10+ Year Old Account

how does dark cultist work?

i play dark cultist. have3/2 water elemental and 6/5 arena master dude on board opponent plays blizzard kills dark cultist and elemental and not a single card is drawn. so because the animation goes from one side to the other it won't count the water elemental? why the hell not?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

It plays the death sequence of all cards first, then the sequence where things happen when minions die. Since the cultist was dead before it could get to the next sequence nothing happened.

Or something like that.

Deleted
    First off, you mean Cult Master. Secondly it doesn't matter about the animation, it deals 2 damage to all cards at the same time, and with the card dead at the same time, it can't draw any cards. If it played the way you think it played, it'd be a mainstay in every aggro deck, due to board clears granting an insane card advantage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    First off, you mean Cult Master. Secondly it doesn't matter about the animation, it deals 2 damage to all cards at the same time, and with the card dead at the same time, it can't draw any cards. If it played the way you think it played, it'd be a mainstay in every aggro deck, due to board clears granting an insane card advantage.
    Funnily enough, that doesn't hold true for all cards. Troggzor for example even if Polymorphed, Hexed or killed by a Fireball WILL have his ability go off before he does so. It leads to some inconsistency that might confuse people.

Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Funnily enough, that doesn't hold true for all cards. Troggzor for example even if Polymorphed, Hexed or killed by a Fireball WILL have his ability go off before he does so. It leads to some inconsistency that might confuse people.
    Don't see how it's confusing. Cult Master draws a card after your minion dies, so it can't draw a card when it dies. While Troggzor spawns a Burly Rockjaw Trogg when you cast a spell, before that spell lands.

---

To add, sure the card text can be a bit missleading; "Whenever one of your other minions dies, draw a card". But you already see from there that the minion has to die first, hence the draw happens after the death of a minion and if Cult Master dies at the same time as the other minion.. You will not get the draw.
    Last edited by mrgreenthump; 2015-01-14 at 03:57 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Well no see that's different.

The spell is cast.
    Troggzor activates.
    Spell hits Troggzor.
    Troggzor dies.

Whereas with the Cult Master example above.

Blizzard is cast.
    Minions Die.
    If Cult Master is alive, this is where he would activate, but he isn't alive, so he doesn't activate. (and like I said before, if he did activate here, he would be one of the single most broken cards in the game)

It's just standard CCG "exact wording on cards" coming into play, and the fact that you can't see all the different "phases" like you would in a traditional card game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    It plays the death sequence of all cards first, then the sequence where things happen when minions die. Since the cultist was dead before it could get to the next sequence nothing happened.

Or something like that.
    Actually it's First Damage Goes out (on hit effects such as gurubashi beserker are calculated). Then Death Sequence from left to right. Then deathrattles. Then card effects. Interestingly enough sometimes the system lags and you will have some effects go slightly out of order such as a warrior's death bite deathrattle going off after a havester golem spawns the 2/1 and killing both but no often. Also I found that Deathrattles trigger from the initiating minion then the target minion. So my slyvanas kills another slyvanis and I get a molten giant that is then given back to my opponent. Lucky my opponent conceded in the middle of the exchange before he figured out he didn't lose it.

- - - Updated - - -

Well no see that's different.

The spell is cast.
    Troggzor activates.
    Spell hits Troggzor.
    Troggzor dies.

Whereas with the Cult Master example above.

Blizzard is cast.
    Minions Die.
    If Cult Master is alive, this is where he would activate, but he isn't alive, so he doesn't activate. (and like I said before, if he did activate here, he would be one of the single most broken cards in the game)

It's just standard CCG "exact wording on cards" coming into play, and the fact that you can't see all the different "phases" like you would in a traditional card game.
    is it me or is troggzor the 7 drop loatheb of GVG?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shammypie View Post
    is it me or is troggzor the 7 drop loatheb of GVG?
    Wouldn't go that far, Loatheb was an auto include in pretty much every deck at the time, and still gets a fair amount of play. Trogg'zor shares the 7 mana slot with Dr. Boom, who is pretty much better in everyway, and i've only seen Trogg'zor played in a handful of decks so far.

He seems interesting, but I think with his cost, and the slow nature of his card effect, he won't ever see much constructed play. And by slow I mean that, he isn't going to stop a Freeze Mage or a Miracle Rogue (if they still existed) from going hambone on your face, because you have to wait until next turn to do anything with the minions, whereas Loatheb stops the burst dead in its tracks.

