Thread: Prot and DPS

10+ Year Old Account

Prot and DPS

How much should I really worry when it comes to DPS as i tank? I feel like I should worry more with mechanics and staying alive and protecting other players than how much DPS I am doing. The last few times I have Tanked, some players wonder why my dps is low. I usually just do around 10k at ilvl 635. Just trying to see if I am doing right, thanks

While staying alive and reducing damage/increasing self healing is your first priority, the next thing beyond that should be increasing damage where you can. It helps make the run faster, and when whatever you're fighting is dead, you're not taking damage from it anymore.

Finding opportunities to swap to Seal of Truth in periods where you are taking no damage, timing Seraphim with Light's Hammer, making use of damage buffs when they pop up (items, boss buffs/debuffs etc). All things you can look for and work on.

10k seems high for a single target fight in your gear. In 660ish ilvl I pull 16k dps on Heroic Butcher, but steamrolling through a dungeon I can pull out 70k dps on an aoe pack.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmmmmmBacon View Post
    In 660ish ilvl I pull 16k dps on Heroic Butcher
    You should be doing a LOT more.

DPS is important still as a tank. Learn the mechanics, then think about how you can do more damage.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2015-01-12 at 03:40 AM.

There are very few occasions where maximising your damage dealt in any way reduces your survivability or capability to complete the encounter except for the concentration it requires. And due to sotr being our go to finisher, a high DPS does correlate to high mitigation.
    Exceptions: Seal of truth/righteousness, Harsh words, execution sentence, and I'm sure there's a DPS rotation as well which may differ slightly from a standard tanking rotation.

16k ST is acceptable at 635, I seem to remember being in that region.

7+ Year Old Account
    the two main differences in DPS'ing as a prot is using WoG as a damage dealer when off tanking and when nothing is hurting you. It does far more damage and has a good range on it. During something like mythic progression i would almost just stay as much survivability as possible. If you are farming normal and heroic and more of a casual type opf tanking i would say yeah go for the DPS boost if you can

Quote Originally Posted by Wardemon View Post
    How much should I really worry when it comes to DPS as i tank? I feel like I should worry more with mechanics and staying alive and protecting other players than how much DPS I am doing. The last few times I have Tanked, some players wonder why my dps is low. I usually just do around 10k at ilvl 635. Just trying to see if I am doing right, thanks
    Get yourself logged at Warcraft logs and post here, i'll have a look to see what you need to improve.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardemon View Post
    Your priorities are fine. A tank doing good DPS is completely useless if he doesn't handle his survivability properly. 2k extra dps is meaningless if all your healers are OOM. That said, tank dps definitely helps in raid progression, especially on a fight like The Butcher, so once you're comfortable with an encounter and how to handle the incoming damage, you should definitely try to push up your DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    You should be doing a LOT more.

DPS is important still as a tank. Learn the mechanics, then think about how you can do more damage.
    Beats me how; outside of switch to Seal of Vengeance and using Execution Sentence, there's not much more I can do to make any drastic changes. And in majority of the Heroic pick-ups I'm in, 16-17k is the average.

But again, I'm far from Cutting Edge.

15+ Year Old Account
    Beats me how; outside of switch to Seal of Vengeance and using Execution Sentence, there's not much more I can do to make any drastic changes. And in majority of the Heroic pick-ups I'm in, 16-17k is the average.

Go Crit/Mastery everywhere you can and swap from SW+HS to HA+Seraphim, which is not only insanely better for DPS, but also actually stronger for survival when used properly.
    I'm nowhere near a cutting-edge raider myself, but I constantly do 22-23k on Butcher (at 660).
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by arel00 View Post
    Go Crit/Mastery everywhere you can and swap from SW+HS to HA+Seraphim, which is not only insanely better for DPS, but also actually stronger for survival when used properly.
    I'm nowhere near a cutting-edge raider myself, but I constantly do 22-23k on Butcher (at 660).
    Yeah, I was using Holy Shield for Ashran, but I suppose I can play around with Holy Avenger. Not a fan of it though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I was using Holy Shield for Ashran, but I suppose I can play around with Holy Avenger. Not a fan of it though.
    SW isn't far off number wise anyway if you really dislike HA, certainly not a 6k difference. The only other thing I can advice you to check is HoPo generation and uptimes. Seraphim ideally should be 50%, take it as close as you can. Logging fights and regularly checking uptimes is a good exercise anyway, helps you keep track of things you need to focus more on. Personally I'm fine with SS and very close to the maximum on ShoR, but I tend to lag a bit behind on Sera, so I'm trying to work on that. Even not counting DPS, it's a good source of reference for your play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Deleted
    Stay alive first, DPS second.

I'm around your gear level, here are the logs for our last butcher kill. My trinkets kind of suck as far as dps goes (finally got margok trinky though!) but you should be around my dps range when doing farm content, where you need to squeeze out more deeps to make it go faster / help the healers not be oom.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...pe=damage-done

@OP Just read up on what you should focus on for both survivablity and dps, you should be thinking about both of those things. While survivability is #1 priority, bringing as much dps as possible should be on your mind as much as it should be on the mind of your DPSers. I'm far from the best and I still mess up on some things, but I feel like I'm decent enough that you might get something out of it. Hope it helps.

Deleted
    The idea that survivability and DPS are somehow a tradeoff these days is an excuse used by sub-par players to get away with doing awful DPS as tanks. Apart from replacing SotR with Harsh Words, your optimal rotation in terms of survivability is within 1-2% DPS of your max DPS one. If you're doing terrible DPS compared to other tanks of the same iLvl, it's because your overall play is poor, nothing else.

I mean this absolutely sincerely when I say that the words "I focus on my survivability more than on DPS" read to me as "I'm not fully comfortable playing my class properly". The latter is fine, but excusing it with the former absolutely is not.