Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Guys, you don't understand. It was Taken 3. The final of the trilogy. People needed to crisply hear the gunshots to know what was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    The guy was offended that the theatre manager asked him to come back when the theatre was less crowded, which I find perplexing. If his presence wasn't actually causing problems I very highly doubt they would have asked him to leave. I'm not saying that the possibility of someone being offended at the mere presence of a disabled person doesn't exist, but it's probably unlikely.
    You'd be surprised. It's usually not outright disgust or offence, but some people get rather upset when they're confronted with people with disabilities. I volunteered at a school for the long-term disabled and during trips and special events, some of the reactions you'd get from "normal" people were astounding. We were asked to move to less visible areas or outright leave on more than a few occasions. The weirdest one was when one of the less impaired students had a friend visiting the school and she actually started crying and wouldn't go near any of the kids or talk to them or even respond when they talked to her. I asked her what happened later on and her explanation was basically that being reminded of how tough some people's lives are made her feel really bad.

To be fair, it's a shitty situation and it's hard for some people to know how to feel and how to act, and some do feel a misplaced sense of guilt, sadly rather than deal with that and realizing that it's not their fault that someone else is disabled, they sometimes would rather just not have the cause of their discomfort present.

Deleted
    What a saddening story... You would think the volume of the movie would cancel out the noise of the ventilator(?)
    From the picture, it looks like the man is in a wheel-chair? - So maybe "just" place him further back in the theater?

I "hope" the noise was annoying, and this is not just about people being awkward around handicapped people.

Some people just don´t know how to behave near handicapped people, and they become awkward - which 90% of the time, becomes a problem for the handicapped person.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Sorry if this was discussed already -- I realize this likely didn't happen in the US but don't most countries have some sort of ADA like clause that means that businesses have to, in general, attempt to accommodate disabled people?

I realize this sort of situation is tricky -- on one hand a person who pays for a ticket should have a reasonable expectation of being able to enjoy a movie with minimal distraction -- and in any sort of typical scenario someone being disruptive would be ejected. But on the other hand someone with a disability should have a reasonable expectation to be able to watch a movie without being humiliated.

The movie theater was put in a really awful place when the complaints started rolling in.

I feel that I can safely state, however, that the people complaining are pretty awful people. They should be ashamed of themselves.
    The ADA doesn't tend to fell into these guideless, a close parable is Tourettes, of which their is numerous reports of people being asked to leave theatres, and (to my knowledge) there have been very little successful claims/rulings in favor of plaintiffs.
    "Well shit, ya'll have fun now"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    Frankly, if people decided to stop watching the movie and instead complain about the ventilator, it HAD to make sound and it HAD to be LOUD. Otherwise, as you sy it, they WOULDNT EVEN NOTICE IT.
    THIS! So much this.

I'm really having a hard time to understand how everyone goes apeshit about this.
    Sure they could have asked him directly to leave the theatre but that's about it.

If you disturb the audience you have to leave no matter your circumstances.
    He might have been lucky the last times but this time it just didn't work out.
    26803200 Pixels

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    You'd be surprised. It's usually not outright disgust or offence, but some people get rather upset when they're confronted with people with disabilities. I volunteered at a school for the long-term disabled and during trips and special events, some of the reactions you'd get from "normal" people were astounding. We were asked to move to less visible areas or outright leave on more than a few occasions. The weirdest one was when one of the less impaired students had a friend visiting the school and she actually started crying and wouldn't go near any of the kids or talk to them or even respond when they talked to her. I asked her what happened later on and her explanation was basically that being reminded of how tough some people's lives are made her feel really bad.

To be fair, it's a shitty situation and it's hard for some people to know how to feel and how to act, and some do feel a misplaced sense of guilt, sadly rather than deal with that and realizing that it's not their fault that someone else is disabled, they sometimes would rather just not have the cause of their discomfort present.
    :/ That's horrible, I'm sorry that you and the students you volunteered for experienced this. I really appreciate the fact that you took the time to write out this post, because it was very thought-provoking for me!

So don't sit next to Darth Vader here. Problem solved.

10+ Year Old Account
    That must be a loud as hell ventilator if it makes someone having to leave.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Zangu View Post
    THIS! So much this.
    Not necessarily. I've seen people people complain of minor imperfections in tiled floors in public places, something like a crack on the corner of a single tile. It's completely possible they guy just got unlucky and got placed in a theater with a few extremely anal people.
    3DS Friend Code: 1891-2236-0134

Deleted
    Isn't Taken 3 a movie about shooting people in the face? How do you even notice a ventilator

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zangu View Post
    THIS! So much this.

I'm really having a hard time to understand how everyone goes apeshit about this.
    Sure they could have asked him directly to leave the theatre but that's about it.

If you disturb the audience you have to leave no matter your circumstances.
    He might have been lucky the last times but this time it just didn't work out.
    He frequented regular - don't you think this issue would've occurred sooner.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    Not necessarily. I've seen people people complain of minor imperfections in tiled floors in public places, something like a crack on the corner of a single tile. It's completely possible they guy just got unlucky and got placed in a theater with a few extremely anal people.
    Exactly it's like are in denial about common human behaviour