Thread: 3ds or Vita?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I've got to say 3DS I have 3 of them and only have had 1 of the Vita and sold it. Honestly our selection of games for the Vita in the US is pretty lackluster imo.

You should just look at what games/features each one has though and make your choice depending on that. If you don't really care for the handheld part of the Vita though just get a PS TV much cheaper and more features.

Well Vita has more real (aka not mobile or indie play for 10 minutes and go on with your life) games, like Killzone, Assassin's Creed, Borderlands with story and actually good 3D graphics. But it's big and these games should be played for longer, so that is not suitable for short commutes.

Although the main reason why I bought Vita - capability to stream my PS4 library while I'm at work or visiting relatives, so during the holidays in the evening when younger members of my family were on their phones checking facebook or tinder or whatever the hell is popular now, I was slaying some monsters in rifts in Diablo 3. Also progressed quite a lot on Battlefield 4 single player campaign while taking a dumps at work.

3DS is smaller, you certainly can keep it in your jacket's pocket and a clam shell factor is also better for a portable device, but so is a mobile phone with GBA emulators for pokemon games...
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

3DS because:

Monster Hunter 3U
    Monster Hunter 4
    Pokemon X,Y, ORAS
    Fire Emblem Awakening
    LoZ: OoT and MM 3D
    Bravely Default
    Smash Bros 3DS

All of which are real games. You could even argue that those two Monster Hunter titles are more real than the above listed Assassins Creed and Borderlands, as they require hundreds of hours of involvement. Actually...nearly all of these listed games are like that save for Smash Bros. So Indev, your argument is completely and utterly flawed.

Vita may be a powerful system with a great display and excellent graphics...but the games are just not there. And the decent games it DOES have tend to also be on other consoles like the PS3.
    Last edited by Keile; 2015-01-13 at 07:20 PM.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    Vita may be a powerful system with a great display and excellent graphics...but the games are just not there. And the decent games it DOES have tend to also be on other consoles like the PS3.
    Danganronpa 1
    Danganronpa 2
    Danganronpa Another Episode
    Persona 4 Golden
    YS Memories of Celceta
    Demon Gaze
    Corpse Party Blood Drive
    Uncharted Golden Abyss
    Killzone Mercenary
    Freedom Wars
    Soul Sacrifice
    Gravity Rush
    Tales of Hearts R
    Tearaway

None of these games are on the PS3(or any other console), and it beats your 3ds list I'm sorry...(doesn't help that you have a few meh games in your list and left out great games... Persona Q, SMTIV, ALBW )
    Last edited by Tech614; 2015-01-13 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Danganronpa 1
    Danganronpa 2
    Danganronpa Another Episode
    Persona 4 Golden
    YS Memories of Celceta
    Demon Gaze
    Corpse Party Blood Drive
    Uncharted Golden Abyss
    Killzone Mercenary
    Freedom Wars
    Soul Sacrifice
    Gravity Rush
    Tales of Hearts R
    Tearaway

None of these games are on the PS3(or any other console), and it beats your 3ds list I'm sorry...
    Doesn't make the games any good. Quality over quantity anyday. Not only that, most of these are extremely niche. Typical animes-style games. It turns a lot of people off (like myself), driving down sales.

But if you want me to expand my list, AND separate sequels to pad it out (like you did)

Pokemon X
    Pokemon Y
    Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
    Pokemon Omega Ruby
    Monster Hunter 3U
    Monster Hunter 4U
    Pheonnix Wright Dual Destinies
    Luigis Mansion
    Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D
    Legend of Zelda Majoras Mask 3D
    Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds
    Super Smash Bros 3DS
    Fire Emblem Awakening
    Bravely Default
    Super Mario 3D World
    Mario Kart 7
    Mario & Luigi Dream Team
    Shin Megami Tensai IV (though not my cup of tea....still widley considered a great game)
    Donkey Kong Country Returns
    Professor Layton titles (Theres at least 3, including the crossover with Pheonix Wright)
    Kid Icarus Uprising.

There's many more, these are just the ones that stand out to me but were also all very widely accepted as excellent titles.
    Last edited by Keile; 2015-01-13 at 07:39 PM.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Danganronpa 8+ both User and Critic scores http://www.metacritic.com/game/plays...er-happy-havoc

Danganronpa 2 8.1 critic and 8.4 user score http://www.metacritic.com/game/plays...oodbye-despair

Danganronpa Another Episode not out in the west yet

Persona 4 Golden 93 critic score and 92 user score http://www.metacritic.com/game/plays...rsona-4-golden

YS Memories of Celceta 82 critic score and 89 user score http://www.metacritic.com/game/plays...ies-of-celceta

Demon Gaze 70 critic score and 74 user score

Corpse Party Blood Drive not out in the west yet

Uncharted Golden Abyss 80 critic score and 73 use score http://www.metacritic.com/game/plays...d-golden-abyss

