10+ Year Old Account

Any knowledgeable tax people

Have a question about filing my taxes. Usually me and my wife file seperately and she claims the four kids. I havent claimed my taxes in quite some time because i dont make enough and dont have to. But my question is who can and will take income moneyif i were to file jointly this year? What I know so far is that only government and and state agencies can garnish money (i believe). now i have a loan from some tears back that i took out with a company outside my base, they cater to military families but prety sure its not a government owned place so i should be ok there. My only other concern is a past student loan for around 1200 dollars its been about 8 years since then and its went into default and then got handed over to some other company. so since like the state company which would be like salie mae or somethin l;ike that since they pretty much gave that debt to some other company does that mean that debt would now be considered owned by a private company, and thus i shouldnt have to worry about as far as taxes go. Side notes im no longer in the service if that matters to anything, and im sure the most responsible thing is to go ahead bite the bullet and take care of my debts and i understand that but this year we are really depending on this return for a job move and we need as much as we can get back. Sorry for horrible writing.
    Semper Fi

10+ Year Old Account
    Do not ask anyone here about taxes. Seriously, take it to a tax professional face to face, and with all your documents in order

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    Do not ask anyone here about taxes. Seriously, take it to a tax professional face to face, and with all your documents in order
    Mainly this, but in order for anyone to actually give you an answer they'd likely have to know way more details than you'd likely be willing to give an internet stranger.

Plus I technically think asking for legal advice (which taxes are) is against MMO-C rules.

Have you been working at all? Threshold for filing is like $10k a year.
    Yes, it's possible for private creditors to garnish your STATE tax refund, under certain circumstances.
    It's really complicated and I'd ask a pro.