Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

New big MMOs in 2015

I just wonder, are there going to be any new big MMOs released in 2015?

In 2014, two big MMOs that came out were Wildstar and TESO - both games were overhyped and really disappointing for most of the players.

So what's in store in 2015 for us - MMO fans?

I don't understand the obsession with "new" MMOs when games like Elderscolls, Warframe, Firefall, Neverwinter, Starwars, ect, keep making such dramatic improvements.

I mean, it's one thing if there's an MMO coming out that adds something to the genre like new ideas, systems, features, combat mechanics, ect, but new isn't anything great in and of itself.

For example, Wildstar added very little to the MMO genre because it aimed to create a collage of old features and improve upon them. That... was very boring.

Elder Scrolls tried some new things but failed to execute a lot of them well, which they have improved upon post launch.

I want something to come out that changes the discourse around MMOs, like Everquest Next not having leveling.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Deleted
    Maybe Tree of Saviour, the spritiual successor to Ragnarok Online. But I don't even know if it'll get a Western release and I certainly don't know if that type of game is for people who usually like games like WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    Black Desert probably, but isn't it coming out in 2016 in the west?
    2015 and black desert is currently not turning out that great. It's mostly a PvP game and mobs are just punching bags, with little world bosses they have just one shot melee.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Somewhat impossible for a game to be "overhyped". Consumers might be, in a sense. Though the marketing department would very likely be a bust if it "underhyped" a product.

I think Everquest Next might see a beta by the end of the year. Likely the most mass market significant MMO in 2015. Stuff like Black Desert are really appealing to established niche market; which while cool is not that big a deal really.

Rumors of the Guild Wars 2 expansion seem firmer than in the past six months or so. Some alleged copyright was spotted under the moniker: Guild War 2: Heart of Thorns. We shall see what becomes of it all.

Everquest Next is the one I'm waiting for. Hopefully we'll see a beta this year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not aware of any big MMOs.

I hope The Re-Population makes some good progress.

EQ Next is probably the next big MMO to be released, but isn't that 2016 or 2017?

15+ Year Old Account
    Do we really need another mmo to fall flat on its feet?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Do we really need another mmo to fall flat on its feet?
    Sigh.

Meanwhile, in the real world, most MMOs that have launched post Warhammer are alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    Everquest Next is the next big MMO to fall flat. The game will be f2p since launch so the devs are clearly aware how much it will fail, they don't even ask for money.
    How is it that people say F2P is "greedy" and a "money grab" but also say that it will make "no money"?

F2p usually turns into p2w and/or pay gates.

Regardless, f2p MMOs that are launched as f2p are always sandboxes with no end game content and of which you get bored within one or two months, and the playerbase drops to 100-300k.
    Usually? Can you please back that up with some sort of evidence.

Also, how is it that F2P games survive past 2 months, then? How come they continue to exist for years and years if what you say is true?

F2p games that are p2w? Neverwinter Online, Rift. You can literally buy gear with money. Then we have LOTRO with pay gates.

F2p games survive because they don't churn out real content like raids and new areas, so they can function with small funds paid by their microscopic playerbase.
    Neverwinters gear stops being BoE after entry level T2. T2.5 and higher is all BoP. The BIS gear hasn't been purchasable with money for over a year now.
    Rift has only sold entry level gear in their cash market, meant to catch players up with the current raid tier. None of it has been BIS.

How is having entry level gear "winning" in an MMO?

In lotro, you can either grind points to unlock new leveling zones, takes a while, or pay to access them quickly.
    It's the same thing in League of Legends and just about any F2P model.

How is it a "pay wall" if you don't have to pay?

Also, Neverwinter online adds new zones and dungeons every few months.
    Rift just added an expansion a few months ago with raids.
    Lotro added Gondor last year.

How is that not "raids and new areas"?
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2015-01-13 at 01:36 PM.

Sure, to build the pyramid, you can either pay to buy 10.000 slaves and get it done in a decade or so OR you can build it yourself and finish in 10.000 years. No one says you have to pay money for help.
    So...

What are you saying?

That it's a pay wall / winning because you don't want to grind to get it?
    Does that mean it isn't a pay wall / winning for people who do want to grind to get it?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    I don't understand the obsession with "new" MMOs when games like Elderscolls, Warframe, Firefall, Neverwinter, Starwars, ect, keep making such dramatic improvements.
    Is that a joke? SWTOR has been a lagfest since they launched their expansion, they created tactical/solo flashpoints to handle a dwindling playerbase and 4 hour queues when not maxed level. probably the only good thing that SWTOR has done in a while is SH and Flagships, even star fighter has become crappy with matches being forfeit before they start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

I'm saying that if you pay money, you get over the paywalls and timewalls thus PAY TO WIN!
    So, by that logic, World of Warcraft is P2W because you can skip leveling by buy a boost to level 90.

You can "get over a time wall".
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2015-01-13 at 01:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    F2p usually turns into p2w and/or pay gates.

Regardless, f2p MMOs that are launched as f2p are always sandboxes with no end game content and of which you get bored within one or two months, and the playerbase drops to 100-300k.
    Rift and Tera have stayed up somehow after going F2P w/o ridiculous gating or P2W. They must be witches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Yes, it's p2w to a degree.

Imagine a race where most runners start at the starting line, but a few have paid a fee to start at the middle of the track. They will reach the end of the track first, thus they have paid to win and their only competitions are the other runners who paid the fee.

Time = content. The more of a headstart you have, the faster will you acquire gear and obtain benefits ahead of the people who didn't pay.
    Just so you understand, most people consider downing heroic raids, getting high ranks in PvP, completing challenge modes, ect, "winning".

If you put a new player in entry level raid gear, they will not suddenly be able to complete heroic raids or get 3k arena rating. They have to learn how to be good at the game first.

So, the idea that getting to level 90 quickly, or even instantly, is "winning" is probably not wide spread.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2015-01-13 at 01:48 PM.

Yes, it's p2w to a degree.

Imagine a race where most runners start at the starting line, but a few have paid a fee to start at the middle of the track. They will reach the end of the track first, thus they have paid to win and their only competitions are the other runners who paid the fee.

Time = content. The more of a headstart you have, the faster will you acquire gear and obtain benefits ahead of the people who didn't pay.
    Well, 0 is a degree, so technically you are right.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Tera not just staying up but thriving.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Rift and Tera have stayed up somehow after going F2P w/o ridiculous gating or P2W. They must be witches.

Tera is actually the 3rd largest grossing MMO, and its pay structure is almost all vanity items. No pay to win, Just pay to look like PedoBears.

Quote Originally Posted by Draxxa View Post
    Tera is actually the 3rd largest grossing MMO, and its pay structure is almost all vanity items. No pay to win, Just pay to look like PedoBears.
    Just goes to show how a rewarding combat system can be addictive in and of itself, in my opinion.

The moment to moment play, the rush of pulling off a perfect dodge or combo, the ability to challenge oneself against BAMs... all great spaces to promote the dopamine release associated with fiero.