Raid Finder, Normal, Heroic, and Mythic... Overkill?

Am I the only one that finds the 5 million versions of the same raid.... ridiculous? Would anyone prefer just different sets of raids as it used to be with just raid finder and a regular difficulty, or do most people like this setup?

I neither like nor dislike it. However, I can't recall any period in WoW during which there were only "just raid finder and a regular difficulty". After raid finder came out, the least were LFR + Normal + Heroic, which is only 1 less difficulty than currently. To make it worse, LFR were even needed back then for set bonuses / trinkets. At least now I don't feel like I'm gimping myself / my raid if I don't do LFR on the first week it come out anymore.

Most games have multiple difficulty levels, such as Easy/Normal/Hard/Nintendo-Hard; why should WoW be different?

I understand raid finder wasn't always there, however for the solo player that wanted to experience the raid lore it was a nice addition. Not to mention in MC BwL days I never even made it past the insta respawn slow the whole raid tunnel of death.

SO i approved of raid finder to experience all the encounters. But not the 5 million versions of the same raid instead of different raids with varying difficulties.

It seems I am one of the few judging from the first two posts that dis agree with this system.

Yeah, its a bit ridiculous, but I understand Blizzard desire to make 7 bosses for 4 categories of people (say - bleeding edge players, hardcore players, avg players, casuals) instead of making 28 bosses - 7 for each group.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it probably works out best this way. Everyone gets to see the same bosses, no matter your level of interest in raiding, and you can generally find a difficulty that matches how much time/effort/organization you want to put into it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Psssst... You don't actually have to run all 4.

They come in 4 levels of difficulty in order to be more accessible to a larger playerbase. That's a good thing.

Most players only do LFR

Some are still working on normal.

Some are transitioning from normal to H

Some are working on H

Some are transitioning from H to M

Some are working on M

and the <.1% have it all on farm.
    Last edited by Saverem; 2015-01-14 at 10:50 PM.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness View Post
    I think it probably works out best this way. Everyone gets to see the same bosses, no matter your level of interest in raiding, and you can generally find a difficulty that matches how much time/effort/organization you want to put into it.
    My thoughts exactly. Furthermore, if you are raiding Mythics you probably aren't raiding LFRs (except perhaps on alts) so you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who is raiding all 4 difficulties on their main per week. More choice in HOW you want to see the content is a good thing. At least for my guild it is working out quite nicely. We have people who come and raid heroic modes with our team, we have people who just stick with normals and we have people who play LFRs. It's nice to see people enjoying the content however they want.

It covers every aspect of the player base. Really you shouldn't be doing more than two.

LFR-Super casual player that can't commit to any sort of schedule and logs on sporadically.

Normal-Fairly casual player who wants to raid with friends/family/social guilds that don't have any sort of set schedule or attendance requirements.

Heroic-Semi serious/hardcore player who wants a challenge and raid in a set schedule, hopefully aspiring to down Mythic.

Mythic-The best of the best.

Those who do LFR may eventually do Normal. Those who do Normal may eventually do Heroic. I would reckon most who do Heroic will eventually do Mythic although their actual Mythic progress will vary.

Overkill? Back in my day we would run Trial of the Crusader 25 man normal, 25 man heroic, 10 man normal, and 10 man heroic each week. Sometimes on the same day back to back.

The only time I found it tiring was when flex first came out and we were running (old) normals at our usual times, flex for gear and LFR for gear also.

Same number of difficulties as 10-normal, 10-heroic, 25-normal, 25-heroic.

Mind you I think raids felt way more intimidating and mysterious when there was only one difficulty. Naxxramas was a semi-mythical place until Wrath of the Lich King. First stepping into the Black Temple was really cool.

These days you always do raids on a very easy difficulty first so they're not particularly intimidating or mysterious.
    Last edited by Nitros14; 2015-01-16 at 03:01 PM.