Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mission completion %, how does it work?

i keep getting conflicting reports about this:
    say i have a mythic highmaul mission with an 86% completion rate.
    does this mean i actually have an 86% to complete it, OR does it mean each follower (out of 3) has an 86% chance per swing?
    if it is the latter that would reduce the overall rate to (.86)^3 = 64%

Its 86% chance per mob in the mission so its the 2nd way.

If you fail 1 of 3 you fail the mission.

No one but Blizz knows the answer for a fact. Folks will answer your question (you'll get answers on both sides and people will argue) but there just is no proof until Blizz says something.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    No one but Blizz knows the answer for a fact. Folks will answer your question (you'll get answers on both sides and people will argue) but there just is no proof until Blizz says something.
    No, we do know. Its been confirmed in a number of places.

Its 86% chance per mob. So 3 mobs = 86%, 86%, 86%. Three separate rolls. Anything under 90% is taking a gamble on 3 mobs. Thats not to say you wont win. You might win every damn time, but its still a gamble. Thats why people say.. if it isnt 100%, fix it.

1 Mob 2 Mobs 3 Mobs
    100 100 100
    95 90 86
    90 81 73
    85 72 61
    80 64 51
    75 56 42
    Last edited by chazus; 2015-01-11 at 06:50 AM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    No, we do know. Its been confirmed in a number of places.

Its 86% chance per mob. So 3 mobs = 86%, 86%, 86%. Three separate rolls.
    Confirmed ? By Blizz ?
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    Confirmed ? By Blizz ?
    I don't know, but it has certainly been reliably confirmed.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I don't know, but it has certainly been reliably confirmed.
    If it's been reliably confirmed, surely you have a source.

Not that I truly care (because I can 100% counter pretty much any mission now), but just for knowledge-sake, I'm curious.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    If it's been reliably confirmed, surely you have a source..
    I've looked it up because I was curious. Theres tons of threads and math, people who do API work for the mods, etc.

I don't have anything to link because it's not worth it for me to spend 20 minutes to prove it, when you can spend 20 minutes to find the same thing.

I think there's a disconnect between players and the game if is indeed 3 separate rolls of the mission success chance, or maybe it's just me, but I learned something new! Most of those folks that get frustrated at failing 90+% missions probably think its a single roll. Doesn't help that the garrison addons hide the roll animation

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree that it is frustrating that this expansion in particular theres a LOT of hidden information, or very, very, very un-intuitive information. Things that you literally cannot know unless you look it up outside the game.

I've looked it up because I was curious. Theres tons of threads and math, people who do API work for the mods, etc.

I don't have anything to link because it's not worth it for me to spend 20 minutes to prove it, when you can spend 20 minutes to find the same thing.
    If you can't be bothered to actually back up your claims, why should we believe them? You made the claim, burden of proof is on you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    If you can't be bothered to actually back up your claims, why should we believe them? You made the claim, burden of proof is on you.
    You don't have to believe them. I don't care if you do or not, really, it doesn't change the fact. It doesn't change my gameplay if you believe otherwise. I already proved it for myself, which is good enough for me. *shrug*

Deleted
    You don't have to believe them. I don't care if you do or not, really, it doesn't change the fact. It doesn't change my gameplay if you believe otherwise. I already proved it for myself, which is good enough for me. *shrug*
    Not that I don't believe you, but if it's been "confirmed" in numerous places and if there's "tons" of threads including maths and what not, surely it can't take you long at all to find just ONE, can it? This argument you just gave pretty much boils down to "I can claim whatever I want and don't need to back up that claim whatsoever." That's an absolute ridiculous logic to have any sort of meaningful discussion. I'll follow suit:

It's clearly overall 86% chance and not per mob. There's been numerous posts all across in the internet that prove it, math has been done and large sample sizes been investigated. I cba finding these threads anymore though, so you'll have to take my word for it. Or just look for yourself. There's definitly no way you're posting on this forum because you can't find any reliable source to begin with.

See? He said she said. Best discussions ever! It has about the same value as not posting.

Fine. Just realise that this diminishes your general credibility, which, given your status, probably isn't the best of ideas.

Theres only two ways you could know for sure. 1) you ran countless trackers of thousands of missions at varying degrees of success and counters and opposing minions or 2) you work for Blizzard. Anybody else who tries to claim otherwise is probably just guessing as well. You seem really hostile on this and try to understand that people aren't trying to attack you personally. You are definitely allowed to believe that the missions work one way or another. But when trying to argue logically and convince others of your viewpoint you need to provide sources or at least your own simulations of what you've experienced, otherwise its all just conjecture.

Me personally I haven't seen good arguments for one way or another and until someone comes out with a detailed simulation of all the factors involved I dont think we will know. For now your best hope is to balance your followers out in such a way that any mission you absolutely need to complete can be done 100% without question.

The problem with this statement is that I've read probably hundreds of posts, done a fair a bit of searching (probably more than 20 minutes), and not once have I ever seen something that even began to resemble meaningful evidence.

Sure there's several threads out there for calculating mission success chance, but not once have I seen such a thread provide evidence for how that success chance is actually applied. That's something that requires a large sample of evidence and nothing else.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Fine. Just realise that this diminishes your general credibility, which, given your status, probably isn't the best of ideas.
    Maybe to you it does, I personally can't be assed to look up every damn thing every time somebody asks for a source so I totally understand where he's coming from.
    Last edited by aggixx; 2015-01-11 at 09:07 PM.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by aggixx View Post
    Maybe to you it does, I personally can't be assed to look up every damn thing every time somebody asks for a source so I totally understand where he's coming from.
    It's more the general tone and mindset behind that statement that does it, not so much that he won't provide a source for everything. There's a difference between just relaying what you heard and stating something with absolute certainty and then acting all snooty when somebody questions it.

I've done thousands of missions by now. If it's per follower then I have the best luck in the universe.

I believe it just works like /roll mechanic

Deleted
    I'm pretty sure it's just what it says. 86% success chance means you have an 86% chance of success. Calculating it any differently wouldn't make sense and I succeed low percentage missions so often (>2000 missions done) that I find it hard to believe the actual win percentage is even lower.