Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

2014 was it really that bad?

Looking back over 2014 I cant help but think it was a pretty poor year for gaming.

It seems like only Nintendo had the great games. Mario Kart, Donkey Kong and Smash Bros.

Everything else was delayed or broken.

Are we going to get the same for 2015 more broken/delayed games? I hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by Topgunner View Post
    Looking back over 2014 I cant help but think it was a pretty poor year for gaming.

It seems like only Nintendo had the great games. Mario Kart, Donkey Kong and Smash Bros.

Well, that depends heavily on your platform and preferences I suppose....

I mean, as an avid PC gamer I enjoyed Dragon Age: Inquisition and Elite Dangerous quite a lot in the past few months alone.

Besides WoW, I have only purchased two games this year. DA:I ... and I forgot what the other one was. Very few games drew my attention. Very few games were worthy of my attention.

The one thing I normally do when I'm vaguely intruiged, is reading the user scores and the motivations of those scores. I can safely say that I've never read so many negative comments on any amount of games, as this year. There's literally nothing new me and my friends purchased to play together, because everything came out broken, or only with half of what was promised.

Erhhh, it was one of the greatest years gaming has had for years. Sheer amount of games and the diversity of releases was amazing. Fuck, one of the best years in decade.

Divinity: Original Sin
    Wasteland 2
    South Park: Stick of Truth
    WoD
    Hearthstone
    Bayonetta
    GTA V for real devices
    Binding of Isaac - Rebirth
    Shadowrun: Dragonfall
    Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls - much needed saviour to a ruined game
    Dark Souls II
    Alien: Isolation

Fuck I'd continue this list forever, names of both incredible games and good games keep popping into my mind constantly. Anyone saying 2014 was bad in gaming front either has absolutely no fucking clue what was even released or wants to be edgy.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Star View Post
    I haven't played it yet, but the release of dragon age: Inquisition was a pretty huge moment for me as a gamer. The pc version of the inquisitor's edition is waiting for me on my desk back home, I'll start playing it as soon as I get back from China at the end of this month.

But since I've gone completely dark about this game, I have no idea how people who have actually played it feel. The most I've heard is that it's "too much content even for hardcore gamers".
    "Too much content" means you can split that up over different characters. That way you'll have something new to explore on your 2nd or 3rd character as well.

2014, for me, was an amazing year of gaming.

Many games which had terrible launches in 2012/2013 made massive improvements in 2014.
    2014 might have been the most fun I have had gaming, ever.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

The idea that any particular year is "bad" for gaming, music, film or such is rooted on so subjective a set of circumstances as to be useless in general conversation. The assertion is ultimately empty and meaningless.

What is more likely are either or both of the following: 1. observer did not like X,Y and Z* media offerings 2. observer sampled a relatively small portion of X, Y and Z* media offerings.

It is more keen to say, "This year I did not find a lot of games (or records, film, etc) that I enjoyed."

Which does lend itself to a more robust conversation: "Oh, have you tried BLANKY-BLANK? I think you'd dig it, man!" vis-a-vis the declarative position whereby we have deemed the whole of media lacking.

There were many good games, movies, books, records and all sorts of stuff released in 2014. You (majestic plural) likely haven't seen or experienced it all, I haven't either. Though what we like/dislike is not the whole of it.

The other thing to keep in mind is that you (royal again) do not inherently like "good" things. There is no greater expert on what we like than ourselves. Thus it is very easy to fall into positions of evaluation where we think our subjective value and relevance are "good".

I mean of course you like good games. Why would you play bad games? Of course, you like good music. Right?

This is faulty.

While it is okay to like whatever pleases you most, the seduction of believing that the actual thing to which you are attaching value is implicitly greater or weaker than another thing has no basis in the thing having function or value to others.

"Nothing good was made this year!"
    "Transistor was pretty alright..."
    "No it was trash!"

There is no rational conversation to be had in the above. As the first speaker already assumes what he likes is "good" and the subject (Transistor) is bad by virtue of not meeting whatever criteria the first speaker has in mind.

You don't like "good" things. You just like some things more than others.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2015-01-12 at 01:34 PM.

Deleted
    Are we going to get the same for 2015
    Hold on please, I am this close to finish my time machine and then I can give you a definitive answer about the future. :V

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it was a pretty disappointing year for games.

Only games that stand out are WoD and DA3, can't count GTA V. South Park was fun, but I will never play it again and I completed it in like 6 hours.

