Deleted

Another Returning Player - Story Question

Hi guys, I'm bored of WoD so have just bought the Revan expansion so will be coming back to ToR. I'd like to start a fresh character and slow level though and was wondering if any of the class stories which I havent levelled to 50 are particularly worth experiencing (including playing the opposite alignment). I've completed the following class stories on the following alignments:

Sith Warrior - Light and Dark
    Sith Assassin - Dark
    Bounty Hunter - Light
    Imperial Agent - Light
    Jedi Knight - Light
    Jedi Consular - Light

I've been tempted by Smuggler, but I think I heard people say it was pretty boring. Is a DS JK worth playing? Or is the story pretty much the same as lightside. I thought SW actually played better as light.

Also is the new talent system easy to pick up? I logged on very briefly and the optional talents seemed a bit pointless. Are the DPS subspecs pretty even DPS wise?

Smuggler has a really fun Chapter 1, Chapter 2 is decent but Chapter 3 (IMO) is just too far out there and unbelievable.

Dark Side Knight is just weird because unlike the Empire which just thinks you're getting answers a different way and making allies by not being a murdering psychopath (DS), a Dark Side Knight is actively going against the Jedi Code and gets called out on it all the time. The voice actor for male knight also doesn't lend himself well to dark side choices IMO.

Talent system is really easy to pick up... you don't choose where to put the points that REALLY matter. You get those by default as you level up. The optional talents are pretty nice, but you do have to read them carefully and compare against your skill list... If I'm not completely bonkers (which is possible) there are options in the talent list for abilities some disciplines don't even use or have access to so picking that talent would be useless.

2 tips, in the first tier, pick the talent that increases the damage of your AoE ability and the one that gives you resources for being knocked down, thrown, stunned, etc.... no one plans on that but it happens a LOT so that one gets a lot of use.

I've played a neutral though heavily light sided bounty hunter and was reallyvsurprised with how it went, it starts as a revenge story but later it grows and build up really nice, if you like the movie and comic feel about bounty hunters expect a campaign filled with marks for you to take down, specially really important targets which you'll end up suffering the repercussions of it and how to follow and build your code of honor. Also you get a freaking Jawa companion and the most awesome quick witted and funny girl as a romance option. And that devil gossiper guy from the Angel series.

Light-sided Inquisitor is fascinating. You often meet people that are just completely stunned to meet a sith that is actually honorable.

Also you have to play a female trooper, simply because its Commander Sheppard in Star Wars pretty much.

As a side-question, I've noticed that the cost for respeccing your discipline seems to be very cheap vs the old skill point reset cost. Does it ever increases if you switch around too much?

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

As a side-question, I've noticed that the cost for respeccing your discipline seems to be very cheap vs the old skill point reset cost. Does it ever increases if you switch around too much?
    I've never played this as F2P, as a subscriber it's always free.

Deleted
    About the new talent system: Imagine them like the wow talents, only that these are all passives (some of which may have been in the talent trees of olde). Not really interesting, but not bad either.

Also, Lana Beniko is hot

Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    SNip...

Also, Lana Beniko is hot
    I know this is off topic but I got to disagree.

That chick looks like she has the flu and can't get well.

I don't know about story(since I haven't played past DK on it), but if you make a female sith sorc and choose all the snarky/sarcastic convo choices she has some of the most hilarious responses to things. I went with a twi-lek and it seemed to fit the voice actor perfectly.

The story of the smugglers might not be the best, but the lines a male smuggler gets are the best in the game imo. You really are taking the piss out of people every 3 sentences, which is why I managed to finish that story first .

Quote Originally Posted by Skulletor View Post
    I've been tempted by Smuggler, but I think I heard people say it was pretty boring. Is a DS JK worth playing? Or is the story pretty much the same as lightside. I thought SW actually played better as light.

Also is the new talent system easy to pick up? I logged on very briefly and the optional talents seemed a bit pointless. Are the DPS subspecs pretty even DPS wise?
    I wouldn't say it's boring, it just feels very disjointed. It's Chapter 1 - Perfectly fine. Chapter 2 - Kind of out of the blue, but ok. Chapter 3 - ... how does THAT follow 1 and 2? I don't think DS is worth playing tbh, it comes of as comically evil half the time. As in evil just for the sake of being evil even though it's painfully obvious that choice is actively harmful and/or plain stupid.

