are right now, it's hard to do such.

Deleted
    a 634ilvl mage consistently doing 27k DPS is...pretty hard to believe.. unless of course you have some logs to prove it.

Deleted
    At current gear levels there is minimal difference in the majority of secondary stats, reforging your gear would make very little difference.

The point is, we like to be able to see everyone be able to competitively be the best on our server. As we're that competitive. And when the stats are as bad as they are right now, it's hard to do such.
    What I don't understand regarding this competitiveness is that more optimal gear makes things easier. Which kind of makes your achievements less impressive.

Reforging should be brought back. It would be the easiest solution to implement to fix the poor itemization in Highmaul for many classes. The only downside to reforging in the past was the hit/expertise cap, and that's no longer an issue.

You forget though: enchants in the past were the same for all classes. There was no choice. Now though you have weapon enchants for all secondary stats and equal enchants for all stats.

Same goes for gems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmerciful Conker View Post
    What?! They said soon? Well you dont hear that everyday, I dont know about you guys but that has put my mind at total rest.

Deleted
    Apart from OCD, what is this "issue" you are talking about?

Highmaul gear is my favorite so far.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

People are overreacting a lot about gear - its first tier of expansion and first tier usually had bland boring gear usually shitty itemized.

Other thing is people instead make simple spreadsheet and check if item is actually upgrade or not look at stats see its not their bis and pass on 10-20 % upgrades in slot just cause "its not my bis so its shit"

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, Highmaul gear isn't that great stat-wise for some specs, since there are limited options in each slot. But you have crafted gear that you can get to 670 to help with that, and Foundry is around the corner. Additionally, I'm pretty sure most specs value their main primary stat above secondaries, which means that the ilvl differences are enough to make a higher level drop a good upgrade. It may be that the available secondaries vs those that aren't found on Highmaul gear has impacted some specs in relation to each other to a small degree, but its not at all something I see as needing to be changed or fixed, especially with Foundry a month or less away.

Actually, the guy and I may not be identical in skill level, but as I said, our DPET are nearly identical. If you don't understand what DPET is, then that is why you didn't understand what I was stating.
    Well, I know what DPET is, and I'm also quite familiar with the stat weights for each of the 3 mage specs, where all of them value Int above all else, which means that a 15-20 ilvl difference is going to present itself quite clearly unless one of those mages is not playing as well as the other. If you want to show some logs, I'll show you an underperforming mage. If you want to show me some sims with a 634 mage doing 27k with a 650 mage doing 28k, by all means let's see it.

Personally I like the OP's idea. Helps to solve crap itemisation while simultaneously keeping crafting professions relevant permanently.

OP, the gear is intentionally weak because BRF is meant to be the main gear of the tier.

If you honestly believe you and your mage friend are doing equal damage due to nonexistent scaling then you should probably go re-evaluate that ASAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."