10+ Year Old Account

Demo/Destro Lock - Which Spec for Wich Boss?

Greetings all,
    I recently went main spec Demonology. I used to play Destro full time, but it seems to under preform the other two specs. Most of my gear is crit/mastery, but I had some old trinkets that put put me at 8.49% haste, which should be plenty for Demo without sacrificing my destro dps (both specs being united by mastery).

So, my question is which spec do I use for which boss in Heroic High Maul? From what I have gathered so far: Kargath - Demo, Butcher - Demo, Tectus - Demo, Brakenspore - either, Twin Ogron - Destro, Ko'ragh - Destro, and Imp - Destro. Is this correct?
    Power?!?! I'll show you POWER!!!

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why would you play Destruction on Twin Ogron?

7+ Year Old Account
    Even with its cleave, Destro's complete lack of mobility makes it pretty dismal for twin ogrons. AFL / Demo (The mobility on demo form is really strong) are much better options.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Terryn View Post
    Even with its cleave, Destro's complete lack of mobility makes it pretty dismal for twin ogrons. AFL / Demo (The mobility on demo form is really strong) are much better options.
    Ahh! Got you. In my head, I thought the Bane + Chaos Bolt combo might make up for the lack of mobility, but I honestly have a bit of troubles easily switching targets anyways. I'll mess with Demonology on this fight though. I enjoy Demo anyways. Thank you.
    Power?!?! I'll show you POWER!!!

Cataclysm Demo on Twins, Tectus, and Brack if you're the flamethrower, DemonBolt Demo on Butcher esp if you're the mover. Destro for Imperator for sure, either/or for rest

I'd realistically say.

Kargath - Destro
    Butcher - Demo
    Tectus - Demo
    Bracken - Destro
    Twin Ogron - Destro
    Ko'ragh - Destro
    Imperator - Destro

People saying destro is bad for ogron compared to demo makes very little sense when the top destro parse is higher than the top demo

Quote Originally Posted by Sepelio View Post
    People saying destro is bad for ogron compared to demo makes very little sense when the top destro parse is higher than the top demo
    Maybe, but then 99% of people who post here will never be able to replicate what the top parse of any spec can do. Demo is solid on movement heavy fights.

The destro parse killed the boss 15 seconds faster, had a 583 ilvl compared to the demo's 578 ilvl. The guild the Demo lock was in lusted 1 minute into the fight (which means all opening burst had no lust, no lust to reduce imp swarm CD). He also held imp swarm till 1 minute into the fight so he could swarm during lust, for some reason.
    When you compare the top 200 Demo parses versus the top 200 destro you see things like: Only 67 destro locks breaking 30k DPS compared to 124 Demo locks breaking 30k. You see that the DPS drop from 1st place to 200th place is like 9.2k for destro and only like 7.1k for Demo. You see the 200th ranked destro lock fell to 27.8k DPS and the 200th Demo lock only fell to 29.1k. Demo was more consistent (from that sample size) in their damage, had a lower variance and had a higher percentage of the people do over 30k DPS.
    Destro had the top parse while the top demo parse has a slower kill, lusted 1 minute into the fight, looks like the demo lock was actually set up completely for destro as he's got crit enchants, etc. and that is lust a quick look.

I'm not saying destro is a terrible as SOME people make it out to be, also not saying demo is as INCREDIBLE as others make it out to be, those points don't concern me. However, you can't just take the two highest parses and not look into them (and then ignore the next 200) and say "see destro is better".

Also, and I know this point is used a lot around these forums but it's true, the top locks don't have public logs for the most part. It would be really interesting to see parses from those locks thrown in here. I bet it would make the gap between demo and destro even higher.
    Last edited by Octa; 2015-01-11 at 08:55 PM.

Kargath - Depends on your role for the fight. If you're going up on the chain Demo can be hilariously good (same with Destro) so it's mostly a crapshoot. And staying down I'd say it's about equal

Butcher - Demo

Tectus - Probably more of a toss up than people would expect

Brackenspore - Demo is probably the worst spec for this fight across all the Warlock specs

Twin Ogron - For Heroic I'd say it's more equal than in favour of one or the other

Ko'ragh - Depends on what your raid needs; Demo brings more mix damage where Destro would bring strictly magic damage

Imperator - Again I'd throw it to either spec depending on what your comp needs, overall Destro would likely be the better one

Quote Originally Posted by Octa View Post
    The destro parse killed the boss 15 seconds faster, had a 583 ilvl compared to the demo's 578 ilvl. The guild the Demo lock was in lusted 1 minute into the fight (which means all opening burst had no lust, no lust to reduce imp swarm CD). He also held imp swarm till 1 minute into the fight so he could swarm during lust, for some reason.
    When you compare the top 200 Demo parses versus the top 200 destro you see things like: Only 67 destro locks breaking 30k DPS compared to 124 Demo locks breaking 30k. You see that the DPS drop from 1st place to 200th place is like 9.2k for destro and only like 7.1k for Demo. You see the 200th ranked destro lock fell to 27.8k DPS and the 200th Demo lock only fell to 29.1k. Demo was more consistent (from that sample size) in their damage, had a lower variance and had a higher percentage of the people do over 30k DPS.
    Destro had the top parse while the top demo parse has a slower kill, lusted 1 minute into the fight, looks like the demo lock was actually set up completely for destro as he's got crit enchants, etc. and that is lust a quick look.

