Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Ice Nova will give a more reliable performance on single target (the DPS is theoretically pretty close but Ice Nova is just far easier to maximise), but you should still consider using Frost Bomb on Tectus, Twin Ogron, and any other fight where you feel like you may have two or more targets available next to each other for a significant portion of the fight.

It's so easy to get two fingers of frost procs at once that there is no benefit to holding one, even with Frost Bomb. Especially if Water Jet or Frozen Orb are up.
    What does having two before casting Frost Bomb even accomplish for you? You don't gain anything by casting two FoF's into it back to back over casting it and then one and then proccing another. It's duration when cast is long enough that you are unlikely to save any GCDs by waiting, and you are likely to lose potential ice lances, which will cost you more DPS.
    Last edited by Imnick; 2015-01-15 at 02:47 PM.

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato Bus View Post
    Kuni may have better information, I would suggest PM'ing Kuni or asking in Kuni's frost guide. I hope I wasn't misinforming others...
    The sim does actually use it at 2 stacks outside of TV+IV or FoF itself about to expire. Practical difference is small.
    Last edited by Kuni Zyrekai; 2015-01-15 at 03:38 PM.

If you guys are curious...
    My mage - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...tymog/advanced
    My logs from a few kills. https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking.../latest#boss=0

Now something that's changed is I cast water jet manually and cast frost bomb at 1 proc instead of 2. (sort of, see below)

I did a run last night, but the guild I ran with didn't have logs. I did 23k on Kargath (a 5k improvement from my previous attempt), which was a huge improvement from over a week ago. I'm not sure if it's because I didn't save up for 2 FoF or if i'm just used to the fight. I'll get some logs if I run another heroic this week and compare.

My current strat for frost bomb is....
    Cast Fb- get 1 FoF proc
    Cast a 2nd Fb - unknown if i get a stack yet until i'm already casting
    Cast frost bomb (hoping the previous hit got a FoF proc.) If not, I go ahead and use my Fof proc and start fishing for more with Fb.

This balances out the ideology of the 2 concepts I'm hearing. On 1 hand, it prevents clipping FoF procs.

I'm not too familiar with the sims, but this seems to fit in well with the need for a reaction time. I'll look through some of the links you guys posted tonight when i'm not at work lol.

To answer Imnick's question about holding frost bomb for 2 procs, I completely understand why people would want to do it. You want to cast as many ice lances on the frost bomb as possible. If you're only casting 1-2 Fof procs at it per cast, then you're having to cast it more when you could be casting another Fb. If you want for the 2 procs, you're guaranteed at least 2 and maybe more. With 1 proc, you're only guaranteed 1 or more. This means you're casting frost bomb more and you could be casting Fb more.
    I don't know if that makes sense, i'm kinda of in a hurry to type out my thoughts.

Deleted
    Get a hotkey to jet and and use it on CD but make sure you get 2 frostbolts in for 2 procs, and you want to use Frozen orb and Crystal together at all time, so you them both in your opener and dont cast frozen orb til you have. and ofc dont use Water jet when you with frozen orb you'll lose procs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonni View Post
    Get a hotkey to jet and and use it on CD but make sure you get 2 frostbolts in for 2 procs, and you want to use Frozen orb and Crystal together at all time, so you them both in your opener and dont cast frozen orb til you have. and ofc dont use Water jet when you with frozen orb you'll lose procs.
    Yep, that's what i'm doing at this point.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thaynia View Post
    Assuming I go with the advice and never cancel a cast, how would i know to cast frost bomb or blow the icy proc as the 3rd one is on it's way to the boss.
    You can't, it's impossible. Any proc that triggers upon impacting the target will be delayed by 1 cast if you chaincast like you should.

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    You can't, it's impossible. Any proc that triggers upon impacting the target will be delayed by 1 cast if you chaincast like you should.
    I think this is why they were saying you cast frost bomb after 1 proc instead of 2, that way if the next cast procs, you are already casting your instant-cast ice lance and you avoid clipping the 3rd one, the downside is if it doesn't proc, you're wasting some of your frost-bomb uptime.

http://altered-time.com/forum/viewto...&t=1009#p10647
    Here's some actual numbers on 1 vs 2 procs before casting frost bomb.

Deleted
    Just for the record, i'm not sure those sims are 100% reliable. I just ran a quick test out of curiosity.