Killzone Mercenary 78 critic score and 89 user score http://www.metacritic.com/game/plays...zone-mercenary

Freedom Wars 73 critic score and 82 user score http://www.metacritic.com/game/plays...zone-mercenary

Soul Sacrifice 82 critic score and 81 user score http://www.metacritic.com/game/plays...zone-mercenary

Gravity Rush 83 critic score and 85 user score http://www.metacritic.com/game/plays...a/gravity-rush

Tales of Hearts R 76 critic score and 81 user score http://www.metacritic.com/game/plays...es-of-hearts-r

Tearaway 87 critic score and 89 user score http://www.metacritic.com/game/plays...-vita/tearaway

Yea guys, no quality here. Want to compare those scores to your 3ds list?(Hint: the average would be about the same)

Face it..the 3DS linup reaches a much broader range of people than the Vitas more niche titles. While you may enjoy them...it doesn't mean the majority of the people out there do. And the sales help prove this.

Last I checked the 3DS has outsold the Vita by leagues (worldwide. Vita did outsell 3DS on occasion in Japan.)

Technically the Vita is an amazing system. Do not misquote me here, I love what it is capable of doing. But Sony (and third party devs) needs to step it up and reach a BROADER audience with their titles (and drop the price on the thing). That and most of their games are designed as if you were playing on a console at home. The 3DS games, while they feel like a complete experience, are undeniably designed for a handheld. So while the Vita wants to be a mini-portable PS3/PS4....the 3DS wants to be it's own thing altogether.

That is what sets them apart.
    Last edited by Keile; 2015-01-13 at 07:47 PM.

I'm a fan of both systems but to say the vita dosen't have games is 100% not true.

Killzone
    Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc.
    Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
    Killzone: Mercenary
    Borderlands 2 "with 90% of all the dlc just a couple isn't on vita"
    Persona 4 Golden.
    Soul Sacrifice/Soul Sacrifice Delta
    Freedom Wars
    Muramasa Rebirth

Thats just to name a few that is vita exclusive besides BL2.

Ontopic: If u like rpg's and more so Jrpg's then vita will be ur best friend and is great for remote play with the ps4. Personally I say u can't go wrong with ether but if u get a vita get the borderlands bundle it comes with BL2 the slim model vita and a 8gig memory card.

Also the vita is swimming in indle titles.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2015-01-13 at 07:57 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I'm a fan of both systems but to say the vita dosen't have games is 100% not true.

Ontopic: If u like rpg's and more so Jrpg's then vita will be ur best friend and is great for remote play with the ps4. Personally I say u can't go wrong with ether but if u get a vita get the borderlands bundle it comes with BL2 the slim model vita and a 8gig memory card.

Right there, that bolded statement. That is exactly what I was trying to get at. The Vita is great for JRPGs and similar titles, but that is a very niche market. If you are into a wide variety of various genres the way to go is 3DS. Though from a JRPG perspective it has Bravely Default...that game proved that the old-school way of doing JRPGs is still the best way and is a 3DS exclusive (and a sequel is on the way ZOMG!)

Right there, that bolded statement. That is exactly what I was trying to get at. The Vita is great for JRPGs and similar titles, but that is a very niche market. If you are into a wide variety of various genres the way to go is 3DS. Though from a JRPG perspective it has Bravely Default...that game proved that the old-school way of doing JRPGs is still the best way and is a 3DS exclusive (and a sequel is on the way ZOMG!)
    Personally I feel both handhelds have a niche market. So you kinda can't go wrong with owning both.

Vita dose make up for it a little by having TONS of indles but the 3DS has indles as well. U can't go wrong with ether just get what fits ur taste and then the other later.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I hate to break it to you but every single 3ds game you listed outside of the nintendo big 3(pokemon, zelda, mario) are NICHE games.

Keep telling yourself Bravely Default, Fire Emblem, Phoenix Wright and SMTIV are main broad reaching games though...

Also please keep listing Pokemon same gen games as different entities, it really props up your list to the people who know no better

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I hate to break it to you but every single 3ds game you listed outside of the nintendo big 3(pokemon, zelda, mario) are NICHE games.

Keep telling yourself Bravely Default, Fire Emblem, Phoenix Wright and SMTIV are main broad reaching games though...

Also please keep listing Pokemon same gen games as different entities, it really props up your list to the people who know no better
    I listed games from a variety of different Niches, though. That was the point. It reached a lot of different groups.

I listed games from a variety of different Niches, though. That was the point. It reached a lot of different groups.
    Uhh, do you know anything about the games I listed?

