Page 1 of 2
LastLast

First time builder... solid build? Overkill?

Hi all,

I've been wanting to put together my own system for a while, but have never really done it before. After a lot of reading and checking forums, asking friends and all that - I think I'm pretty set on what I want to get. I've seen some forum updates from folks on here that were very helpful and was wondering if my build can be looked over before I start buying? It would be greatly appreciated!! (I'm so sorry for no links, but the forum won't let me add them being a new poster and all)

Overall my intentions for the system in order of importance:
    1) World of Warcraft
    2) Final Fantasy XIV
    3) Dragon Age: Inquisition (haven't tried it yet)

Case: 139.99
    Corsair Obsidian Series 550D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Power Supply: 119.99
    EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 220-G2-0750-XR 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply Intel 4th Gen CPU*

CPU: 215.00
    Intel Core i5-4690K Processor 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I54690K

Heatsink: 34.99
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan

Motherboard: 144.99
    ASUS Z97-A ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97-A

Memory: 142.99
    Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model BLS2K8G3D1609ES2LX0

Graphics Card: 363.76
    MSI GTX 970 4GD5T OC Graphics Cards GTX 970 4GD5T OC

Hard Drive: 74.45
    Western Digital 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive, Black, WD2003FZEX

SSD: 104.99
    Crucial MX100 256GB SATA 2.5" 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive CT256MX100SSD1

DVD: 21.69
    Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)

Monitor: 136.99
    ASUS VS228H-P 22-Inch Full-HD 5ms LED-Lit LCD Monitor

Keyboard: 90.49
    Logitech G510s Gaming Keyboard with Game Panel LCD Screen

Mouse: 19.99
    Anker Gaming Mouse

Speakers: 34.99
    Logitech Z313 Speaker System

Deleted
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.88 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 66.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($125.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($133.98 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.97 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($347.99 @ Directron)
    Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Advanced ATX Mid Tower Case ($85.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
    Monitor: Asus VN248H-P 23.8" Monitor ($152.58 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1330.34
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-10 17:04 EST-0500

For the core, that's an amazing base for the cost. I'll leave those peripheral choices to you, but the unit I've chosen, except for the case, is all really strong.

Ill pop in with my usual "do you have a Microcenter anywhere near you" question. If yes, their in-store deals on Intel CPUs and Compatible Motherboards + RAM simply cannot be beat. I'd consider a 50-90 minute trip worth it to save 70$ on the CPU, 40$ on the MoBo, and 20$ on the RAM, in most cases.

Otherwise, Ten's build looks pretty solid - its what you wanted but he saved you some money on better parts for less.

Not sure about the RAM though - the faster speed RAM has been pretty well proven to be completely useless for gaming. If it isnt more expensive, though, it could be worth it for everyday tasks. Im partial to the Crucial Ballistix, though its fast, low latency (CL9) , and inexpensive but good quality. Its been in all my rigs, including my current one (where ive got the VLP model)

Thanks for the options! As it turns out, there is a Microcenter 4 miles from me haha. I never even heard of them, it was kind of overwhelming first walking in. Unfortunately they didn't have much of what I was looking for in stock, but they did have the processor for $20 less than online options.

I was tempted by the RAM originally due to the size so it's easier to work around. Not sure if faster RAM would be better for me in the long run, though it has gotten good reviews.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarynn View Post
    ... As it turns out, there is a Microcenter 4 miles from me haha....
    Some ppl are luckier than they know! Some of us would wish to have one where we live

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Some ppl are luckier than they know! Some of us would wish to have one where we live
    Are people still shopping offline? Online is always way cheaper and it only takes a day to arrive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BallsUp View Post
    Are people still shopping offline? Online is always way cheaper and it only takes a day to arrive.
    Uhhh... what? Arrive next day delivery is expensive as fuck. For newegg it costs $20+ on newegg. Paying for Amazon Prime/Newegg Premier type doesn't really count, cause you're still paying an upfront cost that is still only 2 day shipping, not next day. Only time it'd be applicable for not higher shipping fee is when you're in the Zone 1 delivery area, which for me happens to be the case for Newegg, but I also get taxed.

Anecdotal, I got a 2TB WD Green for $60 at a nearby Best Buy during Christmas Eve (or a day before?) while online it was still $75.

Not anecdotal at all. All in store pick ups.
    http://www.microcenter.com/site/bran...r-bundles.aspx
    Last edited by Remilia; 2015-01-12 at 09:02 AM.

Deleted
    No but there a some nice combo deals that beats online shopping anyway. Like getting a Z97/4790k for like 350bucks or something along those lines.

Deleted
    I have no idea what microcenter is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Uhhh... what? Arrive next day delivery is expensive as fuck.
    O the joys of living in a small country. Most shops have a "order before [time], have it the next day" service! For no extra costs, just regular mailing costs if they have that at all. It just have to be in store of course

As for Tens build, I would go for a different motherboard unless you want to stick with that colour scheme.