I'm not saying destro is a terrible as SOME people make it out to be, also not saying demo is as INCREDIBLE as others make it out to be, those points don't concern me. However, you can't just take the two highest parses and not look into them (and then ignore the next 200) and say "see destro is better".

Also, and I know this point is used a lot around these forums but it's true, the top locks don't have public logs for the most part. It would be really interesting to see parses from those locks thrown in here. I bet it would make the gap between demo and destro even higher.
    I never stated "See destro is better" was responding to people saying destro is bad for the encounter when it quite realistically is not at all.

Relative to the "Top locks private logs" notion, with the higher end guilds streaming there rekills now, pretty easy to see where they sit.

And as for not looking into them, you also missed the rather significant difference of, the demo warlock getting 5 procs from the 690 ring that i do not have.

I think as far as what is attainable for highest output on that encounter, if you've no intention of playing aff, than destro will be slightly ahead, but by such a negligible amount that you're not going to be even close to a hindrance if you choose to play either spec.

- - - Updated - - -

And side-note again relative to the top warlocks being private, I have more experience there than most, as looking at WoL/Wclogs/PR will tell you, for this tier aswell as previous.

Also another thing looking at the demo warlocks log, he was receiving the buff from the priest pvp 2 piece which is another variable damage increase.
    Last edited by Sepelio; 2015-01-11 at 10:19 PM.

That's awful reasoning.

No its not at all, if it is bad then it should be unable to put out any level of decent output, it wasn't specified whether or not demo/destro is better for someone who is good/bad/average at movement or any other variable, it was posed as what spec is better, and both specs can viably do fairly equivelant damage.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Also another thing looking at the demo warlocks log, he was receiving the buff from the priest pvp 2 piece which is another variable damage increase.
    Yeah I saw that, lol.

Demo: twins, tectus

Destro: everything else.

Koragh depends on what you need.

Unless you are pushing mythic in low gear it really doesn't matter all 3 specs are viable with appropriate gear.

May not be optimal, but all 3 specs are viable for all fights. Might not top the meters, but play what feels right.

I never stated "See destro is better" was responding to people saying destro is bad for the encounter when it quite realistically is not at all.

Relative to the "Top locks private logs" notion, with the higher end guilds streaming there rekills now, pretty easy to see where they sit.

And as for not looking into them, you also missed the rather significant difference of, the demo warlock getting 5 procs from the 690 ring that i do not have.

I think as far as what is attainable for highest output on that encounter, if you've no intention of playing aff, than destro will be slightly ahead, but by such a negligible amount that you're not going to be even close to a hindrance if you choose to play either spec.

- - - Updated - - -

And side-note again relative to the top warlocks being private, I have more experience there than most, as looking at WoL/Wclogs/PR will tell you, for this tier aswell as previous.

You make some fair points. I still think the reasoning you gave in your first post was utterly terrible though which is mainly what I was trying to point out.
    I guess if what you were saying is it's viable then yes, I agree and stated I think some people here really shit on it for no reason. Was just a weird way of stating it.
    Last edited by Octa; 2015-01-12 at 05:15 AM.

Affliction is the clear choice for Twins, absolutely no debate. But sticking to the two specs listed, lets try to examine real world scenarios. As in, none of the people debating this issue are top world players like Neverknow.

Every Warlock knows Destro. Super easy to play, even with its loss of mobility in 6.0.2. Even though its in no way difficult, Affliction does require the player to work a little harder to maintain a near 100% uptime on their dots than it does to play Destro.

Sticking to the two specs that the OP is asking about, Destro is not a bad choice for Twins compared to Demo. Both are bad choices compared to Affliction, but playing Destro is no better or worse than Demo. In the hands of the average Warlock, more of them are going to do better playing the easier spec, which is Destro. Since of the three specs, Demo is by far the most difficult to play well. I didn't say most difficult to play, I said most difficult to play well. Especially with talent choices changing based on the fight, which in turn changes your rotation.

So what it comes down to is really simple. Which of those two specs are you better at playing? Which ever one that is, that's the spec you should be running for Twins.
    Cooler Master HAF X : Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz : Corsair A70 cooler : 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP : ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO/Gen3 : EVGA GTX GTX 670 FTW SIG2