I've still got Far Cry 4 to play, but it looks like a copy of Far Cry 3.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2015-01-12 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalecgos the Spellweaver View Post
    Hold on please, I am this close to finish my time machine and then I can give you a definitive answer about the future. :V
    So first you steal Malygos spot, and now you're trying to steal Nozdormus job?

I think 2015 will be great, sadly my pc won't be able to play the new titles.

But yeah, 2014 was pretty poor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    ~
    God damn, Fencers, why do you always have to make so much sense.

Anyway, I think 2014 had some nice titles.

Wolfenstein: the New Order surprised me. The telltale game of thrones game, hearthstone, WoD. A lot of good smaller titles (transistor, shovel knight)
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Just to be completely subjective and without providing and proof and arguments regarding my choice like everyone else seems to be doing , it was the best year in gaming since 2002. I have played more good games released this year than any other one year before that. Prove me wrong

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by axell View Post
    Just to be completely subjective and without providing and proof and arguments regarding my choice like everyone else seems to be doing , it was the best year in gaming since 2002. I have played more good games released this year than any other one year before that. Prove me wrong
    It's fine if you think it was a good year, we all have different tastes.

It just so happens that many people are disappointed with 2014.

You weren't, so that's good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    It's fine if you think it was a good year, we all have different tastes.

It just so happens that many people are disappointed with 2014.

You weren't, so that's good for you.
    A few people on this forum does not correspond into many. Even on these forums the majority claimed the opposite. One is your personal opinion but when you start using absolutes then it becomes a problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    A few people on this forum does not correspond into many. Even on these forums the majority claimed the opposite. One is your personal opinion but when you start using absolutes then it becomes a problem.
    I'm not using this forum as a basis for my judgement, I am using my friends and 2014 game reviews from youtube.

May as well just add that Nintendo are also not included in my opinion.

Where did the majority on this forum claim the opposite?
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2015-01-12 at 02:26 PM.

I'm not using this forum as a basis for my judgement, I am using my friends and 2014 game reviews from youtube.

May as well just add that Nintendo are also not included in my opinion.

Where did the majority on this forum claim the opposite?
    Then isn;t it better and less inflammatory to just say : "This year I did not find a lot of games (or records, film, etc) that I enjoyed." ? as Fencers put it than state it was a disappointing year for games and MANY people agree? You don't know if it was a disappointing year for games, nor do you know if MANY people agree( in the context of gaming as a whole).

10+ Year Old Account
    Then isn;t it better and less inflammatory to just say : "This year I did not find a lot of games (or records, film, etc) that I enjoyed." ? as Fencers put it than state it was a disappointing year for games and MANY people agree? You don't know if it was a disappointing year for games, nor do you know if MANY people agree( in the context of gaming as a whole).
    Why do you have a hard time accepting that many think 2014 was a bad year for gaming?

Over hyping is the main problem.
    ESO and WS both flopped, Lolage.
    Watchdogs was a massive failure.
    Thief was terrible.
    Assassins Creed...
    The Evil Within
    Destiny (Game has good gameplay, but even Twilight had a better story)
    Titanfall
    The Sims
    Simulator games everywhere

Broken releases
    Delayed releases
    Early access getting way out of control (one could argue it already was)
    Ubisoft becoming the new EA

I could go on, but I'm bored now.

Deleted
    Why do you have a hard time accepting that many think 2014 was a bad year for gaming?

Over hyping is the main problem.
    ESO and WS both flopped, Lolage.
    Watchdogs was a massive failure.
    Thief was terrible.
    Assassins Creed...
    The Evil Within
    Destiny (Game has good gameplay, but even Twilight had a better story)
    Titanfall
    The Sims
    Simulator games everywhere

Broken releases
    Delayed releases
    Early access getting way out of control (one could argue it already was)
    Ubisoft becoming the new EA

I could go on, but I'm bored now.
    i would argue that Titanfall was a good game, but no replayability, just like the normal CoD game you have nowadays, where the playerbase dies out after a little while

Same like 2013, just no really exceptional Games.

These Games were pretty good, but not quite great. Obviously all only on PC!
    - Dark Souls 2
    - Wolfenstein
    - South Park: Stick of Truth
    - Shadow of Mordor
    - Dragon Age: Inquisition
    - NBA2K15

Can't wait for GTA5 and Witcher 3 in 2015!