Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Class mechanics pre-Warlords: Hardest caster being Shadow Priest in DPS, and hardest melee being Rogue. Skill cap and difficulty are different, however, but not very much. One important question to ask is how much utility a class/role can provide, and how necessary it is. Shadow has almost always had a vast amount of them, ranging from various forms of dispels, heals, damage types, and more. The damage part is not harder or easier than for other casters; it is everything else combined that makes the class/role difficult and with high skill cap.

Easiest I would vote warrior. No explanation needed really, especially since the OP plays a warrior.

Hardest I would vote sub rogue. A lot more tools and utility to keep track of and time well than most classes, and their dps/burst is also more complicated/tedious/precise than most other specs. Well played druids are also worth mentioning, they don't waste a global.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirkzat View Post
    Hardest caster being Shadow Priest in DPS
    No CC diminishing returns to manage. Instant decline.

10+ Year Old Account
    Easiest: Huntards, Retardruids, Death Kings, Warrior, COMBAT rogue, Retard paladin

Hardest: All other classes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    No CC diminishing returns to manage. Instant decline.
    Not on its own, but with a plethora of other classes, it has. That doesn't matter much nevertheless. I'll throw one back: E.g., Mage: No healing. Instant decline. No non-targeted dispel. Decline. [Etc.] One can say what one wants to me. I've discussed this topic before, and given it extensive thought; there needs to be something exceptional to convince me that any other DPS matches SPriest in skill cap/utility management and more.

Hardest... Windwalker Monks, cause you just fall over and die instantly. Can't very well do anything while dead now can you.

Not on its own, but with a plethora of other classes, it has. That doesn't matter much nevertheless. I'll throw one back: E.g., Mage: No healing. Instant decline. No non-targeted dispel. Decline. [Etc.] One can say what one wants to me. I've discussed this topic before, and given it extensive thought; there needs to be something exceptional to convince me that any other DPS matches SPriest in skill cap/utility management and more.
    Depends on the comp really. Spriest in shadowplay focused much less on making use of utility while setting things up and more on aidsing down the enemy team, whereas when in SP/rogue/rdruid it can be amazing to see played well.
    Affliction warlock back in Wrath would be a top contender in my opinion because of all the multi-dotting and Fear DRs you had to keep track of. Having 3 (and even 4 when Immolate and UA wheren't mutually exclusive) timers on 3 different targets (which you can't refresh instantly like with Soul Swap) as well as Fear DR is quite a lot, along with Shadow Embrace that stacked 3 times and Haunt. I really think that it is one of the hardest specs throughout WoW because of the amount of multi-tasking needed to play it as "perfectly" as possible. So you have damage, CC, support (felhunter defensive dispel for example) and survivability/kiting to worry about. The only department in which it's lacking compared to say rogue or priest is probably pure counterplay (sure you can do things like juke, pre-fear trinkets, AoE people out of stealth, etc... but nowhere near as much as a sub rogue).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenexis View Post
    Depends on the comp really. Spriest in shadowplay focused much less on making use of utility while setting things up and more on aidsing down the enemy team, whereas when in SP/rogue/rdruid it can be amazing to see played well.
    I completely disagree. Shadowplay was excellent, pressure-wise, about three years ago, particularly due to the trinkets [Cunning of the Cruel], which made less necessary the use of utility. However, there were numerous comps that required a near-perfect use of utilities. For instance, RMP. You had to coordinate CC's well, especially because you had very high CD on them in contrast to other classes. Additionally, you had to make very well-coordinated and intuitive moves, such as LoF, shield, dispel, and more. None of that is easy.

What made it different to a Warlock is that more was expected of you in terms of what you provided not only against the opponent, but for your team as well. Warlock had a plethora of spells to save him and the partners in case of a misuse of a CC, while SP did not. Those that he did were of other kinds, but not the same. You could heal in case you did not land a dispel, or run for a fear if you did not get off a Silence. There is more risk involved, which is why most other classes fall behind.

Concerning survivability, I have no idea why SP had more of it. At least when it came to fighting melee - it was a complete mess.

I completely disagree. Shadowplay was excellent, pressure-wise, about three years ago, particularly due to the trinkets [Cunning of the Cruel], which made less necessary the use of utility. However, there were numerous comps that required a near-perfect use of utilities. For instance, RMP. You had to coordinate CC's well, especially because you had very high CD on them in contrast to other classes. Additionally, you had to make very well-coordinated and intuitive moves, such as LoF, shield, dispel, and more. None of that is easy.
    I don't see how that goes against anything that I've said. Shadowplay with Cunning, 4.3.4 Rshams and immortal Affliction warlocks required much less utility and coordination because of how strong it was upfront and capable of easily applying pressure.

