Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Girlyman View Post
    Never had any issues regarding mouse acceleration, and I have enhanced pointer precision on.
    My mouse never behaved like it was shown in the video, or maybe it's so low I never felt it. (Edit: just used to it)
    Anyway, tried disabling the pointer option and my eyes kinda of hurt now.

Edit: Tried the 6 notch + pointer off.
    And it's soo damn slow, I have to make gigantic movements to hit the edges of the screen. Daniel-San car washing movements.
    How the heck can I turn fast while playing TF2 ? I will end up karate-chopping my PC to the ground.
    Increase the DPI setting on your mouse.

I tried to deactivate it and it's a pain in the ass, i just can't use it that way -_-

i looove my mouse acceleration, have it jacked right up to 8000 dpi on my mouse... barely have to move it to get across 2 screens. No one else can use my computer they can never get it to land on an icon muahaha, but my reflexes are used to it and it works amazingly fast

Quote Originally Posted by analmoose View Post
    i looove my mouse acceleration, have it jacked right up to 8000 dpi on my mouse... barely have to move it to get across 2 screens. No one else can use my computer they can never get it to land on an icon muahaha, but my reflexes are used to it and it works amazingly fast
    DPI isn't mouse acceleration though, it's DPI and the function is entirely different.

DPI = dots per inch, basically how many pixels your mouse covers during a mouse swipe of an inch. The speed stays constant and precise regardless of how fast, slow or inbetween you move your mouse.

Mouse acceleration adds fake speed ups and speed downs based on your mouse speed, lessening precision by large amounts and typically emulated by software.
    Last edited by Wilian; 2015-01-13 at 08:42 PM.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

DPI is also a marketing tool, the most you need is roughly 800DPI you will pass with 450DPI also.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by medvedev View Post
    Why do so many people use the term 'port' interchangeably with 'anything released on PC that is also on consoles' and how can I blame Total Biscuit for it?
    Consoles drive game development because if it were the other way around they wouldn't be able to run the top end releases. It's all about the lowest common denominator. That's why games either get released a generation late or not at all on Nintendo's offerings now because the hardware is a step behind since the Wii.

Personally I can't play without inverted Y-axis and think mouse acceleration is the worst thing for a game. On that note about Farcry, I had both Farcry 3 and Blood Dragon ask me if I wanted to switch to my USB 360 controller as the primary control method, another nod towards the port direction in my mind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mehow2g View Post
    DPI is also a marketing tool, the most you need is roughly 800DPI you will pass with 450DPI also.

I need 1600-2000DPI for my 2.5k screen or i'd have to do marathon runs with mouse around screen.

I have no strong feelings towards mouse acceleration, I seem to be able to adapt "on the fly".
    Inverted controls for camera and flight sims is a must though.

Quote Originally Posted by Radoleg View Post
    I need 1600-2000DPI for my 2.5k screen or i'd have to do marathon runs with mouse around screen.
    Or you could turn up windows sensitivity?

But that's fine it's not like they are making "low DPI" mouses any more, but it is basically marketing just a way to keep people thinking they are getting something better.
    Last edited by mehow2g; 2015-01-14 at 04:20 PM.

I read on TeamLiquid, back when i started playing Sc2, that messing around with windows sensitivity is a bad idea, because anything different than the standard 6/11 (1:1 ratio) is a loss of precision. That's the reason that gaming mice use DPI... and i agree that "usually" anything higher than 800-1200 is overkill.... at least in my experience (1000 DPI at 1080p here)

Well, I never turned mouse acc. off because I could play with it. Got kicked off some cs servers for suspected cheating back in the days :P

Anyway, the acceleration is not bad, even for games, if you're used to it. At work I really need it for my 3x 24" displays. And no, a high-DPI mouse with max. sensitivity in Windows dosn't work, because it's too fast to hit small icons etc. in our erp system. For work and usual usage mouse acceleration is the best you can do. With normal moving you can easily hit anything or if you do some graphic design and need a steady hand. But it dosn't hinder you to swing the pointer from the far right corner of the right display to the far left corner at the left side display in an instant.

With max speed you can't work "slow", you always are fast and in some cases not fast enough.
    "Who am I? I am Susan Ivanova, Commander, daughter of Andrej and Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is gonna kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart. I am death incarnate and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me." - Susan Ivanova, Between the Darkness and the Light, Babylon 5

"Only one human captain ever survived a battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me! You are in front of me! If you value your lives - be somewhere else!" - Delenn, Severed Dreams, Babylon 5

10+ Year Old Account
    it depends on the game if i like mouse acceleration or not.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Options people...options.

They never hurt so long as they're optional.

They add the same thing to console gaming when trying to aim. In any shooter be it console or PC that shit is infuriating.

Deleted
    It's funny, I have a G700, that can deliver, according to the software, 8200 dpi. I just can't use that, because my mouse gets way, way too fast at 3000+. I tone it down to like 2000 dpi. I didn't use to think dpi had anything to do with mouse speed, but apparently it does.

So... Mouse acceleration or not, the mouse itself is the problem, with dpi at insane levels.

Thankfully the G700 can switch between 5 dpi settings on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Notshauna View Post
    It's an inferior form of mouse control, you might like it but it's still inferior. See keyboard turning, clicking and backpedaling.
    Some people have got used to it, and it works for them.
    You call it inferior only because it isn't what works for you.

And don't start the usual elitist nonsense about keybinding, as not everyone is going to become the next Usain Bolt by simply running a lot.
    No amount of practice for some people is going to get them uber skilled at something.
    Some people simply will not be as good at a certain form of control, be that using a controller, using mouse with acceleration or keybinding.

A higher skill ceiling means a better response time IF executed sufficiently well.
    It does not equal better results guaranteed for everyone.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2015-01-15 at 08:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by thpthpthp View Post
    Why do devs add mouse acceleration when it's almost universally hated?
    I use mouse acceleration. I know several people who use it too. So then; is it still almost universally hated?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    I use mouse acceleration. I know several people who use it too. So then; is it still almost universally hated?
    If a few people in the Universe do not hate something, that doesn't mean said something isn't universally hated.

May as well chime in about settings
    I use 400DPI for windows and most games then for FPS I use 1200DPI and no mouse acceleration. Seems to be the sweet spot for me but far too low for others that have used my PC.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Some people have got used to it, and it works for them.
    You call it inferior only because it isn't what works for you.

And don't start the usual elitist nonsense about keybinding, as not everyone is going to become the next Usain Bolt by simply running a lot.
    No amount of practice for some people is going to get them uber skilled at something.
    Some people simply will not be as good at a certain form of control, be that using a controller, using mouse with acceleration or keybinding.

A higher skill ceiling means a better response time IF executed sufficiently well.
    It does not equal better results guaranteed for everyone.
    But it is inferior no matter what you will never have pure accuracy you may get very good at like I once did in CS but ultimately you will never have the precision as no acceleration.

Try trace a box on your computer screen as quick as posible, flick to corner to corner you will either overshoot or fall short.

Imagine you drawing lines on a piece of paper quickly and your hand naturally moves faster as if you did not have control.

You may disagree with me still and you probably will continue to use it because it suits you that's fine but you're incorrect it is inferior if you want precise movement.

This is coming from a gamer who has played high level CS1.6 for 8 years, When I get to a LAN competition the first thing I do is remove mouse acceleration, I cannot recall 1 player from CS1.6 who played high level who used mouse acceleration.