Interestingly enough sometimes the system lags and you will have some effects go slightly out of order such as a warrior's death bite deathrattle going off after a havester golem spawns the 2/1 and killing both but no often. Also I found that Deathrattles trigger from the initiating minion then the target minion. So my slyvanas kills another slyvanis and I get a molten giant that is then given back to my opponent. Lucky my opponent conceded in the middle of the exchange before he figured out he didn't lose it.
    In the case of multiple deathrattles queued, the card that was played first will activate first. So if the Harvest Golem was played before the Deathbite, the golem activates first, summoning the 2/1, then the axe shatters killing it. Similarly if you play your sylvanas first, then ram it into their sylvanas, your MC will activate first, and then their MC will take the minion right back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razia
    Hey Garrosh, stop screaming so loud. No, you can scream, it's alright. Just take it down about... 5% please. Thanks!

Wouldn't go that far, Loatheb was an auto include in pretty much every deck at the time, and still gets a fair amount of play. Trogg'zor shares the 7 mana slot with Dr. Boom, who is pretty much better in everyway, and i've only seen Trogg'zor played in a handful of decks so far.

He seems interesting, but I think with his cost, and the slow nature of his card effect, he won't ever see much constructed play. And by slow I mean that, he isn't going to stop a Freeze Mage or a Miracle Rogue (if they still existed) from going hambone on your face, because you have to wait until next turn to do anything with the minions, whereas Loatheb stops the burst dead in its tracks.
    I noticed the same with Foe-Reaper. When I saw that card I thought it would be an auto-include. As soon as that thing hits the board the opponent removes it.

Quote Originally Posted by danlathegreat View Post
    In the case of multiple deathrattles queued, the card that was played first will activate first. So if the Harvest Golem was played before the Deathbite, the golem activates first, summoning the 2/1, then the axe shatters killing it. Similarly if you play your sylvanas first, then ram it into their sylvanas, your MC will activate first, and then their MC will take the minion right back.
    interesting. I noticed this queing also works for KT as he rezes the first killed minion and so on until your board is full or there are none left. I made sure to sac big minions first from now on.

Side note anyone have an opponent play KT and then Faceless KT? I had this happen once and didn't have an answer for the first let alone the second.

15+ Year Old Account
    interesting. I noticed this queing also works for KT as he rezes the first killed minion and so on until your board is full or there are none left. I made sure to sac big minions first from now on.

Side note anyone have an opponent play KT and then Faceless KT? I had this happen once and didn't have an answer for the first let alone the second.
    A shaman can KT then Reinc him on the same turn (T10). Because a KT has died, the KT still on the board resurrects it. You finish with 2 KT's for 10 mana on one turn.

It was monstrously huge in Crusher Shaman decks. Less so now as Shaman is getting faster with GvG.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Deleted
    i have a slightly different question, although its similar to dark cultist / aoe thing so i wont be making new topic:

mage has some minions on board and duplicate in play
    aoe wipes whole board

which minion will be duplicated? the one that was played first? leftmost one? random one?

I can partially answer your question in that I always get the one that was played first which happens to also be the leftmost one.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laciaty View Post
    i have a slightly different question, although its similar to dark cultist / aoe thing so i wont be making new topic:

mage has some minions on board and duplicate in play
    aoe wipes whole board

which minion will be duplicated? the one that was played first? leftmost one? random one?
    Whatever was played first.

My first-played is not always left-most as board position can be important.

Plus I like to mix it up anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a doozy just to keep things confusing:

Know what happens when a pally plays Mad Scientist, then Repentance, then has his scientist killed and has Avenge pulled, with nothing else on board?

He ends up with an Avenge-buffed Mad Scientist.

Hit kills Scientist. It pulls out Avenge. Repentance resolves next so it respawns the Scientist. Avenge now confirms that a minion was just killed (the attack isn't over until everything resolves!) and there's a valid target for its effect, so it resolves and buffs the Scientist.

Found this one out by accident.

Secrets are fucking whack.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Would be pretty fucking strong if you could go:

"Man, what an impressive board I have created! This beta male just can't compete with my alpha shenanigans ... though I suppose it does leave me susceptible to board clear damn it... think... I KNOW! I'll throw down a Cult Master so I can draw like 6 cards when he clears my board and be at an even bigger advantage than I was before!"