Deleted

Best spec for PvP?

I'm leaning towards combat but don't know if it's good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by sarethen View Post
    I'm leaning towards combat but don't know if it's good enough?
    Personally i think sub is but i prefer assassination more. Im really wanting to see how different the specs will turn out because of gear and scaling. So im guessing im looking for the same answers because i can work with all 3 specs.

All three work, depends on what you are doing though and what your comp is. I would say that Subt has a slight edge due to having more options on the table at any given point, and Combat is probably the weakest, especially vs other rogues. Assn is so easy to play though, you may want to start there until you get comfortable with mechanics of all classes.
    Last edited by shaithis; 2015-01-12 at 06:43 PM.
    Ragnar-Os! The only cereal with the Molten Core!
    BY FIBER BE PURGED!
    TASTE THE FLAVORS OF SULFURON!
    TWO SCOOPS, EXECUTUS! TWO SCOOPS!

I've been really liking combat. Easier to play than sub and can put out a ton of pressure. Sub has 1 min cd burst windows that do a ton of damage though. Assass is good pressure too. Depends on your partner if you are arenaing, or how you like to play.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    What are the stat priorities for a Combat PvP spec? is it just the same as PvE?

Quote Originally Posted by Estocire View Post
    What are the stat priorities for a Combat PvP spec? is it just the same as PvE?
    Ive been using mastery>crit>multi. Thats what nessper says.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Ive been using mastery>crit>multi. Thats what nessper says.
    I thought haste was by far the best stat for Combat, or does that only apply to PvE?

First off. There is no "best spec". The only problem with assassination is that it's damage window is very easily countered and u are locked to a target and in general it's a very high up-time spec moreso than combat because of how envenom works. Sin is just a very sustained dmg spec which the only comp I could see it work is in RLD ( Rogue Lock rDruid ).

Now the big boys. Combat is more flexbile ( and way easier ) in terms of what comps actually go well with the spec. I mean you wont see any Sub/Ret/Rdruid on the ladder but you will see that setup with combat. Sub atm really only works very well with RMD ( this can be done with combat also ), RMP ( if played to Mirlol's RMP level, tho RMD is superior), RMPala ( not the best but u can reach 2.6k+ with it ), Thug Cleave ( MM hunter so you can actually finish people off ). Sub is also way harder to master and really learn how to take advantage of Shadow Dance besides just spamming your PvE rotation on a player every min.

It's really up to you. Combat does very good dmg and the spec is anything but bad or "dead" after the 8 sec kindey nerf ( besides common sense and basic logic, EU ladder confirms this ). It's the easier spec for sure but if you like the playstyle, who cares? Sub atm is for the more hardcore rogues that have been playing for a long time and can pick and choose their teammates. Because unless u play Subtlety specific comps, not many teams would want you.

I think every spec is viable for PvP if you're not going to world first rogue. Assassination is okay for me.

Try getting people to play with you to push rating in 3s and say your assassination and see how that goes. If your not combat or Sub with High Exp Achievs no one will even look at you.

Im stuck doing 2s as mutilate I stopped playing with a disc priest and we achieved over 1800 rating. Now im floating around 1500 playing with randoms from trade and they always ridicule me for playing mutilate like thats what is leading us to lose. Most people dont seem interested in using skype or pushing rating in 2s because of how unbalanced it can be you eventually start versing nothing but geared DK teams usually DK healer and that 1 DK can do as much dps as the both of you unless on your team is also a DK/Ret/Or feral.

No one will do 3s, Tried 3s with a lock and shaman first week of the xpac as soon as I was honor geared it went horribly but it was our first time playing together then we never picked it back up. Im not any good im saying but the weakest link was the shaman he behaved as if he had never healed before and wouldnt call anything out. Lock knew his stuff, 2200 achievs called stuff out.

truth is unless your a god at the class mutilate is pretty shit and even if you are your better off playing Combat or sub.

Mutilates burst is a joke. Vendetta.. your lucky if you can get 6 seconds of uptime with it rather than the total 20 seconds, cant swap to someone else once you have blown it. 2 minute wait to get it back.

That shit sucks as sub or combat you can Pop a spree/dance and by the time you need it again you will get it back.

Combat's wait for the 2 minutes on spree is really never 2 minutes thanks to a passive. Dance is a short 1 minute cooldown. Vendetta is 2 with no way to reduce it, it lasts a long time but how often do you get 20 seconds of straight uptime on a target in pvp?

vendetta and seal fate are gimping the spec as is the dependence it has on deadly poison for damage.

Without being able to use wound poison, having a clunky CD like vendetta and RNG mechanic based on Crit chance to generate extra points is holding the spec back.
    Last edited by Packing an i5; 2015-01-14 at 04:11 AM.

Deleted
    SebastianRooks described it quite well. Main problems with Assassination are that you have to either give up Wound Poison (huge issue if you don't have someone else with MS effect) or give up lots of DPS by not using Deadly Poison. Burst is also very clunky on Assassination.

Combat is currently the to-go spec because its burst is basically unpreventable. You just wait for red buff and then you have 15s to use Killing Spree on someone. Killing spree itself makes you untargetable and unpeelable, nothing the opponent can do against that and 15s are so long that they can't even chain-CC you before you can use Killing Spree. If you have high uptime on your target Killing Spree can also be up around once every minute just like Shadow Dance for Sub.

People say that Sub has more utility than combat but I really can't see why. It has more DoT damage and a short burst CD if your uptime is not that high, but that's it basically. Aside from that the spec is harder to play because Shadow Dance an be peeled more easily. Even with trinket up and stuff opponents can CC you for like 4-6 seconds out of the 8 seconds Dance will last. A single DK grip can already cost you 2-3 seconds of your burst window and so on. Also have to use energy and combo points for burst while Killing Spree is completely free of cost.

Combat has quite a bit more to offer than just 8s Kidney. Thus it stays the strongest PvP spec even after the nerf.

Been playing Combat lately (I mostly play RBG, hate arena, always have).

And the only thing I miss is the on command burst you have with Sub (Just press Dance and dance away). While with Combat you really want that Red buff before you start, however, the way you can lock someone down with Combat is just too fun. 5CP + Revealing Strike -> ShR -> wait about 2 seconds -> 6sec KS -> ShR KS all while you blast them down with a Killing Spree inside a Smokebomb. There is no healer that can survive it if they used their CD first, but then again - you can do the same thing with a good Dance as Sub + you can Sap someone else while doing it.

In the end, it is all a matter of taste really. As mentioned - play what you enjoy, and be good at it. Unless you want to aim for best rogue in the world, I doubt it will matter that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore