15+ Year Old Account

I am happy with disc

Curious, there must be more people out there who are content with disc play style.
    I don't care if shields are 80% of my healing. I don't see myself as a healer. I see myself more as damage prevention. This is really unique, it could almost be a class of its own.

I guess people who want to heal should choose holy spec? It sure is a versatile spec with "stances" for aoe, single target healing and even dps. Would going holy really make you miss penance that much?

There is a lot of negativity but we all know that angry people are most vocal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    This is really unique, it could almost be a class of its own.
    I think you mean it could be a role of its own. That isn't a good thing.

I guess people who want to heal should choose holy spec?
    This isn't about people wanting to heal. It is about realising that a healer that has 80% of its power locked up in absorbs isn't tenable with the current healing and damage model.

10+ Year Old Account
    ... I don't see myself as a healer. I see myself more as damage prevention. This is really unique...
    ... I guess people who want to heal should choose holy spec? ...
    I also love having the Mitigation aspect to our healing. It's that unique feel that makes me not want to go holy.

But I also want to use more than one button. I want meaningful interactions, or at least some decision making.

I loved the option to DPS during periods of low damage, but both the damage and healing output from that are pathetic now. And even though it had that ridiculous group-only mechanic, Prayer of Healing provided an AoE-healing alternative, and Binding Heal was a fun way to squeeze out more efficiency per cast, but now the first is useless compared to more shield spam and the second is gone.

The reduction in options--in having different rotations to respond to different situations--has made the spec less fun. It might be true that it's the angry people who speak loudest ... but there's also plenty of people like me I'm sure, who don't post but watch others flesh out the issues, in hope that maybe Blizzard notices and reacts accordingly.

I don't care if shields are 80% of my healing. I don't see myself as a healer. I see myself more as damage prevention. This is really unique, it could almost be a class of its own.
    This isn't really a good thing. If you have a powerful, unique ability that only one class (or spec) possesses, then you all but make that class mandatory in raids.

I don't know if disc shields are THAT powerful right now, but it's not hard to imagine a world in which they could be. As shields grow in strength, damage has to grow with it, and if the shields are as powerful as pre-nerf PW:S shields could grow to be then that damage would end up being so monstrous that it would be almost impossible to deal with without shields. Which would make disc mandatory.

There certainly was a lot of that crap back in MoP, with several fights going from very difficult to completely trivial with the addition of a disc priest, who could simply stack shields on everyone to pre-emptively block most of the damage that without those shields almost killed everyone. It was a very unhealthy mechanic.

Curious, there must be more people out there who are content with disc play style.

I guess people who want to heal should choose holy spec? It sure is a versatile spec with "stances" for aoe, single target healing and even dps. Would going holy really make you miss penance that much?

You really don't get it. As long as so much of your healing is an absorb it will never be balanced. Which is why they said Pre-WoD they would "tone abosorbs down".

The thing about Disc is that, even though PW:S does 80% of our healing, it's not like we are sitting there doing nothing but spamming bubbles. We have all kinds of things to manage in order to enable PW:S to be powerful. Archangel is a super interesting part of the spec, considering it has multiple effects.

I tried out disc in MoP and I just didn't enjoy it for some reason. I play one now and I'm liking how it plays a lot. Just a personal preference though, no idea why.

The only thing that irks me is how you don't want more than 1 of them, or at least a lot of raid groups don't want more than 1 of them. So if you ever decide to look for a new guild for whatever reason, your options can be more limited than say if you were another healer that can play nice with other healers. I've heard about people using double disc before and heard it can be fine if you just assign them to certain groups and such, but it doesn't seem to be a widespread thing.

15+ Year Old Account
    I use a lot more spells than PW:S.

Clarity of Will is about 25% and PW:S is around 45-50%.
    Penance, Cascade and other heals account for the rest (about 25%) which is fine in my opinion considering my primary role is to prevent damage.

Our druid has about the same healing done with rejuvenation than I am with my PW:S.
    Put me as raid healer and it's not gonna go well. But you don't see me whining about how our druid is op on raid healing.

Deleted
    Don't tell anyone on these forums, they'll hunt you down no joke. It's cool to hate disc on mmo champion!!!

People just look at the meters and say qq disc is top. If you actually play a disc in a extremely weak healer team you realize the following things:

You cannot aoe heal.
    You cannot single target heal other than triage.
    We mitigate damage, then rely on our other healers to heal up the damage taken and when people don't do their jobs properly that is a terrifying thing because we are not in control of peoples health at all as long as they have weakened soul debuff, and penance is on cooldown.

Unless you want to spend 11k of your mana on poh to try to attempt to raid heal without the empowered archangel buff, we are literally nothing in the grand scheme of things.

If we ever get a short duration fight where there are high amounts of constant damage and every other healer has to use their cooldowns in a quick burst, let's see how much you guys cry when you realize we can't even come close to their hps on the meters.