Third Person Shooter- Uncharted
    First person shooter- killzone
    Platformer- gravity rush, Tearaway
    Mystery/whodunit- Danganronpa
    Horror- Corpse Party
    First Person Dungeon Crawler- Demon Gaze
    Hunter- Soul Sacrifice, Freedom Wars
    Action JRPG- YS, Tales of Hearts
    Turn Based JRPG- Persona 4 Golden
    Racing- Wipeout

Your argument is weak, you should just fold and admit you didn't have a full understanding of the Vita's game situation. I don't fault you for it, but to keep posting flat out false information in post after post when will it end? You blindly just assumed every single game I listed was a JRPG without having a clue what they are...

I have them both and love them both, as long as there are games on each you enjoy I don't think you can go wrong. The best you can do is really look into the games you would actually play and go with the one that has more/better games for you...obviously personal tastes vary but I have found many great games on both systems many of which have already been listed in this thread.

Another thing to consider is if you have PS+ the monthly games are nice. I've been surprised by a few I never would have bought on my own. Remote play if you have a ps4 is nice but not a reason I would buy the vita personally.

I find the regular size 3ds easier to travel with although the vita does seem surprisingly hardy. If you do go 3ds just be aware the new 3ds is rumored to be coming out February 13th in NA.

Some have mentioned it, and if your interested in getting a 3ds. I would wait until February,

http://kotaku.com/looks-like-the-new...nth-1679277751

Looks like the better version of the 3ds will be releasing then.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cakka View Post
    It's funny how you apparently need to like Japanese games if you get Vita, but not 3ds, when Vita actually gets more western game releases than 3ds.

Anyway I got both, and I like them both. Vita is technologically generation ahead of the 3ds, but doesn't have as strong library of exclusive releases. Both have ton of great games though especially since you can play DS games with 3ds, and ps1/2/psp games digitally on Vita. Also you can play PS4 games remotely on Vita which is definite bonus if you have a PS4. Personally I'd recommend getting both since even together they only cost the same as Xbox One, or PS4 do.

BTW some Neogaf user has awesome thread listing 2015(and just released Vita games)
    Nah man vita has a crap ton of Japanese games you can play, probably the most of any system. About half of them are visual novels though, and 1/3rd of them being of the monster hunter playstyle. It's a great system, but the Vita TV, if you're not really looking for a handheld, may be better, though it won't play all vita games.

Also for that whole game debate. You can get the playstyle of vita games on a PS3 or PS4, hell, some vita games can be cross-bought and cross-played with PS3, buy it once, play it on two consoles, friend on vita, friend on PS3. But the vita has some exclusive games that can't be played on PS3 or PS4. As for the DS, they're still only going for their big titles. And having a Wii-U, I get about 90% of their library, cept for Bravely and Pokemon, which, for me, are not that interesting to me. I didn't grow up with pokemon games, just the collecting and trading card game. Doesn't help that I do enjoy the weird Japanese games that the vita gets, and browsing at the 3ds list of imports, they just don't compare. Also, being able to play some vita games on your TV is a nice bonus (with a 99 dollar accessory of course). My vote, vita all the way. First game you should try is Freedom Wars, different approach to the monster hunter genre.
    Last edited by Clockwork Pinkie; 2015-01-14 at 12:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nintendo has its nice franchises but I think Sony has them beat in overall package and presentation.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't even waste my money on a Vita, it's as good as dead in the water. With the improved 3DS system coming out soon, there is good reason to wait if you want the better version, though like the DSi, I wonder how much support it will get with improved technology. Either way, the Vita library is effectively dead, it has no future and hasn't had one for a while. I used to own one and regret buying it to this day. While the 3DS library isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread, it is way better then the Vita.

10+ Year Old Account
    3DS, because games and a company that has not given up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clockwork Pinkie View Post
    Nah man vita has a crap ton of Japanese games you can play, probably the most of any system. About half of them are visual novels though, and 1/3rd of them being of the monster hunter playstyle. It's a great system, but the Vita TV, if you're not really looking for a handheld, may be better, though it won't play all vita games.

Also for that whole game debate. You can get the playstyle of vita games on a PS3 or PS4, hell, some vita games can be cross-bought and cross-played with PS3, buy it once, play it on two consoles, friend on vita, friend on PS3. But the vita has some exclusive games that can't be played on PS3 or PS4. As for the DS, they're still only going for their big titles. And having a Wii-U, I get about 90% of their library, cept for Bravely and Pokemon, which, for me, are not that interesting to me. I didn't grow up with pokemon games, just the collecting and trading card game. Doesn't help that I do enjoy the weird Japanese games that the vita gets, and browsing at the 3ds list of imports, they just don't compare. Also, being able to play some vita games on your TV is a nice bonus (with a 99 dollar accessory of course). My vote, vita all the way. First game you should try is Freedom Wars, different approach to the monster hunter genre.
    Doesn't the vita just have one monster hunter game?