Uhhh... what? Arrive next day delivery is expensive as fuck. For newegg it costs $20+ on newegg. Paying for Amazon Prime/Newegg Premier type doesn't really count, cause you're still paying an upfront cost that is still only 2 day shipping, not next day. Only time it'd be applicable for not higher shipping fee is when you're in the Zone 1 delivery area, which for me happens to be the case for Newegg, but I also get taxed.
    LOL? In Germany the standard shipping arrives next day. These Offline-Hardware Shops in Germany are ridiculously overpriced. I think they just buy the hardware Online from the same shops normal people can buy and add 30% on top of it.

Deleted
    I wasn't going to reply but why not help? Anyway just few things you can change

The grahpics card. After immense research for my own build. Gigabyte GTX 970 is better interms of cooling and overall performance. The MSI has a coil whine problem that a lot of people suffered and suffers from. It really boils down to Asus or Gigabyte but Gigabyte cooler slightly better which made it my choice.

The SSD Drive. Change it to Samsung 840 EVO. There is a chart showing all SSDs performance and the Samsung was slightly faster. Crucial is great but they are almost the same price so yeah.

The CPU cooler. Hyper 212 is one of the best considering the price but it's a little loud compared to other coolers that perform much better and quieter. If you are also going to dabble in with some overclocking. Changing it is a must. If you don't, then you can still buy it but I always freak out when it comes to cooling so I would go with Noctua NH-U14S.

Everything else looks perfect. I would rather get a bigger monitor though with an IPS panel because I love watching awesome Anime qualities :P Just my taste.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erotaku View Post
    The SSD Drive. Change it to Samsung 840 EVO. There is a chart showing all SSDs performance and the Samsung was slightly faster. Crucial is great but they are almost the same price so yeah.
    You will not notice the difference between speeds with the EVO or the MX100. Plus the MX100 has powersafe caps and is 20 bucks cheaper...

Stick with the MX100.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radoleg View Post
    I have no idea what microcenter is.
    http://www.microcenter.com/ If you live in the US, and have one nearby, it's a great place to get your computer/tech stuff. The salespeople are usually very knowledgeable. You can order online and pick up at the store, they state they can have your order ready in 30 minutes, although I've never done that myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    LOL? In Germany the standard shipping arrives next day. These Offline-Hardware Shops in Germany are ridiculously overpriced. I think they just buy the hardware Online from the same shops normal people can buy and add 30% on top of it.
    Congratulations, except that everything was listed in USD and assumed US. Shipping is expensive here. US is a lot bigger in terms of land than Germany, and this increases shipping cost by a lot, especially when you're not within zone 1 of the warehouse.
    You can check any online shop for the US and find it expensive as fuck.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2015-01-12 at 09:35 PM.

Congratulations, except that everything was listed in USD and assumed US. Shipping is expensive here. US is a lot bigger in terms of land than Germany, and this increases shipping cost by a lot, especially when you're not within zone 1 of the warehouse.
    You can check any online shop for the US and find it expensive as fuck.
    Too bad that you live in a fucking 3rd World Country. Isn't DHL (a German Company) doing a lot of stuff over there, because your Companies are too retarded?

Infracted - Please keep your comments civil and constructive.
    Last edited by chazus; 2015-01-13 at 05:59 AM.

Deleted
    Maybe you should be more polite and stop jumping into posts accusing ppl.

Wow that escalated quickly, haha. Already got half of the parts, the rest should be coming in today (hopefully tomorrow) so I can throw this all together.

One thing I didn't consider was network connection. I'm guessing the best option is always a wired connection, though my problem is my desk is on the complete opposite end of the living room where the router is. Running a cable all along the baseboard would be not only ugly, but I'm not even sure 100ft is enough. Is wireless a terrible idea? I've always used wireless on my laptop and never really had an issue... thinking I'm better off getting a wireless card and saving the hassle of trying to run cables.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You live in the US? Is there a single elec panel powering your living space?

You've got a couple options depending. One would be a wireless adapter obviously. Recommend THIS ONE.

Other option would be Ethernet over Power. Not a gauranteed solution but on average it works extremely well assuming you have one panel. With 2 you would need to ensure that the circuits are on the same panel etc etc and some buildings have funky wiring that make this not so effective as well. Basically just plug one into the wall near the router and one in the wall near the PC. Plug an ethernet cable from the router into one and then from the other one to the PC. Something like THIS would work. This is my favorite solution personally but it does have more restrictions than wireless as far as getting it to work.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Regarding the keyboard, I had (still have but not using) that original Logitech G keyboard with LED screen and the quality was great. However, I hardly used the extra functions like the LCD screen because I would always look at stats (in for instance WoW) in game and those G keys are not really in a functional place. You cannot reach them when you have your hand on WASD unless you really stretch your pinky. I added mounting and HS-ing to it but also never used it much. Just kept using my normal keybindings for it.

The quality for the logitech was great but now you can get mechanical keyboards for around that price and even though they have less functions, the keys that you use constantly feel much better. So the reason why you pay so much for a keyboard is actually something you use all the time. Just something you might want to consider.