Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Yeah, those people that can't afford to have Chemo to take out a tumour should curl up and die like the peasants that they are, correct? (that's sarcasm, by the way).

The government has a duty to secure a healthy and acceptably comfortable standard of living for all citizens. I know this might be an alien concept to you, but a proper government takes care of its citizens equally. (and that isn't sarcasm)
    See you seem to think that because I am against ACA that I must be some right wing nut paid by insurance companies. Someone cant possibly be against the ACA for good reasons? If I dont fall in line I am not a good little soldier? You know what would have been a better system? To expand medicaid to all US citizens and raise taxes to cover it. Not this idiotic ACA plan with all its little nuances. Taxing people with cadillac plans? WTF is that about? I thought the goal was to get people to have good health plans? But if your plan is too good, you get punished? The ACA is stupid. The Republicans are stupid for offering a similar plan in the 90's and the Democrats are stupid for signing onto the stupid plan now.

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    See you seem to think that because I am against ACA that I must be some right wing nut paid by insurance companies. Someone cant possibly be against the ACA for good reasons? If I dont fall in line I am not a good little soldier? You know what would have been a better system? To expand medicaid to all US citizens and raise taxes to cover it. Not this idiotic ACA plan with all its little nuances. Taxing people with cadillac plans? WTF is that about? I thought the goal was to get people to have good health plans? But if your plan is too good, you get punished? The ACA is stupid. The Republicans are stupid for offering a similar plan in the 90's and the Democrats are stupid for signing onto the stupid plan.
    Isn't that what Obama proposed before he decided to "negotiate" with the Republicans (who weren't interested in making ANY deal at all)? A proper single-payer healthcare system.

There was a piece on NPR a few days ago with a Danish scientist who developed a new way to culture bacteria and essentially stumbled on a new class of antibiotics that have a different method of action which are proving to bypass the ability to be resisted. So OP, /thread?

http://sciencenordic.com/scientists-...ss-antibiotics

Here's one of the links, and below is a link to the All Things Considered radio segment, and as I understand there was an article in the publication Nature in the past several weeks as well.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2015...angerous-germs

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Isn't that what Obama proposed before he decided to "negotiate" with the Republicans (who weren't interested in making ANY deal at all)? A proper single-payer healthcare system.
    I am not arguing what what was proposed. I am arguing what was passed. If they didnt need Republican votes they should have passed what they wanted and not what they "negotiated".

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    What plan do you fucking have? Because even before the ACA went into affect, the cheapest policy I could get as a healthy individual was around $100 a month, and that was essentially a "You won't go bankrupt, but it's not going to really cover shit."

Like, sorry to sound rude, but that sounds completely unbelievable, especially with the requirements for plans nowadays. Unless you're being insanely heavily subsidized by the government.
    I don't know what plan you have, but through my work I have a plan that pays me money into an HSA (about 140 dollars a month is what they pay me) and I don't pay a monthly premium. The only downside is my deductible for my family (me, my wife, and any children - currently have one child) is 6,000 dollars before they start paying 80/20, with my max out of pocket being 10,000 dollars.

Since we're all healthy individuals (don't drink, smoke, etc) we aren't too worried about that. We're just happy we pay 0 dollars a month and get money into a health savings account.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Quote Originally Posted by Sivick View Post
    walk it off. The GOP health care plan at it's finest.
    It has nothing to do with the GoP I'm not at all aligned with any political party.

Humans are getting weaker and weaker and it's becoming more and more disgusting.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivick View Post
    There is no capitalism or a free market in health care because you are being held hostage. It's "buy this medicine or die" and that's not an option.
    Unless the doctor gave you that disease, NO, you're not "being held hostage". He didn't create the problem for you and not all medical conditions lead to death.

And nobody is saying that shit about farmers, even though you die much faster without food than without medicine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Unless the doctor gave you that disease, NO, you're not "being held hostage". He didn't create the problem for you and not all medical conditions lead to death.

And nobody is saying that shit about farmers, even though you die much faster without food than without medicine.
    one of the conditions of a free market is that the consumer is able to reject the product.
    They are not, ergo, it can never be a free market.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post

Food is a little bit easier to come by though. I don't think I could hunt for my cancer treatment medication in the nearby woods.

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    Here's what I want to know about it...the other day one of my friends who lives in Holland told me about how her healthcare costs were up to like 130 euros per month. I find that hard to believe because she's paying more than I am and I have one of the more expensive plans from the best provider in the USA, plus my wife and two children are on it.

It seems to go against everything I've ever been told on these types of forums that somebody in Europe would be paying more for health insurance than me, especially considering I have an entire family on my plan and she's single.
    Your friend from the Netherlands is correct. I pay a little less but 130 is not out of the ordinary. That is the standard package with some additional packages for things like physical therapy. Everybody thinks it is a dumb system and too expensive and now you Americans are stuck with a similar thing.

However, we came from the opposite direction. A NHS style system where everything was paid through taxes. There were some problems with waiting lists etc. in the 90's and early 00's we budgetted more and more of our taxes to remove it but then we kind of met with the problem that it was impossible to keep the high level in the future with the baby boomers checking out in (then) 10-20 years. So they decided to be proactive and change it to the system we have now.
    And they sold it to the people by saying that hospitals would have to compete against each other to lower prices, medicine companies would have to compete, health insurers would have to compete. Obviously with oversight from the government. It would probably not cost us more because of "market-corrections" (or whatever the right word is).

The basic package in 2006 (that everybody needs to have) was roughly €1060 per year with €155 own risk per year. Currently we are at around €1350 with €375 own risk and a lot of the stuff that used to be in the basic package has been taken out over the years. I believe it was in 2013 that they took all but the most basic physical theraphy out of the package. And stuff like dental etc. has been gone for a long time already. So for what you got in 2006 for €1060 per year is now what your friend pays at €1560 a year. So basically a 50% increase in cost over 9 years. So, that is what you can look forward to

Edit: and don't forget that this is just part of what we pay for healthcare. There is also a part incorporated into taxes. Which is the second largest budgetitem, about 28% of the total expenditure.
    Last edited by Bolson13; 2015-01-15 at 04:37 PM.