You haven't played Trooper and Smuggler, honestly I'd pick Trooper, at least the storyline is consistent (if not overly imaginative).

The new system is VERY easy to pick up. For some classes you can pick at random and you won't notice much difference. I'm not saying it's a good thing but there it is.

The best stories in my opinion in order are:

1. Agent
    2. Knight
    3. Warrior

After these three there is a significant drop in quality, but the stories are still very good:

4. Smuggler
    5. Trooper

And after those two, there is another large drop in quality, but the stories are still good. They are good, just not what I would consider Bioware quality:

6. Consular
    7. Inquisitor

And then finally there is another large drop in quality down to the only story that I actually consider bad:

8. Bounty Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    Light-sided Inquisitor is fascinating. You often meet people that are just completely stunned to meet a sith that is actually honorable.

Also you have to play a female trooper, simply because its Commander Sheppard in Star Wars pretty much.

My female Trooper is seriously one of my favorite characters in any game ever, not a small part because of this

I don't know if you can really judge which story is "better" than another because it's really personal preference. Like a lot of people rave about the Imp Agent storyline and it does nothing for me at all. I enjoyed Trooper a lot, and like the quoted poster said I have a full-Light Sith Assassin who is pretty interesting too. I haven't got too far into BH storyline yet but I am liking that one a lot too.

Edit -- Hah, see the reply right above mine for proof of "best" being subjective, they have a totally opposite opinion of mine
    No surrender! 70 Vanguard - The Star Forge

Quote Originally Posted by Vajarra View Post
    My female Trooper is seriously one of my favorite characters in any game ever, not a small part because of this

I don't know if you can really judge which story is "better" than another because it's really personal preference. Like a lot of people rave about the Imp Agent storyline and it does nothing for me at all. I enjoyed Trooper a lot, and like the quoted poster said I have a full-Light Sith Assassin who is pretty interesting too. I haven't got too far into BH storyline yet but I am liking that one a lot too.

Edit -- Hah, see the reply right above mine for proof of "best" being subjective, they have a totally opposite opinion of mine
    This is actually really true. And I think a LOT of the reason for it is because there's a LOT of personalization that goes into each playthrough. You're choosing a look for your character with all the different races available. You're choosing light or dark. You're choosing what companion. You're choosing which conversation choice.

So with all that, even though the story has the same core elements, you might play it with a completely different experience than someone else. So it's kind of hard to say one story is better than another. You're just gonna have to play through a bit and see what you like.

The first character I made in the game was a Trooper, and that is still the character I use the most. I've read online that people don't really like the trooper story, but so far (I'm level 40, I stopped playing for a while) it is really interesting. I went full light side, and its been enjoyable. Dark side is usually a bit more interesting, but I have yet to try it. I would recommend giving the trooper a go.

I enjoyed the trooper over all. I like CH 1 the best, CH. 2 not so great and then Ch 3 was good again.

I had more fun with commando than vanguard but of course like the story, to each their on when it comes to enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    The best stories in my opinion in order are:

1. Agent
    2. Knight
    3. Warrior

After these three there is a significant drop in quality, but the stories are still very good:

4. Smuggler
    5. Trooper

And after those two, there is another large drop in quality, but the stories are still good. They are good, just not what I would consider Bioware quality:

6. Consular
    7. Inquisitor

And then finally there is another large drop in quality down to the only story that I actually consider bad:

8. Bounty Hunter.
    Inquisitor as number seven? What were you smoking when you played that storyline!? It's easily one of the best ones in the game, ranking right up there with Agent, Knight, and Warrior. The fact that you even put Consular above it (Consular is by far one of the most boring and bland stories in the game...especially if you play as full light side through it), shows you didn't really pay attention to anything.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Inquisitor should be right up there, on place 2. - if not 1.
    Bounty Hunter is not bad imo, it's just something else than the others.

I really been enjoying my sith warrior and sith sorcerer I went dark on both and have had a blast