All in all of course an SP's skillcap is strongly determined by the support that it can offer, but I don't see how for example off-healing to survive is more skillful that trying to cross CC your opponents and peeling them off. As a warlock you did have a lot of high risk/high reward plays, especially since you could do things like port + fear, soulburn summon for a clutch Imp dispel or second spell lock (but to be honest this applied much more to Destruction which I consider one of the most skillful specs in Cata, however I'm biased). Death Coil back in wrath was also on a 2 min CD and healed for a lot, which meant it was an important decision to make when you used it to peel/CC instead of keeping yourself alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Celede View Post
    Hardest... Windwalker Monks, cause you just fall over and die instantly. Can't very well do anything while dead now can you.
    You must be really bad, WW is very strong if played by someone with half a brain

Easy to Hard

Hunter
    Warrior
    Paladin
    Death Knight
    Mage
    Druid
    Rogue
    Warlock
    Shaman

Don't know enough about Priests or Monks in PvP to rank them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShultz View Post
    You must be really bad, WW is very strong if played by someone with half a brain
    In Pandaria, sure. Not in Draenor, far from it. There is a reason most monks switched to Brewmaster.

Deleted
    Easy: Moonkin, DK, Warry
    Hard: Priest, Warlock

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenexis View Post
    I don't see how that goes against anything that I've said. Shadowplay with Cunning, 4.3.4 Rshams and immortal Affliction warlocks required much less utility and coordination because of how strong it was upfront and capable of easily applying pressure.
    What I referred to was its stance against numerous comps that required you to use very precise forms of defence and counter-measurements. The pressure is one thing, but surviving throughout in a comp without many peels is not easy. The SP, in this case, is the most important factor in the match. With the actions he takes, the match can either go on, or end on the spot. He is responsible for both the standard support every class provides, alongside having to heal, shield, dispel, and make other moves that require precise calculation. This is, indeed, just one comp in which the SP can be, among the innumerable others, which, truly, require him to do even more. Using this one as an example remains sound, however, for it shows how even in offensive comps, one must be ready to utilize everything at the vast disposal.

All in all of course an SP's skillcap is strongly determined by the support that it can offer, but I don't see how for example off-healing to survive is more skillful that trying to cross CC your opponents and peeling them off. As a warlock you did have a lot of high risk/high reward plays, especially since you could do things like port + fear, soulburn summon for a clutch Imp dispel or second spell lock (but to be honest this applied much more to Destruction which I consider one of the most skillful specs in Cata, however I'm biased). Death Coil back in wrath was also on a 2 min CD and healed for a lot, which meant it was an important decision to make when you used it to peel/CC instead of keeping yourself alive.
    SP does cross CC as well. The situation for him is even more risky, for the high CD requires more careful thought. Silence from a SP is often more important for landing kills than from a Mage or Warlock, hence a miss can be very dangerous. As for the other CD's you mention, I cannot see how they, in any fashion, are more risky than those of a SP. Dispersion is risky, especially when in a situation that requires its use for Mana replenishment, which leaves you much more vulnerable to death thereafter. Keep also in mind Void Shift in MoP, which was extremely risky.

We can go on forever about what spells are more difficult and risky, but the point is that a SP has a plethora of tools, offensively and defensively, that can be utilized to a very high level, as well as with difficulty involved. Other classes have more direct spheres of play, generally involving defense or offence, whereas a SP often has to dive into the sea of both.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Don't know enough about Priests or Monks in PvP to rank them.
    Disco is OP if the enemies don't have any offensive dispels, but are the worst healer if they have them. They also have trouble topping off players. Holy has more raw healing output, but the lack of CC (Silence is Disc and Shadow-only) puts players off from playing. Plus Failangel can be countered either by range or LOS.

Monks are also in pretty bad shape right now. WW is one of the worst PvP specs, MW feels easy to tunnel outside of Life Cocoon. Then there's Brewmaster, where people cheese with it to exploit the 100k Guards they can put out with the 4 piece set bonus.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    Easiest: survival hunter vs. random melee. TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Hardest: survival hunter vs. balance druid. Ouch!
    vs monk/warrior*

Either way, pretty much this...

Are Boomkins easy to learn? I main Ele Shaman and, well.. you know the rest lol.

Hardest thing would be keeping track of the eclipse bar I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Euroguy View Post
    Are Boomkins easy to learn? I main Ele Shaman and, well.. you know the rest lol.

Hardest thing would be keeping track of the eclipse bar I guess?
    Boomkin is rather skilless at the moment because you're encouraged to spam instants all day long, and in the rare occasions where you need to cast, you have aura mastery. Although this might change in 6.1 where their new set bonus encourages them to hardcast spells, which is actually promising. Still though, they're the caster with the strongest and easiest to use escape tools by far.

Deleted
    Don't know about easy, but (resto) shamans are the hardest. Seeing a melee opponent causes a bleed effect that will keep on bleeding until you die. If your team hasn't killed anything by then, gg.

The only way resto shamans can be 'decent' is if they are able to play offensively. They have strong cooldowns and burst (cast) heals, a ranged interrupt, a ranged aoe stun and purge. What they don't have is the time to use any of it most of the time, because they will be focused and trained by melee from start to finish. Their instant cast healing ability is somewhat limited, meaning they are exceptionally vulnerable to interrupts and silences.

Shamans are viable in well-coordinated teams with lots of defensive peels/cooldowns at their disposal (rets and hunters fit the bill), but they require a very high amount of skill to be any better than completely useless. Their viability is limited and their lives are extremely rough compared to other classes in the game currently.

no feral for easiest?

brb stealth, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, finisher, treants, fury, berserk, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, finisher, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, finisher, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, finisher ect....