Deleted
    If we ever get a short duration fight where there are high amounts of constant damage and every other healer has to use their cooldowns in a quick burst, let's see how much you guys cry when you realize we can't even come close to their hps on the meters.
    So, trash before Imperator's room?

People just look at the meters and say qq disc is top. If you actually play a disc in a extremely weak healer team you realize the following things:
    It would therefore be better for PW:S to be nerfed and some of our other spells buffed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycheh View Post
    Simple 0% overheal PW:S spam would easily be able to keep up with the other healers in this situation.

One thing that bugs me about disco is there is no real raid CD. Sure we get barrier but that requires people to stand in it and its not shown as something positive we did to the meter whores. They could change barrier to be a self AoE cast out from the priest that gives a barrier shield to people with in 8 yards or whatever. Instant raid bubble the abosorbs whatever dmg. Same principle as our barrier now but it could be accounted for. That and why the hell doesnt disc have any sort of ground heal?? They took away our renew, but have nothing else to give some sort of HoT with. Make it Powerword: Ring or something and heck it could tick heals or tick tiny bubbles w/e.

Nerf PWS, that i understand and im with the 90% of people on here on that we need something else to do. I loved bubble botting in WoLK, but we have been there done that lets try something new. We need a real raid CD, (why did they take hymn away anways), a ground casted heal wouldnt be too far fetch since just about everyone else has one, not even going to both with PoH not being group based cause lord knows that wont change.... there are so many ideas out there that could be small to some but give us something more to bring to the table then PWS.

Heroic fights i am usually just casting PWS, CoW on tanks and letting the other healers heal the raid. Bubble the raid that fails to mechanics, but mainly just tank shielding.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxham View Post
    One thing that bugs me about disco is there is no real raid CD. Sure we get barrier but that requires people to stand in it and its not shown as something positive we did to the meter whores.
    25% dmg reduction for 10 seconds on everyone in it doesn't feel like a good raid cd to you? I think you have other issues if you're worried about what meter whores are saying. Our throughput is insane on the meters regardless of if barrier displays on there or not. Could you imagine how inflated our numbers would be if barrier counted as an absorb on the meters?

Quote Originally Posted by Tycheh View Post
    Don't tell anyone on these forums, they'll hunt you down no joke. It's cool to hate disc on mmo champion!!!

People just look at the meters and say qq disc is top.
    I think this is the problem, people don't understand that disc is balanced around mythic content and not LFR/normal/heroic where the damage going out is minimal.

this post is useless, the debate isn't about absorbs being boring, it's about feeling like a retarded idiot spamming one button for the whole raid.
    disc was actually fun to play in mop and cata.

Quote Originally Posted by kouby View Post
    this post is useless, the debate isn't about absorbs being boring, it's about feeling like a retarded idiot spamming one button for the whole raid.
    disc was actually fun to play in mop and cata.
    The solution to the lack of anything meaningful to do besides Penance on CD, and PW:S, was supposed to be Atonement, but then people whined and it got nerfed underground.

That mechanic got reworked and applied to Mistweavers for their (Limited) benefit. It's a good mechanic, provides something logical to do to boost your output, adds two spells to your hotbar that aren't used otherwise, and charges up a short CD that can be cycled back in for more, or applied to your direct healing instead. That sounds like a toolkit worth using, but the mechanic was all but removed come WoD, rather than being balanced into a part of the rotation for low damage to save mana and provide something to do while those shields are up.

The idea OUGHT to be, Shield up the guy getting wailed on, use borrowed time to enhance output of damage spells, which double to heal up the damage already taken while the shield is evaporating, and pop AA to improve your direct healing until the next shield, rinse and repeat for as long as you don't need to move or use CDs.

Possible suggestions to put Disc back into a reasonable position where direct healing, atonement, and shields are all components of a working system that is neither mandatory for a raid nor unspecced for the more balanced toolkit Holy enjoys:

Rather than healing based on damage, could we see Atonement just apply a new effect?

Each 'burst' from Atonement could reinforce PW:S's shield amount rather than healing, or we could unhook it from the damage of the spell and make the resulting healing throttled or tuned based on how many stacks of Evangelism you have, more stacks is more healing, damage is irrelevant, and the healing isn't "DPS to heal and top charts" it's choosing to cast each spell based on wanting that specific effect. Holy Fire and Smite -could- be simple AoE heals that are focused on their target, emphasizing the role of Atonement for choosing -where- to heal, not whom. This also fits with the theme of Holy Nova, PW:B, and weaving in PoM fits magnificiently with that theme.

Best of all? It makes the most sense with the way raid encounters tend to work, so even tuned relatively low to other healers, the specialty of Discipline is low overhealing... hmm.. sounds disciplined?

This is my first character i'm leveling without boosts in a long time. I have her at level 60, and i love being disc.

I am not happy at all.

They removed everything that made Priest interesting. Right now, disc is just not viable at all (not that holy is any better). The fact that they decided to nerf the most underpowered healer as well shows Blizzard has absolutely lost any sense about what they are doing.